Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Pontiac reaches end of the line

36 posts in this topic

Pontiac reaches end of the line

David Phillips / Special  to The Detroit News

Orion Township -- The ride is over for the brand that put rolling excitement on the road for generations of Americans.

General Motors Co. built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market Wednesday: a white, G6 sedan that rolled off the assembly line in Orion Township around 12:45 p.m.

There was no cake or commemorative banner or senior GM official on hand, and no media were allowed: just a group of "final process" workers to oversee the last 100 G6 models assembled.

"We're focused on a quality build-out for the customer," said GM spokesman Kevin Nadrowski.

Many workers stopped to pose for photos with the last cars as they moved down the assembly line.

It was a subdued goodbye for an 82-year-old brand that debuted under the bright lights of the New York Auto Show in 1926.

GM announced in April that it would phase out Pontiac as part of a bailout orchestrated by the U.S. government.

Unlike the last Oldsmobile, an Alero signed by hundreds of plant workers and donated to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, the final G6 models will be sold as part of a fleet order.

For some Pontiac enthusiasts, it's an inglorious ending for a car line that popularized Silver Streak styling in the 1930s and defined the muscle car era.

The Orion Township plant will be idled and retooled to produce a new small car in 2011.

More at link:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091126/AUTO01/911260411/1031/Pontiac-reaches-end-of-the-line

Somewhere an Avis executive is in tears because he has to find a new, cheap "midsize" car to rent out for $15.99/day with unlimited miles.

Somewhere an Avis executive is in tears because he has to find a new, cheap "midsize" car to rent out for $15.99/day with unlimited miles.

Haha, yep. But at least Avis still has the Impala.

Haha, yep. But at least Avis still has the Impala.

Malibu. The Impala is classified as a full size by the rental companies.

For Satty, Cuticle and SMaK's infotainment, I see more Japanese and Korean junk in rental service these days than GM vehicles.

What are Hyundai's and Toyota's fleet numbers these days? What were they 5 years ago?

What are Hyundai's and Toyota's fleet numbers these days? What were they 5 years ago?

Still hunting down the numbers for that specifically, but of the 300 largest commercial fleets6 are 40%+ "other" all the other fleets are dominated by Chrysler, Ford or GM. Its unfortunate that they have percentages for each of the Big 3, then lump every other manufacturer into "other" but I'm working with what they're giving me. And of those 6, one is Best Buy, whose fleet consists of mainly Geek Squad New Beetles. Those numbers dont include rental companies, and its a PITA to find those numbers, but I'll continue searching.

MY 2008 breakdown by model and I really dont feel like going through and crunching the numbers for each brand, but I will throw these numbers out:

Camry 8.9% fleet

G6 44.8%

Mazda6 59.5%

Galant 45.3%

Sonata 40.2$

Impala 49.9%

Malibu 33.3%

Corolla 8.0%

2008 MY breakdown by brand:

BMW 2.1% fleet

Chevy 38.4%

Chrysler 47.8%

Dodge 50.4%

Hyundai 22.3%

Kia 25.3%

Lincoln 19.6%

Pontiac 36.1%

Toyota 11.2%

2007 MY breakdown by brand:

BMW 1.9% fleet

Chevy 44.6%

Chrysler 44.5%

Dodge 48.1%

Ford 34.7%

Hyundai 19.8%

Kia 26.6%

Lincoln 30.2%

Pontiac 43.5%

Toyota 9.3%

2004 MY breakdown by brand

BMW 1.7%

Chevy 43.3%

Chrysler 34.7%

Dodge 37.7%

Hyundai 15.3%

Kia 19.6%

Lincoln 29.9%

Pontiac 41.5%

Toyota 9.5%

2003 MY breakdown by brand

BMW 1.4%

Chevy 30.4%

Chrysler 34.4%

Dodge 54.5%

Hyundai 9.8%

Kia 9.3%

Lincoln 22.7%

Pontiac 27.9%

Toyota 11.3%

Edited by Satty

Percentages tell me nothing without total sales numbers..... Toyota as a whole sells a lot more vehicles than Pontiac as a brand.

Actually I kind of like the new Malibu getting fleeted so more people can see/drive it.

Think it will actually help GM.

Chris

Percentages tell me nothing without total sales numbers..... Toyota as a whole sells a lot more vehicles than Pontiac as a brand.

