Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

The Last Dinosaur Goes Extinct

22 posts in this topic

Next Generation Global Ford Ranger Not For US

782.jpg

Link: Pickup Trucks.com

Ford CEO Alan Mullaly says that there are no plans to sell Ford's next-generation global Ranger compact pickup (code-named T6) in the U.S., according to a report in Automotive News.

Ford sells two version of the Ranger - the U.S.-built Ranger that's sold domestically and in Canada, and a Thai-built Ranger that shares only its name with the North American Ranger. Production of the U.S. Ranger is scheduled to end production by 2011.

Mullaly previously said that the next-gen global Ranger was under consideration for sale here.

So what might take the U.S. Ranger's place after 2011? Our sources say that Ford is seriously considering reviving plans to build the shelved F-100 midsize pickup to help meet tough new fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions regulations that are to be phased in by 2016.

The F-100's footprint is said to be significantly shorter but almost as wide as a current F-150 half-ton and larger in all dimensions than the T6 Ranger.

At the 2009 State Fair of Texas, we asked Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, about the F-100. His coy response instead of dismissing the long-rumored truck?

"We have nothing to announce. We don't talk about future product plans," Fields said.

Good riddance...stale...stale product.

Chris

Bingo!

Chris

Good riddance...stale...stale product.

Chris

You meant MOLDY and ROTTEN, right?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you guys were talking about the GMC Canyon/Chevrolet Colorado, a pair of trucks that make even the ancient Ranger look competent by comparison.

Hey! What are pool guys, pest control, NAPA, and Couriers going to do?

Hopefully buy HHR panel vans!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you guys were talking about the GMC Canyon/Chevrolet Colorado, a pair of trucks that make even the ancient Ranger look competent by comparison.

THREAD HIJACKER! :hijacked:

I never said that the Colorado or Canyon were good trucks...in fact they are dismal failures in my eyes. This thread is about the crusty, crappy Ford Ranger...which is a dismal P.O.S. in my opinion

Sadly, if I were in the market for a small/midsized truck...the Tacoma would have to be # 1 on my list...which is exactly why I am NOT in the market for a small/midsized truck!

Buy a Ford Ranger is essentially like buying a 20 year-old new truck. It hasn't changed much at all. The interior is made from Tupperware and Playskool toys, the exterior is chintzy and limp-wristed, and the powertrain would make a better yacht anchor. Every time I see a new Ranger on the road I can't help but have one thought in my head in regards to the guy who bought it: "What a dumbass."

Buy a Ford Ranger is essentially like buying a 20 year-old new truck. It hasn't changed much at all. The interior is made from Tupperware and Playskool toys, the exterior is chintzy and limp-wristed, and the powertrain would make a better yacht anchor. Every time I see a new Ranger on the road I can't help but have one thought in my head in regards to the guy who bought it: "What a dumbass."

Probably sells to cheapskates. Seems to sell to a lot of 50+ yr old men with beards that go fishin'. My brother, who is in that demographic, is on his 2nd one (after an S10) and several of his fishing buddies have them. Cheap, reliable, basic transportation.

The dash last changed in '96, and the exterior is pretty much the same as the '93 but 4-5 nose jobs later (they stretched the regular cab somewhere in there also).

I'm trying to figure out why, other that interiors, the Chevy/GMC twins are so horrible compared to the Ford? They have advanced DOHC engines of rather impressive output for their size and a V8 for people who want more.... Do their frames rot out ala Tundra/Tacoma? To their talegates bust?

To me, they are simply competent at what they do. They are nothing steller and they are certainly no CTS... but neither were meant to be.

Well..

• They got a hell of a deal on it no doubt. It's cheap and they never sell at sticker.
  • Its brand new so it has a warranty
  • Its brand new so odds are decent the engine or transmission won't crap the bed 2 days after they buy it
  • It has a warranty so it would cover such an event

[8]Plus the reliability of the "newer" ones may be better than the older ones.

Maybe Ford should lower the price and ad a diesel option..something to compete with that Indian truck coming over here soon.

I'm trying to figure out why, other that interiors, the Chevy/GMC twins are so horrible compared to the Ford? They have advanced DOHC engines of rather impressive output for their size and a V8 for people who want more.... Do their frames rot out ala Tundra/Tacoma? To their talegates bust?

To me, they are simply competent at what they do. They are nothing steller and they are certainly no CTS... but neither were meant to be.

Not that they are "bad" really, just not great. That, and the fact that they never hit the sweet spot in the market like the old S-10s did. No matter what you think of the S-10 it sold in huge numbers.

Colorado/Canyon come off as sort of clumsy products, and (at least initially) had less payload than the S-10 they replaced. That made the new truck less capable than the old - not a great start.

I think the time is right for a new, true, compact pickup with gobs of utility at a sizeable discount vs. a full-size. The lack of a substantial savings in purchase price over the full-size has really hurt the sales of trucks like this, not to mention a less than dramatic difference in fuel economy.

I would love to buy another S-10 sized/type truck. Owned two of them and they are great trucks.

Agree, Oldsmoboi that the Colorado/Canyon are decent product. A lowered quad cab Colorado or Canyon with some extra chrome...perfect vehicle to tow a Formula Ford to Mid Ohio....hmmm.

Now if I could just loose about 50 lbs of "Chris" and fit into a Formula Ford, we'd be all set.

Chris

I really miss my 2004 Colorado. So much, I want to buy another as soon as I can. When you really look at the price difference, it is substantial between 900 and 355... about $8000, give or take. The Colorado has better fuel mileage than the smaller Ranger, more power and more room. Shame Ford is apparently giving up on the small truck... I sincerely hope GM does not follow suit... now is not the time to "upsize" anything. Edited by ocnblu

Hey! What are pool guys, pest control, NAPA, and Couriers going to do?

Transit Connect?

Thanks for the picture in Victory Red, Mr. Bond.

Also, to further defend the 355 v. the hoary Ranger, the Ford rides like a brick and handles like a tippy old farm wagon compared to a 355.

if i had been more financially sound i would have gotten a green and silver 1500 ext z71, but part time jobs dont afford $350+ payments when you are in school so for $311 a month (was $280 until i added the warranty and health insurance) i got my z71 colorado crewcab LS. 21 mpg combined as opposed to the 10-11 of the 1990 SS (would have kept that if i could have) plus seating for 4 or 5. room for dogs and other crap and plus i can still tow the stratos no prob. i would like to have the new 5.3 colorado but i'd kill my mpg in that thing... pluss i dont like the fact that its limited by the frame.

truckandhouse.jpg

I wish Ford would make up its mind. First it was the new Ranger, then rumors of an F-100, then rumors the F-100 had been shelved in favor of a global Ranger, and now rumors that the F-100 is back on the drawing board. With all the focus on small cars lately (no pun intended) and the potential for gas prices to shoot back up to where they were last summer, it doesn't make much sense to revisit the F-100 right now. However, I think the reason they are doing it is because if gas prices do go up again, having a smaller F-series vehicle would help prevent some sales erosion of the nameplate.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room