Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Officially Official: BMW unveils all-new 5 Series sedan

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, BMW

p90053731_opt.jpg
2011 BMW 5-series - Click above for high-res image gallery

The 5 Series is an important model for BMW, particularly in North America where it's the brand's second best seller behind the 3 Series. Heading into 2010, BMW has expanded its mid-size line with the new Gran Turismo body style already on sale. However, the volume leader for the 5 Series is the four-door sedan, which officially debuts today. The 2011 model transitions to a new platform architecture shared with the latest 7 Series as well as the upcoming Rolls-Royce Ghost. The 5 Series sedan gets a four-inch shorter wheelbase than its siblings, but at 116.9 inches, it still stretches well past its competition. The new Mercedes-Benz E-Class runs a mere 113.1 inches between its axles and the Cadillac CTS is 113.4 inches.

From a technical perspective, the new 5 Series picks up much of what can be found in the 7 Series and the Gran Turismo. Read on after the jump to learn more about it.

[source: BMW]

Continue reading Officially Official: BMW unveils all-new 5 Series sedan

Officially Official: BMW unveils all-new 5 Series sedan originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:12:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ztdlByeyQUE:P2ySeXjx184:wF9xT autoblog?i=ztdlByeyQUE:P2ySeXjx184:V_sGL
ztdlByeyQUE

View the full article

Well this is certainly better than the current one. Quite handsome.

The interior, though, still looks so bland and uninviting.

New steering wheel = all new?

I know, I'm being sarcastic, but really?

I like it. It doesn't have the pig-nose look of the 5-Series GT.

7 Series up front, 3 Series out back, same generic BMW interior. It's not ugly anymore and I'm sure its a good car, but its so boring.

This is an impressive car. It looks a lot better than the current one, I like the center console angled toward the driver, and it has a crazy amount of engineering and technology in it. No one in the class has top view cameras, regenerative braking, self parking, rear steering, etc. Plus a standard 8 speed and turbo 6 and 8 cylinder engines. This car is better than the Jaguar, although I'd still take the Jag because of interior/exterior styling.

YAWN. looks like their gonna put bench seats in it.

dull exterior, grandpa interior. who gives a crap on how it drives. this thing has all the style of 10 years ago. what a geriatric mobile.

I am curious what it weighs since so many body panels are aluminum. The X5 M does 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and it is 5329 lbs. The M5 is going to have a better transmission and be at least 1,000 lbs lighter. Should be interesting to see how fast it is.

I am curious what it weighs since so many body panels are aluminum. The X5 M does 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and it is 5329 lbs. The M5 is going to have a better transmission and be at least 1,000 lbs lighter. Should be interesting to see how fast it is.

You know you possibly can get the answer on Bimmerfest rather than on Cheers and Gears.

This is an impressive car. It looks a lot better than the current one, I like the center console angled toward the driver, and it has a crazy amount of engineering and technology in it. No one in the class has top view cameras, regenerative braking, self parking, rear steering, etc. Plus a standard 8 speed and turbo 6 and 8 cylinder engines. This car is better than the Jaguar, although I'd still take the Jag because of interior/exterior styling.

It is technology added for the sake of saying it is technological. None of it adds much value to the car, it just makes it more expensive to buy, and much more expensive to own and operate. Not to mention it will contribute hugely to depreciation and cost of ownership in the long run when all that great technology fails and needs to be replaced...of course, what do I know...I only own one. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I like this car far better than the garbage e60. The interior is still ugly though (only Cadillac and Audi can seem to style interiors right these days), but you need to get over your infatuation with silly gimmicks, tried technology, and over-engineered garbage that, while perhaps serving some little function, fall more along the lines of marketing tactics that serve to attract people who know little about what negligible roles these so-called "technologies" serve. BMW marketing must be doing something right because you eat it up.