What Cruze variants would you like to see?

ocnblu

What Chevy Cruze variants would you like to see?

gallery_253_2_59059.jpg

The sedan. What a practical bodystyle... but exciting? No way. And with a smaller GM, it seems a no-brainer that they should be doing more with fewer nameplates. So far, all we've seen of the Chevrolet Cruze is a practical sedan. zzzzzz....

What worked in the past could work again: a selection of bodystyles and trim levels in the Cruze lineup is needed to cover the market and help the car generate big buzz. Coupe, hatchback, sedan, convertible and wagon variations were all available on its ancestor, the workhorse Cavalier, and that was when there were J-bodies at every division of GM.

It's what we need today... choices. And it should be easier for GM to justify multiple bodystyles for the Cruze, since there will only be two divisions (that I know of) selling the platform here in the USA.

So how about it, Chevy? What better way to blanket the small car market than with multiple bodystyles of your upcoming mass consumption compact?

A return to choice is what is needed, something for every budget and every buyer with every model. That's one way to keep convincing buyers to buy your product.

It's cliche, but take Apple for example. iPods not only come in different models (shuffle, nano, Classic, and Touch) but those different models have submodels with different gigs (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 120, etc.) so that each model can appeal to a different buyer with a different budget and different demands.

Telling the market what it should buy is, to put it simply, wrong.

Edited by whiteknight

While I tend toward the sporty side of the market (I envision a Cruze 2.0 turbo SS coupe/convertible with six speed manual), "green" variants should be part of the plan, as well, for people who believe the sky is falling. We've got to please everyone with this car... it's a Chevrolet tradition.

The first thing I want to see it the first model Cruze be the best in class before they start to clone it into other styles. If you can't get the 4 doors sedan to be the best they need to make it right before you go any farther.

Right now we may get some of what they have already in Europe. If it is not sold somewhere else it will not be here. A two door hatch that is stylish like the Astra with a good strong performance package like the Cobalt. They need to find a way to make a Hatch sell as the Cobalt trunk is a waste of time.

The SS label is going to stay and no better car to hold this would be a strong 300 HP Turbo coupe.

As in how many models? If GM does not offer it else where then we will not get it here in the Cruze. They will not just do a car for here only.

Edited by hyperv6

Coupe, wagon, and an SS version of all three would be sweet.

The first thing I want to see it the first model Cruze be the best in class before they start to clone it into other styles. If you can't get the 4 doors sedan to be the best they need to make it right before you go any farther.

This.

Well, the car has been on the market for quite a while elsewhere. Bodystyles should not have anything to do with reliability... reliability and quality should be intrinsic parts of the mechanical, body hardware and electrical systems, parts of the car shared among all the bodystyles.

Chevrolet Cruze SS

2.0 DI VVT Turbo

Honeywell-Garrett GT2259RS dual scroll turbo

Air-to-water aftercooler

86 mm (bore) x 86 mm (stroke)

10.2:1 compression

11.8 psi maximum boost

91 Octane

270 bhp @ 6300 rpm (est)

228 lb-ft @ 2200~6000 rpm (est)

Just a Cruze with an evolution of the current LNF engine with the objective of REDUCING but flattening maximum torque and reducing turbo lag. This is done by increasing compression, reducing boost pressures and using a small volume air-to-water aftercooler. Reducing maximum torque is actually good for a FWD car because it mitigates torque steer. In addition, the high-compression, lower boost setup is beneficial to cruise and part throttle fuel economy.

Well Dwight I thought the reviews have indicated good control of torque steer on the current car. I have only driven an HHR SS with automatic, though, not a Cobalt turbo with manual. The HHR had a hint of torque steer.

I agree with the bodystyle thing. Would love to own another GM car, need a small fuel efficient car, but 'blu is right, the basid sedan bodystyle is about as apealing as a tetnus shot.

Chris

Well, the car has been on the market for quite a while elsewhere. Bodystyles should not have anything to do with reliability... reliability and quality should be intrinsic parts of the mechanical, body hardware and electrical systems, parts of the car shared among all the bodystyles.

I mean more than reliability or quality. I mean to take a Sedan and hold it up to the best of any company and it come out as the best sedan in all areas. As of what I have read reviews are good but still not class leading.

