The 2011 Cruze: Chevrolet Unveils U.S. Version Of The Popular, Fuel-Efficient Global Compact Sedan

The 2011 Cruze: Chevrolet Unveils U.S. Version Of The Popular, Fuel-Efficient Global Compact Sedan

gallery_253_2_156949.jpggallery_253_2_76039.jpggallery_253_2_59059.jpg

2011 Chevrolet Cruze at a Glance:

o Popular global car refined for America

o Expected segment-best fuel economy – up to 40 mpg highway – with new family of small-displacement engines, including Ecotec 1.4L I-4 turbo

o Progressive design with exceptional levels of refinement, quietness and build quality

o More spacious interior and greater cargo room than Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla

o Ten standard air bags help make it one of the safest cars in its class

o Built at Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant

o On sale in third quarter of 2010

o Five-year/100,000-mile powertain warranty – the best coverage in America

LOS ANGELES – Chevrolet unveils the U.S. production version of the 2011 Cruze compact sedan at the L.A. Auto Show on Dec. 2. It is a global car refined for America, delivering many segment-leading features and details that challenge preconceived notions about what a compact car can be in North America.

The Cruze also affirms Chevrolet’s commitment to building refined, fuel-efficient vehicles, with new, small-displacement four-cylinder engines. It is expected to deliver segment-leading fuel economy with a new Ecotec 1.4L I-4 turbo with variable valve timing – including up to 40 mpg on the highway with a high-efficiency model.

“Cruze is already a hit across Europe and Asia; and now, it’s coming to America to challenge the status quo,” said Brent Dewar, GM Vice President, Chevrolet Global brand. “Along with the Volt electric vehicle, Cruze is the latest tangible example of how Chevrolet is working on exciting products that range from gas-friendly to gas-free.”

Leveraging Chevrolet’s design and engineering talent in Asia, Europe and North America, the Cruze brings to market a progressive, globally influenced design complemented by exceptional levels of quietness, quality and attention to detail – from precise tolerances between body panels to the use of premium materials throughout the interior.

“The amenities, quietness and roominess you expect in larger cars are what the Cruze delivers,” said Margaret Brooks, Chevrolet product marketing manager. “This is a car that will shake up the compact segment, with a more spacious interior and more cargo room than the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.”

Cruze goes on sale in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2010 but has already logged more than 4 million miles in quality and durability testing worldwide, making it one of the most real world-tested GM products prior to a U.S. launch. The U.S. and Canadian versions of the Cruze will be built in Lordstown, Ohio, where $350 million was invested for their production.

More than expected

The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze will be offered in LS, LT and LTZ trims. Standard and available equipment includes:

* New family of efficient four-cylinder engines, including a 1.4L turbo and 1.8L

* Six-speed automatic and manual transmissions

* Ten standard air bags, including frontal, side-impact, roof rail head curtain, rear seat side air bags and new knee air bags

* Electronic stability control with rollover sensing

* Bluetooth, USB connectivity and navigation system

* XM Satellite Radio and OnStar

* MacPherson strut front suspension and Watts Z-link rear suspension, with a family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels

* Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes

* Fuel-saving, rack-mounted electric power steering

* Unexpected levels of quietness, smoothness and refinement for the segment

All models share an interior characterized by premium materials and a lengthy roster of unexpected equipment, including leading infotainment. A stereo system that includes MP3 playback capability, six speakers and an auxiliary jack for personal playback devices is standard. A premium Pioneer sound system is available, as is a USB port for iPod operation. Other available technologies include Bluetooth and a navigation system.

“There’s a lot of content in all Cruze models; it was designed to give customers the features they want regardless of the car’s size or segment,” said Brooks. “At a very competitive price, you’ll be able to get a Cruze with leather and heated front seats, 16-inch aluminum wheels, XM Satellite Radio, OnStar, Bluetooth, a USB port for your iPod, cruise control, power locks and power outside mirrors.”

Arching roofline

Chevy Cruze’s design is distinguished with a bold face – including a two-tier grille with the iconic Bowtie logo – that is Chevrolet’s signature look around the globe. An arching roofline connects a steeply raked windshield and fast-sloping rear pillars to give the car a sporty, coupe-like proportion.

