Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Senator John McCain doesn't believe Chrysler will make it

42 posts in this topic

Filed under: Government/Legal, Chrysler, Earnings/Financials

93072904_opt.jpg

It looks like everyone is thinking about Chrysler these days. First it was former DaimlerChrysler CEO (and current Daimler CEO) Dieter Zetsche offering advice to Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne. Now it looks like former presidential contender and current Arizona Senator John McCain not only thinks that bailing out the ailing automaker was a bad idea (even though he supported bailing out Detroit during his 2008 presidential campaign), he thinks that Chrysler has no future. Here's a quote that comes via The Detroit News:
"It was all about the unions. The unions didn't want to have their very generous contracts renegotiated so we put $80 billion into both General Motors and Chrysler, and anybody believes that Chrysler is going to survive, I'd like to meet them."

While McCain's never been one for pulling punches, this may be one head butt over the top. Chrysler declined to comment on McCain's statements. Ironically, McCain made his comments while serving as grand marshal of a NASCAR event at the Phoenix International Raceway as Dodge announced its new Nationwide Series Challenger racer.

[source: Detroit News | Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty]

REPORT: Senator John McCain doesn't believe Chrysler will make it originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=bKd3Ca9VyJU:iP3h_yDuZ_E:wF9xT autoblog?i=bKd3Ca9VyJU:iP3h_yDuZ_E:V_sGL
bKd3Ca9VyJU

View the full article

he's right to some degree. should've prioritized. fund the GM recovery. I don't think that it made sense to fund Chrysler and GM.

he is also got a point on the unions. if GM and Chrysler would have died on the vine, the union would have been massively bloodied.

I'd much rather have had the efforts prioritized to keep a full GM healthy and happy, and not pump useless dough just to have another useless manufacturer gain foot in this market, i.e. fix it again tony. i'd rather have pontiac than spaghetti chryslers.

globally, the markets won't support that many US manufacturers so its better to strengthen our best two, GM and Ford. In just about every market segment, Chrysler was inferior to GM and Ford for at least 5 years now. The LX cars and some truck sales were the only thing keeping Chrysler from death. And with Zetas and pickups GM already has better product, and more of a global presence.

i believe in the notion of Chrysler staying if you think they can take share back from the Japanese, but that has never and won't ever be the case when you also have all the new Koreans and an aggressive VW as well.

Edited by regfootball

He is not looking very good in that photo. Still, I think he is right about this, but for the wrong reasons.

Stopped caring what the man said November 4th 2008.

I've never cared for what he had to say or paid attention to him...2 strikes against him, IMO:

1) a Republican

2) Arizona

Yes, but Sarah Palin has a new book out.

I'm much more interested in Levi Johnson's upcoming publication.....

I'm much more interested in Levi Johnson's upcoming publication.....

I'm interested in Going Rouge, the parody of Palin's Going Rogue.

Yes, but Sarah Palin has a new book out.

Yes I'm sure its wonderful, with lots of pop-up pages and coloring areas so she and her "fans" can understand it.

I'm guessing you aren't aware of Levi's upcoming publication. :smilewide:

Yeah, I read he's writing a tell-all book.

Yeah, I read he's writing a tell-all book.

More of a bare-all than tell all.

Oh nice! Now she can finally say what she wants to without those pesky 'gotcha questions!' :rolleyes:

Speaking of Sarah, I saw an article where liguistics experts were analysing her accent...many people have said she has a pseudo-Minnesota/Upper MW accent, yet was born in Idaho and has lived in Wasilla, AK most of her life. Apparenlty, Wasilla had a lot of Minn. farmers move there early in the 20th century, bringing their accent. Fascinating.

Just realized that since Palin quit her job (before her first term was up) she's no longer a politician, so we can bash her in the lounge!

Just realized that since Palin quit her job (before her first term was up) she's no longer a politician, so we can bash her in the lounge!

You think the book tour isn't the start of her campaign?

You think the book tour isn't the start of her campaign?

I recognize that it is, but she's the new Alan Keyes, not a legitimate politician who is in danger of being elected to an important post anytime soon.

I recognize that it is, but she's the new Alan Keyes, not a legitimate politician who is in danger of being elected to an important post anytime soon.

Too bad Ross Perot isn't in politics anymore. I'd love to see her, Ralph Nader and Perot in a debate...would be quite entertaining, I think.

I have this horrible feeling that come 2011/2012, you'll be eating those words.

Sarah Palin could be the new Harold Stassen but with some entertainment value.

I have this horrible feeling that come 2011/2012, you'll be eating those words.

Americans are stupid, but not that stupid.