2011 Regal: A Buick bred on the Autobahn

Drew Dowdell

I think if you look closely, the entire front fascia has been tweaked...maybe not a huge difference, but noticeable...

I studied the photos and really couldn't see the difference. Must be very subtle. One difference I see is the Chinese version has chrome in the lower grilles inboard of the driving lights.

I studied the photos and really couldn't see the difference. Must be very subtle. One difference I see is the Chinese version has chrome in the lower grilles inboard of the driving lights.

Maybe it's because I can't find any pictures from the same angles, but as far as I can tell, the grille on ours is taller, and more rounded on the bottom.

The lower air intake on ours is smaller and has a single horizontal bar instead of a mesh appearance

The foglight housings are completely different shapes, as are the foglights themselves.

Also, I believe the repeater lamps on the side are different

I give it a solid "eh". Better power-train than the Malibu is tantalizing but that interior, save for the seats, which I like, is so very uninteresting. The Malibu has more flair.

On the exterior it's a solid design 'till the C-Pillar then it all comes apart for me. That back-end just ruins the car.

I give it a solid "eh". Better power-train than the Malibu is tantalizing but that interior, save for the seats, which I like, is so very uninteresting. The Malibu has more flair.

On the exterior it's a solid design 'till the C-Pillar then it all comes apart for me. That back-end just ruins the car.

The rear is my favorite aspect of the car, though I'd rather see chrome framing on the taillights..they look kind of cheap w/o it, IMHO. I'd like the see the Insignia's hatchback body and wagon here as alternate bodystyles also, and a diesel w/ manual, of course.

Seriously? The Regal's interior is so much more masterfully-detailed than the Malibu's, which wasn't all that cutting edge when it debuted, in my opinion.

Look at the door panels, the Malibu's clunky plastic shifter vs. the Regal's, the Malibu's radio unit (corporate unit 'stuck' into the dash) vs. the Regal's, the Malibu's impossibly boring steering wheel vs. the Regal's. To each his own, I just don't see how this:

ag_08malibuls_intright.jpg

has more "flair" than this:

x11bu_rg011.jpg

...at all.

Honestly, the door panels alone tell the story.

The Malibu's door panel is a flat sheet of plastic with a dinky door handle punched in, a two-by-four for the window switches and an ash-tray for a grab handle. People notice details like this in an interior. It just looks low-rent compared to the Regal.

I really want to like the Regal. The exterior still looks bloated/melted to me, but that interior is fantastic. I'd really like to see it in the steel before I make my decision.

Only two things I don't like on this car are the wheels and the rear. Wheels are an easy fix, and the rear I could live with. That cabin to me looks like a great place to spend a lot of time (and driving on LI, well, that's where you spend a lot of time)

This car is growing on me fast. I like it because it has the turbo-4 cylinder and the economy that implies. It's got all of the luxury goodies I want without costing 48k like the CTS. It's suspension is German tuned so it'll handle well and it's a Buick so it'll be silent. (just did a drive from Columbus Oh to Pittsburgh in the CRV.... Honda needs to equip their vehicles with better stereos that can actually overcome all the road noise).

Or, to look at it another way... it's a luxury version of the Malibu without all the weight of the Lacrosse.

Perfect for me.

And they are not done yet. The tranny will work with the better engines. Remember anything Opel can do Buick can do if GM chooses. Note a mention a few weeks go of a GS model being possible?

I would look for priced to start in the mid 20K range on the more base Enterprise models and top out at just under 40K for the better models. It will be priced with or below the cars [Acura and Volvo] it is compared to by GM.I expect below.

The import part will help with he idiots that think a car is no good unless it is imported. We know the reality but preception is a big part of the game with the unknowing public.

If that thing tops out any more than 32-33K it will be WAY overpriced. The LaX CXL starts at 29K and I can get a loaded LaX CXL AWD or CXS for about 37K. So the Regal will have to cost less than 40 large for a loaded model in order to sell. I am hoping/betting on a 23/24K-32/33K for a loaded one.

Edited by gm4life

This car is growing on me fast. I like it because it has the turbo-4 cylinder and the economy that implies. It's got all of the luxury goodies I want without costing 48k like the CTS. It's suspension is German tuned so it'll handle well and it's a Buick so it'll be silent. (just did a drive from Columbus Oh to Pittsburgh in the CRV.... Honda needs to equip their vehicles with better stereos that can actually overcome all the road noise).

Or, to look at it another way... it's a luxury version of the Malibu without all the weight of the Lacrosse.

Perfect for me.

See that's exactly what I'm thinking. The overall package/configuration is like nothing GM offers or has offered in this segment, and one that is particularly interesting to me as a potential upgrade to the Cobalt once I'm settled in new digs and I figure out what I can afford and I come to the conclusion that I don't need a truck after all. It is growing on me, and I really can't wait to see one in person so I can decide how I feel about the exterior.

