Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Push comes to shove

Camino LS6

As I'm sure you guys know by now, it's been a rough year for me financially. There simply isn't any work. I've hung on about as long as I could, but things have reached the breaking point and I have to get something going.

So,this is what I think I'll do tomorrow. The plan is to put all of my vehicles up for sale and withdraw the last driveable one when the time comes. That means I'll end up keeping the Silverado, the wagon, or the Blazer for a bit.

I'm thinking of pricing them like this:

Blazer - $2,000 (not negotiable)

Mothertruck - $4,500 including thousands in new parts

Camino + parts Camino + thousands in new parts for resto $4,500

Wagon - $4,500

Jag - $1,500

Tilt trailer - $4000

Silverado w/plow, salt spreader and toolbox - $21K

Even if you were a millionare, I think this is the healthiest thing that you could do.

Hoping that you hold onto the wagon until things get a little bit better for me...

How far along is the Camino?

Chris

Yeah, I think I got the pricing right.

But the depth of my hatred for doing this can't be measured.

There simply are not any other options.

Nothing good about it at all, but it can't be helped.

It's a huge risk, and it means the end of my business. It also jeopardizes the arrangement by which I have this place of mine.

This is going to sound prfoundly stupid but...

Sometimes bad things happen to good people that bring about better things. But right now...going through a little frustration of my own.

However...woman I know from the SCCA, Cincinnati region...has Lou gehrigs disease/als...she just lost the ability to speak...attractive gal...about our age...and about to die.

Co worker of my wife's, early 20s, wonderful woman...ovarian cancer, has spread to her intestines and stomach, already had her uteris removed, she wanted to eventually have children just soooo badly....and it doesn't look like she is going to make it through 2010.

33 year old daughter of friends of mine from the Miata club...put herself through med school...married a great guy...mother of a 6 month old and a three year old....great doctor...great person...rare invasive form of breast cancer, she has a great attitude but is pretty much hosed.

15 year old daughter of very close friends of mine...beautiful girl...she modeled clothes of JC Penny's..the Limited...etc...has Lupis and several other muscular diseases. Right now the muscles in her back and buttocks have atrophied where she is having problems standing up unassisted...and the doctors only diagnosed her about a month ago. NOT good...

One of my 19 year old daughters good friends...is 17...great kid...plays sports...honor roll...getting kicked out of the house because she got her ears pierced twice. Go figure.

One of the teenagers who died of the swine flu was a close friend of a friend of mine...he was only 14.

Another one of my daughters friends came out as a lesbian...is also getting kicked out of her house...she is also 17. Feel so sorry for her.

On the positive side, looks like the girl/parents putting the rape charges against my sons friend are about to drop all charges and let everything die. So sometimes there is hope.

Not saying this to hijack your thread...but man...there is just sooo much misery all around right now it seems. IIRC Dave 87rs is laid off, Dodgefan is laid off/looking for work, Paulino is out of work, your out of work, I'm working about 30 hours a week...other guys on the site are out of work.

We need a Cheers and Gears get together so we can escape reality for awhile, methinks!

Anything I can do to help? If so, please let me know!

Chris

Very sorry to hear your state of the union, Camino.

I have short-term work for you right outside of Princeton if you want it- finishing off a monster deck. Having driven it; commuting is out, but it you could swing staying closer, I could use the help.

Thanks Balthazar, wish I could take you up on that offer - it would feel great to do work like that for a while. Can't happen though due to the dogs and my duties here.

Wish it was closer.

I hope things work out for you Camino...they usually do. I send good thoughts and wishes your way.....

Trust me...I can understand where you are coming from...I just had to unload some favorite toys to help keep us afloat....stuff I was planning to give to my son. :(

Gotta keep going though....my family helps keep me sane.

Something good should happen, sooner or later.

It took seeing some pretty bad stuff here to make me realize to be thankful for the little stuff. Kinda some of the same stuff 66 is going though.

Keep your head up..we're here for you. :yes:

Edited by daves87rs

camino, i can surely see where you consider such things to keep afloat. myself i have been out of wk 10 months now and I am going to have to get terribly creative soon to make it through early next year. i hope you come out of it ok.

