Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Candidates

Blake Noble

So, with my paycheck here and the Olds motor leaving at the end of the week, I'll have enough cash to buy either one of these two cars.

1986 Pontiac Firebird, 5.0L V8 with 113K miles (swapped from an '85 Camaro), runs and drives, needs some mild bodywork, paint, and a home:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/1465976167.html

1979 Pontiac Firebird "Redbird Edition", no motor or transmission, needs bodywork and paint, usable interior:

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

Now, if I buy the '79 Firebird, I'll be putting a 403 in it which I can pick up for $150 bucks. I could save that money easy, maybe keep the TH350-R I have, and put it on the road while I do the bodywork. Because Redbird cars are rare, I would probably just restore it back to stock. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I cloned it to a T/A.

As for the '86, I thought I would take some inspiration from this car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eO7rYC5xs

Edited by whiteknight

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

............................................________

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,

.........................,/...............................................”:,

.....................,?......................................................\,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:”........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../

...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\

................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

That Red bird would make a good parts car for in about ten years when you can afford a Trans AM and doing it right.

Assuming you didn't need sheet metal, glass, mechanical parts, interior parts, trim parts, or a vin tag that hadn't rusted into oblivion.

Seriously, if the Redbird was a 71 GTO I would use it as a parts car. And that ain't no 71 GTO!

Chris

That '86 Bird's posting has been deleted.

Hmmm ... it was live earlier and hasn't been reposted. Guess they sold it to someone else.

I'm gonna jump on the D-BagWagon here, and ask... 'y u do this?!' =[

The Buick should be ok and I'm recovering all of my losses from buying the 307 and hiring someone to help put it in the car.

When I decided to put another engine in the Buick, I had planned to use the money regained from the sale of the Rocket 350 and the trans for a T/A or Firebird project.

Anyway, just forget I said anything at all.

That Red bird would make a good parts car for in about ten years when you can afford a Trans AM and doing it right.

Assuming you didn't need sheet metal, glass, mechanical parts, interior parts, trim parts, or a vin tag that hadn't rusted into oblivion.

Seriously, if the Redbird was a 71 GTO I would use it as a parts car. And that ain't no 71 GTO!

Chris

The Redbird doesn't seem that bad. Then again, you can never tell that much from a photo.

Speaking of GTOs (and cars like them), I know where there's a '72 GT-37 for sale. It has a lot of surface rust, but it hasn't rusted through and half of the interior is salvageable. Regarding the engine and trans, I have no idea if they're still in the car.

Ouch...poor Solstice, 67 GTO, First gen Firebird...wow!

That 67 GTO IIRC someone drove off of a cliff in Greece, if it's the car I'm thinking of. Posted pics of it awhile back as a joke project for Camino.

The Solstice looks fixable, as does the G6 Satty posted. They could possibly be "real" cars again,

Methinks the redbird is a gonner.

Chris

Ouch...poor Solstice, 67 GTO, First gen Firebird...wow!

That 67 GTO IIRC someone drove off of a cliff in Greece, if it's the car I'm thinking of. Posted pics of it awhile back as a joke project for Camino.

The Solstice looks fixable, as does the G6 Satty posted. They could possibly be "real" cars again,

Methinks the redbird is a gonner.

Chris

The green '67 Firebird had been in really nice shape, until some moron drove a firetruck off a narrow road above this guy's driveway. The article was in the Denver Post a while back.

You guys are being too harsh...

$7 for some of that Motor majic from autozone ought to bring that 403 right back...$10 for some of that new finish car wax...$3 for one of those pine air fresh deals...a gallon of anti freeze...and she'll be ready for the show circuit.

Chris

And you guys for real need to quit this...I am laughing my butt off.

Seriously, the old 30's pontiac and half the other cars are better starting points than what Knight posted.

But I really do hope Knight gets his bird in due time...and I hope its a real bird...

Chris

I'm all for knight getting a bird, although I think he should finish up the Cutlass first, but he just needs to start with something that isn't such...junk.

+1. That red car is so worn out it would take 5x what it's worth probably to bring it to clean condition...

No hard feelings bro, but think of this thread as the decedent of our dearly departed EXCITEMENT!!!!!! thread. ;)

Good way to look at it. Pontiac has so much EXCITEMENT!! that you really can't contain it in one thread.

Picture002.jpg

INVESTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. Beat that. :neenerneener:

After all, that was just a few mere inches away from actually being mine.

And hey, here's a challenge: if you think you can find a better T/A or Firebird than I can for under $1,500 and less than 300 miles away from zip code 40403, link me to it.

Edited by whiteknight