The sporty aesthetic is also seen in prominent headlamp housings that wrap around the corners and sweep upward in the fenders and sculpted hood, as well as a short rear deck typically found on sports coupes. The wheels are at the corners, too, with minimal front and rear overhangs. All the elements work cohesively to give Cruze an aggressive look that is complemented by a wide, confident stance.

Indeed, the Cruze is wider and longer than most of its competitors. Taut, tightly drawn bodywork conveys solidity, while restrained use of exterior trim enhances the car’s high-quality feel. The overall appearance is one of purposeful precision.

Precision is also seen in the Cruze’s build quality. The Lordstown assembly plant’s body shop was retooled with the latest in body-framing and welding equipment to optimize the manufacture of a very solid body structure. That strong structure fosters minimal production variance and repeatable gap tolerances of 3 mm or less between most exterior panels. To the customer, this means a better looking car when new and one that feels solid for years to come.

Interior refinement

Cruze’s bold design cues and attention to detail carry over to the interior, where a Corvette-inspired twin-cockpit motif is matched with high-quality materials and exceptional assembly tolerances. Grained, soft-touch components and low-gloss trim panels exude a quality that is uncommon in the segment.

The instrument panel is an excellent example of how Cruze eschews expectations of compact cars. It features richly detailed instruments that are backlit with light-emitting diode (LED) technology. The LED lights provide a crisp, ice-blue illumination of the analog instruments, as well as lighting for other interior controls. A segment-rare standard driver information center offers a wealth of data for the vehicle owner.

Blending harmoniously with the instrument panels is an integrated center stack that houses the infotainment display, climate controls and radio controls. Flush-mounted components within the center stack have a gap tolerance of less than 1 mm, while the instrument panel-to-door panel gaps are less than 5 mm. Those tolerances are among the best in the class and contribute significantly to the Cruze’s aura of refinement and precision.

Cruze’s headliner and pillar trim exude craftsmanship, too. The headliner cover is made of a knit material that also serves as one of five layers of an acoustically designed headliner to help make the passenger compartment quieter. The interior pillar and other moldings are color- and grain-matched to the headliner, while seat inserts are color-matched to the color of the instrument panel accent trim, giving the cabin the detailed appearance of larger, upscale sedans.

New, efficient powertrains

Enhanced with its exhaust-driven turbocharger, the Cruze’s Ecotec 1.4L turbo performs like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions. It is standard on LT and LTZ models, with power ratings estimated at 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm).

Standard on LS models is an Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder that has the same basic architecture as the 1.4L turbo. Both engines are part of GM’s family of global small-displacement engines designed with fuel efficiency in mind, including technology such as full variable valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel economy across the rpm band.

Backing the Cruze’s new four-cylinder engines are six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. Each contributes to Cruze’s excellent fuel economy and, with their carefully matched gears, enhances its fun-to-drive quotient.

With the Ecotec 1.4L turbo, Cruze’s fuel efficiency enables a cruising range of more than 500 miles (800 km), meaning it can go longer between fill-ups.

Cruze is backed by GM’s five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty – the best coverage in America.

Responsive, quiet driving experience

Complementing Cruze’s new powertrains is a strong body structure and chassis system designed to deliver a responsive and fun driving experience. The body structure is tight and stiff; and its solidity enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control.

A MacPherson strut suspension is used up front, while a technically advanced Watts Z-link design is used with the rear suspension. It helps center the rear axle during cornering, helping to keep the Cruze’s handling responses symmetrical on both left-hand and right-hand turns. The linkage’s capability to center the axle during cornering delivers a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension.

StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation, as well as traction control and anti-lock brakes are standard. Electric power steering is also standard on all models. It helps save fuel because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories. Sixteen-inch wheels are standard on LS and LT models, with 17-inch alloy wheels standard on LTZ. Eighteen-inch alloy wheels are available on 2LT and LTZ models.

