Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal prototype looks to be a good sport

4 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, Buick, GM, First Drive, Luxury

2011buickregalfd_01_opt.jpg
2011 Buick Regal - Click above for high-res image gallery

There's an odd bit of historical deja vu at work here. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, General Motors wanted to shift a few sporty-ish four-cylinder models from its Opel division into America, so they turned to their Buick dealers. This didn't work out exactly as planned - merchandising these odd European ducks in an outlet best known for sober doctor's cars meant that the GT, Manta and Kadett never managed to make much of a dent in North America's automotive landscape. This time out, with the Opel Insignia-derived 2011 Buick Regal, GM knows it needs massively better results.

This is a Buick the likes of which we have never seen before.
While attending an early drive event for the new Regal last week, we reminded vice-chairman Bob Lutz about the last time his company attempted to sell Opels in Buick showrooms. He laughed his trademark raspy laugh, and reminded us that Car and Driver so loathed the 1968 Kadett that their review featured it photographed in a junkyard. With characteristic candor, Lutz tells us, "It actually wasn't a very good car." Of course, Maximum Bob knows full well that GM can't afford another lost in space Kadett. Does the Regal have what it takes to mollify these "sins of the father" and put Buick on the right track? Click through to the jump to find out.

Photos copyright ©2009 Chris Paukert / Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal prototype looks to be a good sport

First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal prototype looks to be a good sport originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=9k1Hd1ExUsM:Qhx-N5Y_q7Y:wF9xT autoblog?i=9k1Hd1ExUsM:Qhx-N5Y_q7Y:V_sGL
9k1Hd1ExUsM

View the full article

I am glad to see they like it.

I do not agree with them on the Olds and Saturn recovery effect. They fail to mention that both brands had little to no marketing though they had improved cars.

Anyone ever see a Astra TV ad that focused by name on the Astra and it's features. All that was shown was "That's a Saturn?

I think the OPC there seals the deal as well as Lutz remarks a GS could be coming. The question will be how much? I expect it will get a few tweeks but it too will remin pretty much like the Euro model. It looks like GM has learned it takes more than Black walls, mono chorme and a rear sway bar to make a Euro sedan.

Watch for a Marketing blitz on this Regal. This will be the work horse of the Buick car line.

I think the OPC there seals the deal as well as Lutz remarks a GS could be coming. The question will be how much? I expect it will get a few tweeks but it too will remin pretty much like the Euro model. It looks like GM has learned it takes more than Black walls, mono chorme and a rear sway bar to make a Euro sedan.

Watch for a Marketing blitz on this Regal. This will be the work horse of the Buick car line.

:yes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room