Click the links?

2003 Fleet sales:

Chevy 226,868

Pontiac 106,873

Toyota 93,625

Hyundai 27,385

2004:

Chevy 379,307

Pontiac 181,475

Toyota 74,048

Hyundai 46,134

2007:

Chevy 333,020

Pontiac 141,044

Toyota 106,439

Hyundai 57,006

2008:

Chevy 285,186

Toyota 126,450

Pontiac 102,572

Hyundai 71,786

Automotive-fleet doesn't have 2005, 2006 or 2009 numbers handy, or I'd throw those up here too. Pontiac hasn't been closer than 400,000 sales to Toyota in the links I've posted, yet Pontiac has out-fleeted Toyota every year but 2008, when Toyota had 800,000+ more registrations. So the idea that Toyota is massively fleeting cars is asinine, at least with the numbers we have to look at right now.

Actually it just proves that GM's fleet sales are high, not just Pontiacs. Chevy has had a higher percentage of fleet sales than Pontiac. So why are fleet sales only brought up when talking about Pontiac?

Actually it just proves that GM's fleet sales are high, not just Pontiacs. Chevy has had a higher percentage of fleet sales than Pontiac. So why are fleet sales only brought up when talking about Pontiac?

Glad you asked.

Don't forget that Chevrolet sells lots of trucks and SUVs to municipalities, businesses, Public Utilities, State DOTs, Police/Fire/Rescue and I'm sure many other things. I have put the numbers on here before of Chevy car fleet vs. Pontiac car fleet.

Because Chevy is the volume brand, with 15 models and umpteen-million different options, its only logical that they'll be GM's fleet leader, they can fill needs no other GM brand can, its not some sacred cow that (allegedly) occupies an enthusiast-pleasing niche.

And yes, all GM brands have large fleet numbers, I assume because of the outdated thought that volume is profit, so if they can unload 400,000 Cavaliers, they'll make money. Too bad they never took the $5,000 rebates into account.

Edited by Satty

Enterprise is mostly Cobalts and HHRs in this area. That is all I ever see along with some Chrysler products and an random Aveo.

Enterprise rents a lot of Toyotas over here in Columbus.

Chris

Why the hell are we talking about fleet sales in this thread?

Total disrespect for a storied brand.

The question:

Why the hell are we talking about fleet sales in this thread?

Total disrespect for a storied brand.

The answer:

Unlike the last Oldsmobile, an Alero signed by hundreds of plant workers and donated to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, the final G6 models will be sold as part of a fleet order.

The fate of the G6 is nothing in the face of the end of Pontiac as a whole.

1926-2009 is a run that deserves better from everyone and the G6 and recent fleet numbers are a miniscule aspect of that history. To focus on that narrow negative is entirely unjust.

When you attend a funeral do you focus on the fact that the departed was wearing adult diapers in his final days?

Pontiac wasn't a person (ok, he was, but thats another story) so comparing the end of Pontiac to a person's funeral is asinine. Pontiac was a badge, a brand name and brand names disappear all the time, and in doing so, they leave a hole to be filled, Pontiac's hole is Avis lots around the country.

Even you, our resident Pontiac hater, knows better than that!

Pontiac was GTOs and Firebirds, Fuelie '57 Bonnevilles and 8-lug Super Duties, Solstice and modern GTO competition Champions, NHRA pro-stock winners, land speed record holders, elegant personal luxury cruisers, early OHC six cylinders, 455 big-blocks, Barrett-Jackson collectibles, Factory lighweights, innovative assembly processes, perennial top 3 in sales for many,many, years, personal expression, active enthusiast clubs and events,website communities, and so on, and so on.

There is a hole to be sure, but it is in a far more important place than the fleet market.

You are focusing on the forgettable, corporate foolishness that masqueraded as Pontiac, not the heart and soul of a brand that is part of the fabric of American automotive history. In ten years, no one will remember what the fleet numbers were, nor will they remember the G3,5,6,Vibe,Torrent crap. But GTOs and Firebirds, and G8s and Solstices are forever.

I'm focusing on GM, as a business, in its most recent state. And in that most recent state, Pontiac was a fleet brand.

Today is November 29th, 2009, a vast majority of your list came from 30+ years ago.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0