Along with a responsive driving experience, the Cruze delivers quietness and refinement on the road. Hydraulic ride bushings and an isolated engine cradle reduce or eliminate vibration pathways that could be transmitted to the passenger compartment. Similarly, a number of noise-reducing and noise-cancelling technologies are employed throughout the body structure, including 18 distinctive acoustical treatments. Examples include:

* The steel front-of-dash panel is sandwiched between two damping mats

* Nylon baffles are used in various hollow portions of the body structure and filled with sound-absorbing foam that expands when the body enters the paint oven

* The headliner comprises five layers of thermal fiber acoustic material, including a premium woven fabric on the visible outer layer

* Patches of sound-damping material are applied strategically throughout the body structure and melt into place when the body passes through the paint oven, allowing the patches to follow the contours of the sheet metal below

* Sound insulation material between rear-body structural components that is made from recycled blue jean material

* The doors have triple seals and feature fiberglass “blankets” that serve as water, airflow and noise barriers. The doors are also beta-braced, meaning they close with a solid, precise sound and no resonance.

First off, WOW! This is GM's best-looking compact since the Corvair, IMO. Now, PLEASE tell me that fog lamps are an available option!! Those plastic covers are tacky, marring an otherwise awesome design.

ETA: Eh, not sure how I feel about the rear window treatment. That quarter window is...interesting.

Edited by Croc

First off, WOW! This is GM's best-looking compact since the Corvair, IMO. Now, PLEASE tell me that fog lamps are an available option!! Those plastic covers are tacky, marring an otherwise awesome design.

ETA: Eh, not sure how I feel about the rear window treatment. That quarter window is...interesting.

Chevrolet_Cruze_1_Large.jpg

I almost hate to admit it but I actually like it. I checked one out last year at NAIAS. It seemed a lot bigger than it really is. The mileage is impressive but I would have liked to have seen 150 hp (or at the very least more torque) out of the little turbo 1.4L. I'm sure they could have easily done it but then it would have hurt fuel economy plus meant 91 octane. Maybe there will be a GMPP ECU upgrade like there is for the LNF motor. I'd sacrifice a couple of MPG for a 10% bump in performance.

I like the overall look, and like the front except for the plastic fog light covers. I don't like the black antenna sticking up, and the tail lights look a little like a Kia, so I not sold on those. But overall the exterior is good. Interior looks good, finally GM has a class competitive to class leading interior. Although they better have plans for a touch screen navigation system, because young people will like that, and younger people are going to be buying this car. They need to offer something close to Sync.

Big props to making it 6-speed auto standard, 100% of GM products should have a 6-speed standard so this is a good step. Engine is weak though, 138 hp on the optional engine isn't anything to write home about.

Although they better have plans for a touch screen navigation system, because young people will like that, and younger people are going to be buying this car.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. GPS function is migrating towards smartphones like the Motorola DROID, Blackberry and iPhone, and people my age are a growing customer base for those devices. Young people are more drawn to 'personalization' and that's what I hope GM will offer with the Cruze.

40mpg is something to talk about, and for the class 138hp isn't horrible. The Civic makes 140hp, the Corolla has 132 standard (158 on the XRS or whatever the "performance" model is) and the Elantra make 138. I think the Cruze will be fine in the power department. The Sebringesque c-pillar treatment isn't really my thing.

40mpg is something to talk about, and for the class 138hp isn't horrible. The Civic makes 140hp, the Corolla has 132 standard (158 on the XRS or whatever the "performance" model is) and the Elantra make 138. I think the Cruze will be fine in the power department. The Sebringesque c-pillar treatment isn't really my thing.

138hp is less than the Cobalt's 2.2 w/ 155hp, though. Why not offer the 2.2 or 2.0 Turbo as options? The C-pillar black plastic just shows a lack of imagination and screams cheap, I'm afraid.

Chevy Cruze Hatch in the Works – US Bound? I suspect you will get the wagon from Europe too ...

Holden is in the news again, this time allegedly cooking up a hatchback version of the Chevy Cruze. The handsome (yes, legitimately handsome … especially next to a Cobalt!) product of a union between Suzuki and GM, the Cruze looks to be a hit in Europe, where it has already debuted. Destined to replace the Cobalt, the Holden hatch version has a slim chance of sales here, where hatchbacks generally do poorly. Of course, with a turbocharged Ecotec motor and some tuned suspension, it could be a Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI killer. Are you listening, GM?

