Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Not Done Yet: Lutz says 'perhaps' to twin-turbo Camaro

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Rumormill

10-leno-camaro-sema-630op.jpg
Jay Leno's Twin Turbocharged 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 - Click above for high-res image gallery

Apparently, if you put Bob Lutz in a room filled with journalists asking pointed questions about specific vehicles, you won't get the industry-standard "we don't comment on future product" line. Following Maximum Bob's recent revelations about the CTS-V Sport Wagon and Coupe, along with a hybrid Chevrolet Impala, Buick Regal GS and a Caprice SS, when InsideLine asked Lutz about a twin-turbo version of the Chevrolet Camaro he simply responded "perhaps."

In addition to confirming a production version of the limited edition Camaro Synergy shown at SEMA and murdered-out Camaro, Lutz hinted at the possibility of a production version of the boosted, 425-hp V6 Camaro GM created for Jay Leno for this month's SEMA show. While it's far from a confirmation - and we all know how these things go with Lutz - it could be an indication that Chevrolet may be looking to beat Ford to the punch by offering a turbo'd version of its pony car. The only question now is when we'll receive an email from GM's PR team issuing the prerequisite denials... or an announcement that Fritz Henderson will require Lutz to wear a ball-gag at all future media events.

[source: InsideLine]

Not Done Yet: Lutz says 'perhaps' to twin-turbo Camaro originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=_phdFqMrunw:75Ryx86CzEs:wF9xT autoblog?i=_phdFqMrunw:75Ryx86CzEs:V_sGL
_phdFqMrunw

View the full article

No shock here. You could see this idea coming a year ago.

Now the question is will we see this in the Zeta before the Alpha?

A Twin Turbo Camaro with the 3.6L would be bitchin'. I'd be all over that.

The twin turbo HF series has been in the works for a while hasn't it? I think originally was planned for the 2.8, but they share the same structure.

It could be fitting of the Z/28 name. Remember, the original Z/28 was more focused on top-notch handling than outright performance (that's what the SS version was all about).

I wouldn't count on this one...

I honestly have a hope on this one for the sole reason that GM is wanting to try something different and "economical." We may not see the 3.6, but 3.0 is prime for the TT setup given 2.8 may not see a lot of years ahead.

Last time I checked, perhaps means could be yes or no. The question is, why or why not do it? I can see why. Power with good economy. I can also see why not. The NA V6 and V8 are enough choice for consumers.

I would say GM is planting the seed here. They and Ford are both looking at Turbo V6 engines for the future Pony cars.

By the time we get a Alpha Camaro a V8 may not even fit in it.

At this point they are looking at ways to keep performance alive and they will have to find it in different ways.

I suspect we will see this kind of a set up in the future late in the Zeta cars life and it will be in the next gen Alpha based Camaro replacing the V8. The truck, Caddy and the Vette at some point will be the only V8 engines we have.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0