Cory's Brand Spankin' New Car.

Upon hearing the news of my employer going bankrupt, I decided to buy a car. Logical, eh?

Actually, I had been looking into it before I heard the news. After the fact, I simply wasn't going to let it ruin my fun. The car had been advertised on VWvortex forums since August, listed for $950. The seller purchased it sight-unseen to use for a project. He hasn't seen the car to this day. He asked a friend of his in the area to pick up the car for him and they were planning on doing a complete TDI swap with it. His friend thought the shell was too rough, however, and he put the car back on the market to regain his money. Three months later, and a drop in price to $750, I inquire about it. After a week, I, my brother, and my BF drove out to New Jersey to check it out with his paypal on paper ready to do a deal. After arriving and enjoying some IHOP, we check it out. It's as rough as they were saying. Most of it the blemishes (IE dents) were on panels that could be changed out, but there was some road rash on the right rear quarter panel. After some haggling, he accepted $500 and I drove it home.

I figure it'll make a good winter beater, or perhaps a good project. Honestly, I didn't have a reason to buy it. I did for the hell of it, mostly. :P

Here's the original seller's ad:

1994, 5speed stick shift, 2.0 ABA engine, 200,400 miles -$950

I have owned last 14 years as a second owner (I purchased at 8,000 miles in 1995.) and has been maintained with care.

All fluids have been changed regularly last 14 years.

It was my daily commute on my 50miles highway drive until May this year.

Good:

-Car drives well (engine runs strong.)

- The clutch was replaced at 170K

-No rust/very good paint condition/clean interior

-NJ DVM inspection was done 7/08 and good until 7/10.

-New Headgasket

- New Head gasket/head bolts

- New Vale stem seals

- New Valve keepers

- Intake/valves cleaned

- Fuel injector cleaned

Many replaced new parts while I cleaned the head during the last year.

- Battery

- All belts including timing belt

- Ignition coil

- Spark plugs

- Distributor/rotor

- Ignition wires

- Thermostat

- Two oil pressure sensors

- Water pump

- 4 tires (a year old)

- 5speed gear shifter bushings

- Front and Rear Muffler assembly

- Coolant flushed

Bad:

- Does have some cosmetic blemishes

- Rough idling

- Check Engine Light is on

- Oil pressure warning light beeps occasionally after an hour of driving

- A dent on the trunk door and driverside headlight area

- No A/C

Also the following items are included with purchase of this vehicle.

All these parts are working well but I purchased these as a preventive care early this year but didn't have time to replace.

- Radiator hose (New) $55 - From upper flange on radiator to flange on head, water pump and oil cooler.

- Starter (used)

- Windshield wiper motor (used)

-Fuel pump (New) $197

- Cabin Air Filter

And now for pictures.

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

005.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

012.jpg

Congrats on the project car BV. Keep us posted with updates.

(I expect a lot of hypocrites in here ... but that's beside the point ... for now.)

Thanks. I've already addressed a few minor issues. Fixed the windshield washers (no hoses), the door sensors (driver side was bad, thus, the interior would be on when the door was closed, and off when it was opened), and I supplied a missing interior piece with one from the Jetta's stockpile. Plan on swapping out alot more parts tomorrow and addressing the CEL. Looks like there are some vacuum hoses missing.

Thanks. I've already addressed a few minor issues. Fixed the windshield washers (no hoses), the door sensors (driver side was bad, thus, the interior would be on when the door was closed, and off when it was opened), and I supplied a missing interior piece with one from the Jetta's stockpile. Plan on swapping out alot more parts tomorrow and addressing the CEL. Looks like there are some vacuum hoses missing.

For some reason, I was thinking you sold the Jetta for parts or something. Still having it will most definitely help in bringing the Golf back up to speed.

It seems there's a piece of trim missing around the front of the car. Is the Jetta's still intact and usable?

It has Jetta headlights and grille in it. The Golf lights are more rounded and fit the holes. Same with the grille, the Golf grille has a lower piece that is full-width and a different mesh.

