Rumormill: Bob Lutz drops more Buick Regal GS, high performance wagon hints

Oracle of Delphi

While we were talking about the Escalade EXT launch with Susan Docherty (don't ask) during the Regal reveal at the Hollywood Palladium last week, Car & Driver's Steve Siler was pushing Maximum Bob about sportier versions of the newest Buick. Now, we heard mumblings about a new Buick Regal GS last month, but that was just dealer hearsay. Siler's report is straight from Lutz's mouth, and while he's not exactly the most reliable GM exec we've ever talked with, he does seem to have his finger on the General's performance pulse.

To summarize a bit, a 335-hp, all-wheel-drive manny-tranny version of the Regal might be coming, labeled with the legendary GS badge. There might even be a wagon version of the top of the line Regal – maybe even one with GM's eLSD torque vectoring. In fact, Lutz made it sound like GM might just import the 325-hp turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 Opel Insignia OPC Sports Tourer, crank up the boost a smidge and slap a Regal GS badge on it – which is more than totally fine with us. In fact, Siler suggests that what GM ought to do is make the tip top Regal wagon-only – sort of like the MazdaSpeed3 or WRX STI. Maybe call it the Buick Regal GSX? But like most such things involving GM these days, we'll believe it when we see it.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/15/rumormill-bob-lutz-drops-more-buick-regal-gs-high-performance/

I'll say this. The Regal seems to have changed my vehicle strategy from purchasing a 2007 or newer Avalanche to purchasing an older beater SUV to do apartment work with and saving my sheckels for a new Regal. A Regal coupe would cement this strategy change.

I do believe it was about 1-1.5 yrs ago that I predicted the wagon's return to some level of popularity. Though, I'm still waiting on seeing it for the reason I predicted - as a people hauler. Still no 3-row wagons, just short 3-row suv's and 3-row micro minivans. Some would call those wagons, not sure if I'm ready to. Waiting to see something like the Caprice wagon of the early '90's.

GM better figure out a direction for Cadillac...

Because, as of now, I can't really find any reason to buy a Cadillac over a Buick (unless for styling or the obvious V series)

Not good.

How about a Zeta based flagship Cadillac paying homage to the Cadillac 16, and Cadillac always being based on RWD vehicles? Let Buick have the EP IIs, Cadillac needs to be so much more than that.

GM better figure out a direction for Cadillac...

Because, as of now, I can't really find any reason to buy a Cadillac over a Buick (unless for styling or the obvious V series)

Not good.

RWD cars and V8 options as well as technology or other options we can not get in a Buick will be their play.

As of now we are just now getting a glimps of Buicks plans and we have yet to see much of Cadillacs other than the Plan or the Alpha and a larger sedan we only have some light details on.

Just a few months back many here were asking why save Buick to some now changing plans on maybe buying a Buick. It is amazing what happens when you start to see what you don't know.

GM is a lot more fun now that they do not tell us more than 6 months out what they are going to do vs showing us cars 5 years in advance and making us wait. It makes thing seem more progressive at GM.

... In fact, Lutz made it sound like GM might just import the 325-hp turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 Opel Insignia OPC Sports Tourer, crank up the boost a smidge and slap a Regal GS badge on it – which is more than totally fine with us. ...

Will Fritz go for it? Was his declaration on not being a fan of 'the rebadge' just for the G8 or was it policy?

Quite frankly, if it came from Lutz, it's almost like a pipe-dream where the opposite would occur. Hell, who knows if there will even be an Opel to import in the near future anyway.

A few Real variants could add a little sex appeal back to Buick. I'd love to see a Regal GS Coupe/ hard top convertable. I also noticed while checking out he Opel website that in Europe the Insignia has a 5 door variant ( 4 door hatch: think late 80's Lebaron) that might sell very well here as people more away from SUV's and back towards smaller cars.

A well-proportioned, elegant, sporty FWD coupe is completely missing from the US market. The Altima is goofy, the Accord, weird. A productionized version of the Insignia coupe, sold here as a Regal, would fill a great void.

yikes, it would be like that 9-3 turbo x i could never get, but wayyyyyyy nicer.