So far I like it, especially the interior. I would like the exterior more with (and many agree with me on this) different wheels.

GM, get some more pics out of this car, stat!

Also, why the Aisin transmission? Could GM not put one of its own with the turbo engine?

So far I like it, especially the interior. I would like the exterior more with (and many agree with me on this) different wheels.

GM, get some more pics out of this car, stat!

Also, why the Aisin transmission? Could GM not put one of its own with the turbo engine?

I haVEWNT LOooked it up, but what transmissions does the Insignia use?

IK that thing tops out any more than 32-33K it will be WAY overpriced. The LaX CXL starts at 29K and I can get a loaded LaX CXL AWD or CXS for about 37K. So the Regal will have to cost less than 40 large for a loaded model in order to sell. I am hoping/betting on a 23/24K-32/33K for a loaded one.

The all-new Regal is a great car that will sell very well for the segment. It should be considered that the

Regal 2.4L I-4 will likely boast a 33mpg figure when production ramps up since the Malibu 6-speed 2.4L I-4 has a 33mpg figure.

The Regal seems to be targeted directly at the Camry XLE I-4 and the Passat 2.0T. It will likely be priced around $24-26k.It

will ultimately be positioned fully against the Camry XLE, both the I-4 and V-6 variants by 2012 MY. With the Regal taking the

higher end of the midsize segment, the Malibu will likely tighten its line-up to avoid unnecessary overlap.

Edited by carman21

I think many of hose who do not like this car will feel different once it is seen in person. Also I think many will be shocked when they drive one. This is a car that will finally compete with the market leaders.

Now that GM is meeting the market leaders I want to see them lead the market classes now. not just be as good but better. The coming cars should have a chance to do that. The Nox has already proven it can be done.

The Bu interior is nice but the Buick it a step above all the way.

I'm very happy to see standard leather and alloy wheels on the new Regal as well as it only being offered in the top of the line CXL trim. Now GM just needs to remove the cloth seats and plastic hubcaps from the rest of their line up and I think I'll be sold on their plans.

If this new Buick line up doesn't pull in many more customers, primarily many more young customers (as in too young to belong to AARP or use and oxygen tank) then it is safe to say for the first time in 30 years that its the customers fault for not trying the product, not GMs fault.

Some where there is a Buick dealer calling out to his employees: "Someone go grab a shovel so we can dig a grave for the Lucerne before the young folks get here."

That is more boring than the Saturn Aura.

Buick building "sport sedan" import fighters that would have been Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs or Saturns in the past isn't a good brand strategy. If they want sports sedans, then Buick should have died, and Pontiac should have stayed.

Regal will get quickly lost in the shuffle with the Altima, Mazda6, Milan/Fusion, etc.

+1, on all your comments.

With the new LaCrosse we emulate Lexus...and with the new Regal we emulate the Passat. (If you focus on the roofline and forget the taillamps for a second, it looks like a Passat). And I'm only talking about styling. Mechanically, it could be interesting. However, I don't like the way it looks.

I miss brands like Pontiac, when you knew a Pontiac was a Pontiac, even when newly released and if its badging was hidden.

The Regal getting quickly lost in the shuffle with the Altima, Mazda6, Milan/Fusion, etc will be nice for a change since they ar enot even found now in that crowd. It rare if you ever saw one in a crowd anymore in So Cal. LOL! I had a heck of a time getting an American rental car there my last trip. They look at me like I was crazy when I took the Buick. They even gave me a discount.

Wait till 2011 and when they start the line up in Oshawa Canada. We should start to see the really cool stuff like AWD, more power and a stick to make the 5 percenters happy.

Lets not for get about the hybrids too that will compete well with the tree huggers. This car looks like it will have something for everyone.

I don't think the Regal will get lost in the shuffle with the Fusion, Mazda 6, or Altima. It looks classier than any of those (sorry) lower brands. I could see it duking it out with the TSX, Passat, and S40.

Agreed on all counts, but I would say S60 and not S40. S40 is too small.

This could be the car that the premium/near-lux market needs to get it actually recognized as such by the mainstream... this and the new S60. And quite possibly the 9-5.

Now GM just needs to remove the cloth seats and plastic hubcaps from the rest of their line up and I think I'll be sold on their plans.

Some where there is a Buick dealer calling out to his employees: "Someone go grab a shovel so we can dig a grave for the Lucerne before the young folks get here."

No Buick cars for 2009 or 2010 have offered plastic hubcaps. In 2012 though, when/if this car gets a CX trim, I'm guessing it'll have cloth seats.

