2007 Dodge Caliber

BrewSwillis

I think I like this vehicle. From what I've seen, the pricing is going to be good as well. We got one heckuva deal on our '06 Caravan SXT but there's a small part of me that wishes we'd have waited to try out the Caliber before signing on the bottom line.

Interiors do not have to be swoopy, futeristic looking, and multi-colored to be good......that's only for Japanese cars. Some people like a simple and cleanly laid out interior.....including myself. If the materials are soft-touch like in most of the newer Chrysler vehicles, then I think this interior is really nice for an upper entry level vehicle.

I think I like this vehicle. From what I've seen, the pricing is going to be good as well.  We got one heckuva deal on our '06 Caravan SXT but there's a small part of me that wishes we'd have waited to try out the Caliber before signing on the bottom line.

your caravan will likely be cheaper than the Caliber, in real world pricing.

chrysler's interiors have been really bad lately and this continues the trend; it lacks any style or sense of nice. but overall, it will sell and its probably ok on a cheap car like this.

I'd rather see folks buy a Caliber instead of a stupid Hyundai Tucson.

Edited by regfootball

Um, the Vibe is 4 years old. Not exactly the ideal vehicle to benchmark. And the Vibe interior looks better anyway because it has some color variation, brightwork, and shapes other than squares.

How does being four years old make an interior obsolete? Did they come up with new space age materials since four years ago?

The Caliber actually has two different colors on the interior, along with aluminum (color?) brightwork on the center stack and instrument panel......as opposed to the one color of the Matrix/Vibe with brightwork.

Swoopy lines and blobs aren't better then squares if they don't match the exterior of the car. Chrysler's current design theme is angular, therefore the interior should match that theme.

"Looks much better" is a bit of a stretch. The pictures are clearer, perhaps, but I wouldn't say the vehicle itself looks any better.

I'm going to agree that the interior looks terrible. It looks as though it's made out of a stack of Duplo blocks! Some colour variation, too: Wow, we've got Grey on the bottom, and Dark Grey on the dash & door panel! With a strip of plastic covering the HVAC painted silver! Zzzzzzzzzzz...

To sum up my feelings, I submit the following tagline for this vehicle:

The New Dodge Caliber: Coming soon to a rental lot near you!

Edited by Petra

I believe the exterior and interior need to have some sanding down. Too many lumps, humps, and creases.

I'm not usually one for angular styling. I preferred the swoopy, sensuously shaped LH cars. It's a shame certain quality aspects (and the buying public) let them down.

Let's see... Without making excuses and looking at the reality of it (like some should try doing), the interior is absolutely horrible. Blocky, cheap, dull, and dated looking. The comparision with the Vibe just made me realize how much so. The Vibe's looks 10 times better, more expensive, and newer... yet it's 4 years older. Hmm... As for the exterior, I like the body and the sides of the greenhouse. The headlights and grill aren't bad either. The exaggerated fender flares, cheap black plastic rails, blocky rear, and typical DCX front bumer, however, all look just as horrible as the interior. Petra says it best: "The New Dodge Caliber: Coming soon to a rental lot near you!" Yup.

Though I think the outside is pretty cool (then again, what DCX product isn't, to some degree at least), the inside is just another showing of how I think Chrysler is getting a bit too lax when it comes to that factor.

The overall styling and shaping of it actually does blend well with the inside, but WOW does it ever look cheap...exactly like Hyundai/Kia from many years ago C-H-E-A-P.

Then again, even the latest Ram refresh and other Chrysler/Dodge vehicles as of late (the rear-drive LX'ers excluded, thank you :AH-HA_wink: ), seem to also be going down a similar dark road...

Actually, just had this discussion with my brother: I think, as usual, they got the exterior look and driving dynamics (assuming here...) spot on, but just sorta pulled a "ahh...they won't notice" with the interior materials. I still love 'em, but really wish they'd get this last act together before they become Nissan... :huh:

Edited by caddycruiser

a very lame attempt at replicating the Matrix/Vibe...

who cares? I liked the SRT4 but this is just fugly. oh well, goodf thing I'm a fan or medium sized RWD Mopars. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My comments on seeing it in person, the interior on this car was the nastiest interior I've seen in a modern production car.....truly awful materials and fit-and-finish. Even the Neon had nicer materials.

The actual look of the interior was okay and the gauge cluster was very nice...but I was appalled at the lack of quality.....and I'm talking it's way worse than Chrysler's trucks and the Grand Cherokee....which are pretty bad....

The exterior I really liked. It's a shame....if the interior was better executed, I'd vote this thing a true "hit" especially with the powertrains on offer and the pricing.

Edited by The O.C.

My comments on seeing it in person, the interior on this car was the nastiest interior I've seen in a modern production car.....truly awful materials and fit-and-finish.  Even the Neon had nicer materials.

The actual look of the interior was okay and the gauge cluster was very nice...but I was appalled at the lack of quality.....and I'm talking it's way worse than Chrysler's trucks and the Grand Cherokee....which are pretty bad....

The exterior I really liked.  It's a shame....if the interior was better executed, I'd vote this thing a true "hit" especially with the powertrains on offer and the pricing.

it looks worse inside than my wife's omni.......from like 15 years ago

Guest YellowJacket894

It's not too bad. It's more of a crossover than anything, in total honesty.

I can bet Dodge dealers are going to demand a sedan to sell alongside this, just like they did with the Magnum. (There is no planned sedan, is there?)

If there is a sedan, I actually hope they keep the muscular fenders - those I actually like. Everything about the exterior though is just, well, not that great. If Dodge wants to pawn this off as a entry-level car, good luck. It looks like a crossover SUV and a crossover it shall be.

Let's see... Without making excuses and looking at the reality of it (like some should try doing), the interior is absolutely horrible. Blocky, cheap, dull, and dated looking. The comparision with the Vibe just made me realize how much so. The Vibe's looks 10 times better, more expensive, and newer... yet it's 4 years older...

:withstupid:

Edited by YellowJacket894

The New Dodge Caliber: Coming soon to a rental lot near you!

Basically.

This thing already looks dated. Remember, the Caliber pictured above is the top-of-the line, fully-loaded model. Imagine how cheap and dull the base model will look. These blocky, cumbersome designs are completely repulsive in my eyes. Not everything has to be sleek and curvaceous, but DCX is trying too hard to be different just for the sake of being different.

That interior, on the other hand, takes austerity to a whole new level. Blocky, uninteresting design aside, it's an absolute sea of plastic. I'd go crazy in there.

Guest YellowJacket894

You know something, if Car & Driver doesn't bitch about how the design themes of the interior in the Caliber and Magnum are the same and dated like they did with the Vibe and G6, I will be pissed - off - to - hell.

I saw it at the autoshow. It was alright.The Nitro was there. That did not excite me either. IMO, That styling does not look right when miniturized, it belong's on a bigger vehicle. But anyways, interior is okay, but I really the exterior could really use some work.

Anyways, what would this thing compete against? Pontiac Vibe? Toyota Matrix? Any other's that I'm missing? What about the Mazda3 Hatchback? Just curious.

Umm, chunky=fat=bloated+round and angular=chiseled=leaner.

Interior and exterior could use a sandblasting though.

It's more satisfying in person because it's smaller than it appears in photos.

But what's with Chrysler not offering a stick with the bigger engines or the diesel here in the U.S.? When will American automakers figure small cars out?