And it will sell like the 9-3 Aero X. If Buick was supposed to be like a cheap version of Lexus, why is their volume model going after the Impreza WRX and Mazda 6? That is not being Lexus-like. Although I always said Buick was nothing like Lexus, aside from the fact that both brands appeal to people that are over 60.

A well-proportioned, elegant, sporty FWD coupe is completely missing from the US market. The Altima is goofy, the Accord, weird. A productionized version of the Insignia coupe, sold here as a Regal, would fill a great void.

The Accord coupe in recent years I thought looked fairly good, better than the sedan or other Hondas at least. Not that I'd ever buy one. FWD coupes are lacking, but they weren't selling. The Sebring Coupe, Monte Carlo, and Solara all got canceled due to poor sales. Of course those 3 were dated/lackluster cars too, but there just isn't a lot of demand for FWD midsize coupes.

The Accord coupe in recent years I thought looked fairly good, better than the sedan or other Hondas at least. Not that I'd ever buy one. FWD coupes are lacking, but they weren't selling. The Sebring Coupe, Monte Carlo, and Solara all got canceled due to poor sales. Of course those 3 were dated/lackluster cars too, but there just isn't a lot of demand for FWD midsize coupes.

The only FWD mid-size coupe that deserves more than one look is the Accord. The poor sales aren't the cause, they are the effect.

I'll say this. The Regal seems to have changed my vehicle strategy from purchasing a 2007 or newer Avalanche to purchasing an older beater SUV to do apartment work with and saving my sheckels for a new Regal. A Regal coupe would cement this strategy change.

That's for sure! The only vehicle I would even consider in the next year was the new Grand Cherokee, but the Regal has got me thinking I might keep my 03 Grand Cherokee and lease a new Regal in about a year assuming that's possible. A GS, coupe, or GS coupe would solidify that decision for me...a GS wagon might have me thinking about trading in the Jeep and buying the Buick...I guess we'll see...

And it will sell like the 9-3 Aero X. If Buick was supposed to be like a cheap version of Lexus, why is their volume model going after the Impreza WRX and Mazda 6? That is not being Lexus-like. Although I always said Buick was nothing like Lexus, aside from the fact that both brands appeal to people that are over 60.

saab price points were way too high. because saab = inefficient.

said GS would be imported from germany, oshawa would build most regals to keep production simple.

Finally GM is bringing the good cars to the US market before they are old and out dated like the Catera and GTO.

This should play well with the 28-50 year olds and lower Buick market age. This is the kind of car the market is wanting and buying. If they can't get it from GM they will go to Acura or Lexus.

+1 and then some.

I'm glad someone else thinks the Altima is goofy...and the Accord...well..I won't hold it against oldsmoboi for liking them but I find them ugly as home made sin.

Insignia Coupe...would be good!

Chris

Finally GM is bringing the good cars to the US market before they are old and out dated like the Catera and GTO.

This should play well with the 28-50 year olds and lower Buick market age. This is the kind of car the market is wanting and buying. If they can't get it from GM they will go to Acura or Lexus.

This is a prime time for GM to do this because the current Acura lineup is weak from a visual standpoint. Even my non car friends find them ugly.

Chris

How about a Zeta based flagship Cadillac paying homage to the Cadillac 16, and Cadillac always being based on RWD vehicles? Let Buick have the EP IIs, Cadillac needs to be so much more than that.

Would be nice...

But last I read, eventhough Zeta has fans inside GM, XTS is still SuperEps.

Any surprise about that Cadillac concept at Detroit 2010 that you would like to share? :)

Would be nice...

But last I read, eventhough Zeta has fans inside GM, XTS is still SuperEps.

Any surprise about that Cadillac concept at Detroit 2010 that you would like to share? :)

I SuperEps even still on? It's gone from Chi a few years ago, to SuperEp, to now the Impala will be on EpII LWB. I'm beginning to wonder if they really haven anything bigger than the LaCrosse that can go on Epsilon.