Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM Customers Return 193 Cars and Trucks Under 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee

11 posts in this topic

GM Customers Return 193 Cars and Trucks Under 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6578533/auto-news/gm-customers-return-193-cars-and-trucks-under-60-day-satisfaction-guarantee/index.html#ixzz0XPbocBIz

WARREN, MICHIGAN - Mark Reuss, General Motors' new global vehicle engineering vice president, and his team are personally calling customers who have returned their new cars and trucks to find out why. GM's new chairman, Ed Whitacre, suggested the follow-up calls to customers who returned their vehicles under the 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee program, to Reuss at a dinner meeting.

Reuss said Thursday that "653 out of 222,000 vehicles sold (since the program began in September) opted for the coverage" instead of cash. Under the program, buyers can choose from a 60-day money back guarantee, in which they can return their new GM car or truck for any reason. The vast majority of customers chose incentives instead, the alternative option to the guarantee.

Of those 653 who chose the money-back guarantee, 53 vehicles have been returned and 140 more are in the process for being returned, Reuss said, "and we're calling all of them."

The success rate looks even better, Reuss suggested, when you consider that no more than 20 of those 193 customers returning vehicles plan to buy a non-GM competitor in the GM model's place.

Reuss, speaking at a reporters' roundtable discussion at GM's Vehicle Engineering Center, singled out four of the returns. The first, which marketing and communications chief Bob Lutz revealed earlier, was a Corvette customer who returned his manual gearbox-equipped car for an automatic. Another returned a Chevy Silverado, complaining about lack of interior space and about the truck's paint and finish. And another was "disappointed with the Malibu." Reuss said he plans to contact that customer directly.

The fourth example was of a Cadillac SRX buyer who didn't like the handling and performance, and exchanged the SRX for another SRX, this one with more equipment including a suspension package upgrade.

So the question for the day is, have you returned a GM car or truck under the program? Tell us your story below.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6578533/auto-news/gm-customers-return-193-cars-and-trucks-under-60-day-satisfaction-guarantee/index.html#ixzz0XPbocBIz

Wow... a ~33% return rate. Considering the hoops you have to jump through to return a car, that's pretty staggering to me. Granted, these could be be people who never intended to keep the cars, but I thought the hoops would be enough to keep those people at bay.

I wonder what the return rats for the Hyundai assurance are shaping up like?

I get a return rate of .086

222,000 cars sold since the program started. 193 Returned.

But only 653 opted for the coverage. The others accepted cash, and their cars were not returnable, so they should not be counted in the return rate.

But only 653 opted for the coverage. The others accepted cash, and their cars were not returnable, so they should not be counted in the return rate.

+1. Yeah only people who took the bait should be counted.

I want to see how many of those were free riders and how many actually bought another GM vehicle after being dissatisfied with the vehicle they returned.

All should be included. All had the option of taking the 60 day guarantee. 222,000 vehicles had the option of 60 day money back.

+1. Yeah only people who took the bait should be counted.

I want to see how many of those were free riders and how many actually bought another GM vehicle after being dissatisfied with the vehicle they returned.

Yep....what I was thinking...

I'm with JamesBond on this. Obviously the people who took the most extensive return policy were the ones who weren't 100% sure of their purchase in the first place. Also, it sounds like a lot of people who returned their cars traded up to higher trim levels, or a different option package. Does that really "count" as a return if they get the same thing, only with another option box checked?

The first guy was someone who "gave back" his manual Corvette for an automatic one...... not exactly a lost customer there.

A lot of customer dissatisfaction is not necessarily the vehicle's fault, but rather lack of communication between the salesperson and the purchaser: poor 'qualifying' in the 'biz parlance. This can happen because either the salesperson is lazy, new or in a rush for a sale. Sometimes older buyers can be too stuck on an idea (recommendation?) that gets into their head and it is difficult to talk them out of it.

It sounds to me that a many of the returned sales could be as a result of this. I frequently saw parents being pushed into vehicles that their kids wanted; upgrading to stiff suspension packages, going for spoilers and stuff that added no value to the vehicle itself.

I've often seen opinions gracing C&G that are based on half-baked ideas or outmoded facts and it's that sort of pre-conception or misconception that can be very difficult for a salesperson to cut through - assuming they would bother at all.

Case in point, once upon a time, a white haired old lady pulled up in a 3 or 4 year old Park Avenue. She insisted on looking at the (then) new '03 Impala LS. Now, knowing how the Park Avenue rode and handled, I wasn't overly convinced she would like the Impala, but I suggested, then urged, she take the Impala for a drive. No, no, she insisted, she wouldn't need to drive it if she decided she wanted one. Off she went, with ballpark figures in hand. I saw her again maybe a month later, still driving the same Buick. This time she sat in the Impala, but despite my dangling the keys in front of her, she again refused a test drive. Off again she went. About a week later, she called me up to moan and whine that she had bought a Park Avenue Ultra with the GT package - and she hated it! The salesperson over at the Buick dealer had foisted it upon her because it was a 'demo' and a good 'deal.' When I asked her if she had ever actually driven the car before buying it, she again sniffed that 'it was a Buick, why would I drive it first?' I felt like slamming the phone down on her. I let her moan and carry on, but I felt little sympathy for her.

A thorough test drive is a must before deciding what one should drive. GM's bold '60 day satisfaction guarantee' can be viewed as just that: a thorough test drive.

I wonder if she goes around to this day dissing Buick and GM because SHE made a bad buying decision. Had she driven the GT first, she would have realized that car only existed to shut the likes of Edmunds.com up (which gave it a relatively glowing commendation) and that it did not represent what 'purist' Buick buyers would want in a land yacht. Put the right buyer in the right seat and they will love the vehicle.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0