If the car needs more to make it class leading in handling, comfort, ride, power etc than I would first like to see this addressed and then the other work to make it into other versions then take place. Just being good and better than a Cobalt is not enough.

A car like this as best in class would pave the way to regain the trust. Besides the sedan will be 2/3 of the sales anyway. Get that one right the rest will follow.

Pretty much every body style the 80s J cars had...

With some trim choices too...

Right now we may get some of what they have already in Europe. If it is not sold somewhere else it will not be here. A two door hatch that is stylish like the Astra with a good strong performance package like the Cobalt. They need to find a way to make a Hatch sell as the Cobalt trunk is a waste of time.

The SS label is going to stay and no better car to hold this would be a strong 300 HP Turbo coupe.

As in how many models? If GM does not offer it else where then we will not get it here in the Cruze. They will not just do a car for here only.

True...

Chevrolet Cruze SS

2.0 DI VVT Turbo

Honeywell-Garrett GT2259RS dual scroll turbo

Air-to-water aftercooler

86 mm (bore) x 86 mm (stroke)

10.2:1 compression

11.8 psi maximum boost

91 Octane

270 bhp @ 6300 rpm (est)

228 lb-ft @ 2200~6000 rpm (est)

Just a Cruze with an evolution of the current LNF engine with the objective of REDUCING but flattening maximum torque and reducing turbo lag. This is done by increasing compression, reducing boost pressures and using a small volume air-to-water aftercooler. Reducing maximum torque is actually good for a FWD car because it mitigates torque steer. In addition, the high-compression, lower boost setup is beneficial to cruise and part throttle fuel economy.

Do you know anything about this? I have had this info for a while but never could learn much about it.

lnydatast6.gif

I got this about a year and a half ago and a lot has happend since then. I have never heard anymore about this engine. I was hoping it would find its way into some of the other new cars that are coming. I do not expect it in the Cobalt or HHR SS since both die next year. As for the Kappa's we already know they will not get them for sure.

If I recall this info was posted here as well as another place where I found this.

Edited by hyperv6

Do you know anything about this? I have had this info for a while but never could learn much about it.

lnydatast6.gif

I got this about a year and a half ago and a lot has happend since then. I have never heard anymore about this engine. I was hoping it would find its way into some of the other new cars that are coming. I do not expect it in the Cobalt or HHR SS since both die next year. As for the Kappa's we already know they will not get them for sure.

If I recall this info was posted here as well as another place where I found this.

I was just looking this over and the torque looks a little lite at 275 lb-ft. The Ecotec witht he turbo upgrade is 315 lb-ft in fwd and the Solstice was seeing 340 lb-ft with the 5 speed.

I agree with the bodystyle thing. Would love to own another GM car, need a small fuel efficient car, but 'blu is right, the basid sedan bodystyle is about as apealing as a tetnus shot.

Chris

oddly enough, that problem would be cured by a 3 door or 5 door buick astra hatchback.

cruze while i like it, has all the AURA of a Kia Forte to me. No surprise. this must be how Koreans are doing cars these days. the styling of the cruze does not have 'it' that will allow it to dominate the sales charts.

At least the Regal will be there to help me mourn no astra hatch in the US. PCS still hasn't set up that nice steak dinner for me with Susan and MISTER Lutz yet.

by the way, turbo, also please. like loi said.

Edited by regfootball

Toyota/Scion and Honda have not abandoned the compact coupe. Kia just entered the market with a brand-new coupe, and there have been plenty of Cobalt coupes sold. There is simply no way they can abandon the coupe market.

Toyota/Scion and Honda have not abandoned the compact coupe. Kia just entered the market with a brand-new coupe, and there have been plenty of Cobalt coupes sold. There is simply no way they can abandon the coupe market.

Exactly.

I remember somewhere GM had mentioned that there will be a coupe version of Cruze for North America. The coupe take rate in retail is about 50% of Cobalt's sales. So if GM wants to retain the base, there will be a coupe.

Gotta have 4 doors too...

I am not a fan of the 4 door hatch but there seems to be a growing market for them. the Mazda 3 has shown that. With the car being sold else where it would permit it to be made here and not have to carry the burden of having to sell in large numbers.