And I'm a "young person" and I know at least 2 others who are young and would love to own Lucernes.

I agree with you though, if customers don't give this Regal a shot, it's their fault.

Time will tell if the LaCrosse and Delta Buick (which seems to share more Buick styling DNA with LaCrosse) ring truer with customers than this Regal, which, aside from a grille and an iconic name, isn't recognizable as a tri-shield vehicle.

This is definitely a complete break with Buick's past, yet it has, once again, one of the most recognizable names on the market, even with the hiatus. Will that juxtaposition of cultures work out there in the market?

No Buick cars for 2009 or 2010 have offered plastic hubcaps. In 2012 though, when/if this car gets a CX trim, I'm guessing it'll have cloth seats.

And I'm a "young person" and I know at least 2 others who are young and would love to own Lucernes.

I agree with you though, if customers don't give this Regal a shot, it's their fault.

Lacrosse Link

Standard equipment on the Lacrosse is 17 inch steel wheels with wheel covers......... or as the rest of us know them.....plastic hubcaps.

Lacrosse Link

Standard equipment on the Lacrosse is 17 inch steel wheels with wheel covers......... or as the rest of us know them.....plastic hubcaps.

I apologize. I was under the impression these were those steel wheels that "look" like alloys. I didn't realize they were still using wheelcovers. I think it's absurd since the 2009 LaCrosse made alloys standard on the CX, as well as dual-zone climate control (while single zone is standard on the 2010 CX)

I apologize. I was under the impression these were those steel wheels that "look" like alloys. I didn't realize they were still using wheelcovers. I think it's absurd since the 2009 LaCrosse made alloys standard on the CX, as well as dual-zone climate control (while single zone is standard on the 2010 CX)

Also we have yet to see the CX Regal yet too.

Infact we have yet to see much of the other trim levels yet on the Regal. I kind of like seeing the mid level first as it gives people more to look forward too.

As far as I am concerned if it would not hurt sales too much I would rather see them adjust the prices and leave the mid level trim the base model. Base cars need to be Chevy.

Also absurd is dual exhaust on a car with an inline 4 cylinder.

You gonna call out Nissan on that one too?

Dual exhaust is not absurd on any 4-cylinder that is going to have a turbo. Turbo engines are all about breathing... both in and out.

Also we have yet to see the CX Regal yet too.

Infact we have yet to see much of the other trim levels yet on the Regal. I kind of like seeing the mid level first as it gives people more to look forward too.

As far as I am concerned if it would not hurt sales too much I would rather see them adjust the prices and leave the mid level trim the base model. Base cars need to be Chevy.

I may be wrong but I think GM said that the Regal was going to be sold on America only in the top level CXL trim with standard 18 inch alloys and leather seats.

I miss brands like Pontiac, when you knew a Pontiac was a Pontiac, even when newly released and if its badging was hidden.

Just because Pontiac is dead doesn't mean we can idolize how awesome it was without pointing out that your statement only applies to Pontiacs made over 25 years ago, maybe 30 years ago.

I may be wrong but I think GM said that the Regal was going to be sold on America only in the top level CXL trim with standard 18 inch alloys and leather seats.

Lutz and dealers are talking about a GS model already as well as a wagon. Hybrids will be added once production comes to Canada in 2011. There is a lot planned.

You gonna call out Nissan on that one too?

Dual exhaust is not absurd on any 4-cylinder that is going to have a turbo. Turbo engines are all about breathing... both in and out.

Duel exhaust is not abusrd for anyone who knows buyers. Not only do customers like the look of two tail pipes but they want the better sound of two pipes to avoid the fart can sound.

The fact is a single will flow better in most cases but I have found most willing to take the cut in power. Note Flowmaster offers a 3rd gen F body exhaust that comes in duel or single outlet. The single is worth 7-10 HP more but most buy the duel. The Camaro SS and WS6 4th gens also had single more powerful exhaust as an option for 1-2 years.

It is just all about giving the customer what they want. I know my company makes a lot of money selling fake duels to car and truck owners.

Edited by hyperv6

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll put my thoughts in anyway. I really really like this car. . . alot. Interior looks great. I like the wheels. I think it looks decided in keeping with where Buick's design language is going. It fits right in with the new LaX and Enclave.

This was supposed to be the next generation Saturn Aura and since it was already designed it would have been foolish to waste all that money and throw it away. and Buick needed a cheaper car than the Lacrosse if it wanted to survive. They should make a concept 2 door coupe version and call it a Rivera? see how that looks and get some feedback on it. So where is this car going to be built at?

Well, Buick uses a lot of French or Swiss names, haven't heard a Spanish name yet. Rivera is pretty similar to Riviera, don't you think it might lead to confusion?

I'm thinking "Rivera" was a typo.