The number of people right now out of work or under employed is staggering.

Methinks the real unemployment rate is closer to twenty percent, given what I see,

Chris

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough spot right now; hopefully things pick up in the winter for you in terms of plowing, etc. Also, are you still toying with the idea of moving to New Hampshire?

Thanks, XP.

I am still considering NH, but it will take some time before I'm ready for that. As for plowing,it is going to be a dicey thing to get the Silverado sold and buy an old plow beast fast enough. I'm done with commercial plowing anyway - but I still have to keep this place clear of snow and take care of family driveways.

Not going to be easy...

Thanks, XP.

I am still considering NH, but it will take some time before I'm ready for that. As for plowing,it is going to be a dicey thing to get the Silverado sold and buy an old plow beast fast enough. I'm done with commercial plowing anyway - but I still have to keep this place clear of snow and take care of family driveways.

Not going to be easy...

Why would you sell your Silverado? That truck is a very valuable tool for anything you'd be looking to accomplish. Why not sell everything BUT that truck? I'm sure that having the payment sucks, but selling the other stuff would net enough cash to be able to refinance it down to next to nothing (assuming the payment is the reason you want to sell it)

It's a case of what happens first.

I need that payment gone - one way or the other.

Any turn of events that gets the mission accomplished will do.

Things are just that dire.

Maybe I'll end up keeping the Silverado - it would make things easier if it works out that way. But time is very short, I'll do what I have to.

Wish I'd have known, Camino.

Co worker just sold a near perfect 97 Z71 for 5 grand...and it was black, too...and manual shift...and an extended cab...and had a nice aftermarket stereo with an Amp.

Good luck!

Chris

Wish I'd have known, Camino.

Co worker just sold a near perfect 97 Z71 for 5 grand...and it was black, too...and manual shift...and an extended cab...and had a nice aftermarket stereo with an Amp.

Good luck!

Chris

I love that gen of truck...with a nice V8.....I would really consider getting one for a the family for trips and such.....

I haven't been paying the best attention to what you have and haven't done to the Blazer. I know you put a new rear end in it and did some other mechanical and cosmetic work. But I remember you saying the tailgate had more or less rotted off at the hinges; did you get around to doing anything about that yet?

The response to the Blazer listing has been overwhelming.

In less than 24hrs:

- I've had about 8 calls

- One guy has already seen it and wants to come back this weekend to drive it.

- While I was showing it to him, I got another call from a guy that wants to see it later today.

- I've been offered the trade of a dirt bike and an '89 Mustang GT (refused both).

- Lots of "I've always liked the 2-doors" comments.

Interesting, no?

Here's a weird one: One guy couldn't buy it because his insurance co. wouldn't cover anything with over 150k miles!

That's just stupid.

Sounds about like how things were after I placed my Monte Carlo on Craigslist. Tons of e-mails, tons of phone calls, I had two different people making trips from three counties away on the same day to look at it the day I traded it ...

When you've got something hot, it'll sell.

It took more of a push to sell the Rocket 350. I was relisting it just about every other day. One listing was all it took to sell the Monte.

Wish my current space situation allowed for one more vehicle; I'd buy it in a second. My girl wants a 4WD something, wants to learn to drive stick, and loves the two-door Blazers/Tahoes of this era. I'd even offer you a couple extra bucks for gas if you'd drive it up to NH for me; that way you'd have a reason to come up and check it out.

If for some strange reason you still have this thing in two or three months and my living situation has changed (which it very well may), I would definitely take you up on this.

Wish my current space situation allowed for one more vehicle; I'd buy it in a second. My girl wants a 4WD something, wants to learn to drive stick, and loves the two-door Blazers/Tahoes of this era. I'd even offer you a couple extra bucks for gas if you'd drive it up to NH for me; that way you'd have a reason to come up and check it out.

If for some strange reason you still have this thing in two or three months and my living situation has changed (which it very well may), I would definitely take you up on this.

That would be freakin perfect!

But I'm in a bit of a rush, so it isn't likely.

I could store it for a few months for someone, but I need the cash yesterday.