In my idea of a perfect scenario (with Pontiac still around), GM's U.S. Delta II compact car offerings would look like this:

CHEVROLET:

* Cavalier: Rechristened Cruze sedan. The "Cavalier" name should have never been abandoned, IMHO. I would also add a wagon variant since this product would be the high profile affordable compact small family oriented offering from Chevrolet (I know the Orlando MPV is also coming, but there might be some people who prefer a regular car offering with more utility; a Cavalier wagon would fill this niche). Note to GM: Please remove the tacky black plastic C-pillar fakeout from the sedan before you introduce this car to the U.S. market; a simple chrome surround around the side windows would do nicely.

* Monza: Notchback coupe. The Monza would share no sheetmetal with the Cavalier. It would have a traditional "3-box" notchback configuration with a trunk. Since the car would have its own distinct design, it would carry a separate model name from the Cavalier sedan. The idea here is to attract younger buyers to a Chevrolet compact car who might not be attracted to the somewhat sedate styling of the Cavalier sedan.

PONTIAC:

* LeMans: Rebadged new gen Opel Astra 3-door and 5-door. The focus for the new LeMans would be a sporty demeanor and driving experience. Pontiac would be the only division to offer liftback Delta II based cars.

* Solstice: Rebadged new gen Opel Astra roadster. Auto Express claims that the next gen Astra TwinTop model would be a 2-seat roadster instead of the current TwinTop's 4-seat configuration. This would make a nice new Solstice for Pontiac.

BUICK:

* Centieme: Buick-ized new gen Opel Astra sedan. This sedan would focus on providing a luxurious driving experience. Just like the spyshots of this car suggest, this product would have unique front fascia, headlight, and taillight styling from the Astra hatchback models, which would properly differentiate it from Pontiac's offerings.

I only focused on car products. I didn't touch on Delta II based utility products (MPVs and/or CUVs).

Edited by cire

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they plan on doing a Coupe version? I have heard for now that the Cobalt coupe will still be produced alongside the Cruze for atleast a year after the Cruze launches. One idea id like to throw out there is to make a coupe/convertible simular to the Mitsubshi Eclipse. I mean why not even work with mitsubshi on the next gen eclipse and do a joint venture? to abandon the small coupe market would be a huge mistake. not everyone who wants a small car wants a sedan.

I remember somewhere GM had mentioned that there will be a coupe version of Cruze for North America. The coupe take rate in retail is about 50% of Cobalt's sales. So if GM wants to retain the base, there will be a coupe.

I have heard that there wont be a coupe version at first. plans call for the Cobalt coupe to be produced for atleast a year after the cruze sedan launches. So we probably wont see a Cruze 2 door until the 2012 model year.

I have heard that there wont be a coupe version at first. plans call for the Cobalt coupe to be produced for atleast a year after the cruze sedan launches. So we probably wont see a Cruze 2 door until the 2012 model year.

That is how it will work. This is why they will start a new line at Lordstown and leave the Cobalt alone till 2012. I suspect the Cobalt Sedan may go bye bye once the Cruze is out accept for fleet sales.

Well I wonder how the info on the Honda CR-Z will get GM to be a little more open about a future of a hatch?

I see the Honda as being prime for the market. It can be anything from a efficent econo car to a tuner car. The VW has already proven there is a market for cars like this.

GM just need different sheet metal and give it a very sporty look.

I myself would want to see, above all else, a coupe version.

And I would hope that its tail lamps wouldn't look as "typically" Korean as the sedan's tails do.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres what Iwanna see with the Cruze . A SS coupe , LNF/6-speed = buy in a second .

These are photoshops I did .

Started with this ugly modified Cruze .

5742850.jpg

And ended up here :)

monoblock_copy_896789.jpg

blackozblue.jpg

Well Dwight I thought the reviews have indicated good control of torque steer on the current car. I have only driven an HHR SS with automatic, though, not a Cobalt turbo with manual. The HHR had a hint of torque steer.

hhr and Balt SS didn't have much torque steer when I drove them. Nowhere near the TS my 89 SHO had! I can't disagree at all with having different body styles. As far as the hatch goes though, we're getting an Aveo hatch, and the best way to deliver the next segment hatch is the astra. Maybe cruze gets the wagon. For sure the cruze should be a coupe and sedan and maybe wagon. Then the Buick astra could be a sedan, and 3 and 5 door hatches.

Cruze SS is a need. More appropriate question is, FWD only or AWD?

Edited by regfootball