The VW bug has bitten Viper. I can think of worse things to spend money and time on. This could be a big collaboration labor of love project for Dallas and Cory. I expect more pics of the process.

Now he's made me want to go look at 2010 GTIs again... insanity must be catching.

We were tallking about the mismatched headlights yesterday. While I do like the Jetta ones, I think it would be harder to convert it to a Jetta front end, since it would need a hood and fenders as opposed to headlights and grill to put it back to Golf spec. Oh and the trim piece below the headlightss/grill.

Now he's made me want to go look at 2010 GTIs again... insanity must be catching.

I had to drop my 19 year old daughter off at CSCC to do research for an english paper...droped by Byers VW while she was working on her paper.

You and me...on the same wavelength.

Then I went across the street to the Buick dealer where they had a pristine GNX on display, and a very gently used Colorado Crew Cab 4WD on the salesroom floor.

You and me...on the same wavelength.

Chris

Funny thing that surprised me is that this car still has all four factory style wheel covers! Usually those plastic things fall off in the first 3 years and then owners put some cheap generic crappy wheels covers on there.

Funny thing that surprised me is that this car still has all four factory style wheel covers! Usually those plastic things fall off in the first 3 years and then owners put some cheap generic crappy wheels covers on there.

Good point! And that's so true...

Looking at this car brings back my "classic" VW memories of riding in my best friend's mom's green '95/96 Passat TDI stick, with 100k plus miles from her long commute, zooming up, down, and around the PA hills. Even the seat upholstery looks familiar.

Finding body parts in that color is a royal PITA. If anyone happens to see any Golfs/Jettas in that color while scouring a junkyard, let me know. I'll travel.

So far, I've bought a few interior pieces and have found a set of alloys with good snow tread mounted that I am also thinking about picking up. Haven't actually started on correcting the rough idle issue yet, or ran it since the drive over here for that matter. I have a busy week ahead of me.

When you get around to it (I'd imagine it is a low priority at the moment), some Forever Black on that trim will make it like new. That stuff works like a charm.

Who makes that stuff, and where can you buy it? I'd be interested in it for my '96 Caddy Fleetwood's faded charcoal trim, if you think it'd work.

What are you going to do about that quarter panel?

The front fender? Or the rear quarter panel? Front is getting a new slightly less dented fender and I'm leaving the rear quarter panel as it is.

Moved it into the garage.

003-4.jpg

A photoshop of a possible modification. In Germany, Hella manufactured many OEM-spec taillight upgrades. Clear, smoked, all-red/green/blue, and some combinations of those. Depending on how the Hella Green's look in person, I may go for it. I'm expecting them to be less of a match than what the photoshop shows. They look pretty green in some pictures I've found.

002-1.jpg

A photoshop of a possible modification. In Germany, Hella manufactured many OEM-spec taillight upgrades. Clear, smoked, all-red/green/blue, and some combinations of those. Depending on how the Hella Green's look in person, I may go for it. I'm expecting them to be less of a match than what the photoshop shows. They look pretty green in some pictures I've found.

But what about being legal? Interesting, regardless.

Those are pretty cool, thought not my style, but it's not my car. :P

I wish Intrepids had an aftermarket tail light. Not crummy altezzas, but I would kill for jewled versions of what I have now. Same colors and design, just jeweled like later 300M's.

Agreed. I remember the 300M days when those "new" clear red/jewel tail lights came out for 2001 & everyone wanted them...they looked so much better than the foggy/solid red.

As for the VW, still interesting...your car, your style, I'd like to see it regardless 8)

Actually I like the Intrepid just as it is. I think one can go overboard with modest appearance upgrades.

Still thinking it will look killer with a new paint job.

Chris

I've always prefer jeweled lights to the old style, non see through ones. It's more aesthetically pleasing and more modern.

Yes...but to me I think the Intrepid should reflect the era its from...so somehow I think the older style is more fitting.

How is the Mercury working as a winter beater?

Chris