We all have to come to terms with these facts:

1. How many Jeep sales do you really think are based on "Trail Rated"? 30%? A little more? How many Jeeps sold in 2005 will travel the Rubicon? Actaully go off-road? My sister-in-law has a Liberty. Why did she buy it? It was cheap and cute. It has never been off-road and doubt she knows what Trail Rated is. That is buyer the Compass/Patriot is targeting. It's cute and usefull and probably priced well.

2. You can't stop the FWD-ification of Jeep. By this time next year, there will be not one, but two unibody FWD car-based Jeeps. Live with it.

3. This is a very smart financial vehicle (see point 1). This will grow Jeep sales without canibalizing sales of other DCX vehicles. There will probably a slight drop in Liberty sales, but I see this thing (including that thing it calls a front bumper) aimed at the female/light driver (like my sister-in-law) that will trade off-road prowess for better fuel economy (her Liberty is a gas pig).

If GM was smart, they would get a Wrangler-fighter for HUMMER in the next year or so, but we know the company isn't that quick to react to some possible Jeep refugees. As long as Jeep keeps the Wrangler true-to-form (which the 2007 seems to do) then Jeep shouldn't fear unibody too much from the sales/financial arena.

Sure doens't do it for me. Seems to be a lot of disproportionate shapes on the thing. I deffinatly don't care for it. Jeep new styling has seemed to go downhill lately. The new Grand Cherokee's went a bit boxier, the new commander has no style at all. I think my old '96 Grand Cherokee had more appealing style.

WOW... That is ugly..... The concept was at least bearable.....

Jesus man.....

:puke:

One cool thing I like though is the side trim... How it is made into the side of the vehicle.

I see A LOT of Highlander in the rear.... What makes the design SOOOOO bad IMO is the HUGE "bottom lip" front bumper and horrible a-symetric turn signals.

Definately, whoever screwed up the front end design should be fired. It destroys the flow of the vehicle and makes it look like it has hampster cheeks stuffed with bedding. The interior is just plain nasty (saw it on Autoblog). DCX's star is quickly falling.

I think Compass is a winner through and through.

I like the style....the profile....the Jeep front-end.....the "hidden" rear door handles....the wheels and tires....

Definitely cute, but with a sense of ruggedness mixed with sporty style. There's really nothing else on the market like it...

We all have to come to terms with these facts:

1.  How many Jeep sales do you really think are based on "Trail Rated"? 30%?  A little more?  How many Jeeps sold in 2005 will travel the Rubicon?  Actaully go off-road? My sister-in-law has a Liberty.  Why did she buy it?  It was cheap and cute.  It has never been off-road and doubt she knows what Trail Rated is.  That is buyer the Compass/Patriot is targeting.  It's cute and usefull and probably priced well.

2.  You can't stop the FWD-ification of Jeep.  By this time next year, there will be not one, but two unibody FWD car-based Jeeps.  Live with it.

3.  This is a very smart financial vehicle (see point 1).  This will grow Jeep sales without canibalizing sales of other DCX vehicles.  There will probably a slight drop in Liberty sales, but I see this thing (including that thing it calls a front bumper) aimed at the female/light driver (like my sister-in-law) that will trade off-road prowess for better fuel economy (her Liberty is a gas pig).

If GM was smart, they would get a Wrangler-fighter for HUMMER in the next year or so, but we know the company isn't that quick to react to some possible Jeep refugees.  As long as Jeep keeps the Wrangler true-to-form (which the 2007 seems to do) then Jeep shouldn't fear unibody too much from the sales/financial arena.

I'm not against a Jeep crossover.. but the Compass. OMFG is it ever ugly. Worse than Aztek? No, but damn close, IMO. That front end is absolutely horrible. Worst part of it. It doesn't flow with the body at all. I agree with Bimmer there... Uglier than Aztek. It's like someone tried to chop a Liberty's grill and hood onto a random assortment of Nissan parts. Not a good mix... Ugh. :puke:

What are those who like it smoking!?!?!? :blink:

Just awful. All stereotypical 'tough guy' touches with no unifying theme at all.

But then, the Jeep designers haven't been all that sharp lately--just look at the new Wagoneer: it's a major step backward in that vehicle's development. All chunky and ungainly in all the wrong places.

At least the new Wrangler looks good.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, then. I can see Jeep is selling out, sadly. Someone tell DCX that they can't make Jeep envy mainstream automakers and Hummer and still be true to its heritage all at the same time. It makes for bad Jeeps.

I guess if someone wants an SUV line with chest hair, they'll go Hummer.