Link: http://www.ridelust.com/chevy-cruze-hatch-in-the-works-us-bound/

Edited by Oracle of Delphi

The interior alone should improve sales.

I am holding reserve on commnent till I drive the 1.4 Turbo. While the nubers don't jump at me I expect the torque will start low and have a very flat curve. If it does it should feel more powerful than it really is. this may be where they are getting the mileage without making it feel like a dog.

Big props to making it 6-speed auto standard, 100% of GM products should have a 6-speed standard so this is a good step. Engine is weak though, 138 hp on the optional engine isn't anything to write home about.

Since you've been harping on GM for years for it's 4-speed automatics, I'll open up a thread in the Toyota forum for you so you can do the same for the Corolla's 4-speed auto that comes with every trim except the XRS.

GM waited entirely too long to bring this out, and I guess I'm just kinda tired of looking at it already.

The interior looks pretty good (and I love the black-red combo, looks great!), but I'm not so sure about the front end anymore; it looks cartoonish. The grille should be moved down a bit and the headlights shouldn't sweep back like they do. The rear looks alright, but it's forgettable. Meh.

Lookin' good. I could imagine this being a good family car for a lot of people. Its interior is almost the size of a G6's, with a large trunk to boot.

It's down on power compared to the Cobalt, but real-world fuel economy and performance will likely be better. A flat, low-RPM torque curve is what matters.

GM waited entirely too long to bring this out, and I guess I'm just kinda tired of looking at it already.

The interior looks pretty good (and I love the black-red combo, looks great!), but I'm not so sure about the front end anymore; it looks cartoonish. The grille should be moved down a bit and the headlights shouldn't sweep back like they do. The rear looks alright, but it's forgettable. Meh.

Absolutely, agree.

The front looks sharp. The side is clean cut. The interior is fabulous for the segment.

The rear is untidy, soft and forgetable. The lines simply don't line up; the styling, or rather the lack thereof, is completely out of step with the front and sides of the car.

I started a tread with a suggested re-styling of the tail-lights... here's the photo of what I think they could have done. I am keeping all the metal and bumper contours... this is really just a redo of the tail lights.

cruzerestyled.jpg

In pictures, the Cruze has a lot of fussy details on the outside. It looks like a Korean Chevy, which it is. I'll have to see it in person before making final judgment. The Cobalt, while not exactly refined, continues to be good-looking. The interior looks very good.

Okay so my thoughts:

I am thoroughly impressed with this car, and would strongly consider buying one. You can tell the quality is exceptional just by seeing the pictures and that 1.4T is going to be a nice enough engine I think. even though it has less HP than the Cobalt the 6-Speed auto will probably make up a great deal if not all of that deficiency. I have always planned on buying a new car in 2013 when I graduate from University and I think that one of these, loaded out with leather etc in LTZ trim would be a very nice car for its price.

Looks awesome in the maroon colour, esp in that motion shot! I think I'd have mine in this colour, but with the Black/Gray two tone leather interior as opposed to the Black/Red although I think I could live with it.

I'm fine with the NAV remaining an option but foglamps should be standard on the LTZ.

Makes my Cobalt LT sedan look like a canvas bag full of potatoes

Makes the interior of my Cobalt LT sedan look like a canvas bag full of potatoes

Glad the USB interface is moving to the glove compartment when I had the GM spec USB interface installed in my car the iPod just slides around in there. The GM USB stereos also weren't so great because they had the USB port on the faceplate and that's not good for hiding the unit

One concern is the armrest, which seems a bit too short but at least it won't creak like the one in my Cobalt does from being on a hinge.

Okay so my thoughts:

I am thoroughly impressed with this car, and would strongly consider buying one. You can tell the quality is exceptional just by seeing the pictures and that 1.4T is going to be a nice enough engine I think. even though it has less HP than the Cobalt the 6-Speed auto will probably make up a great deal if not all of that deficiency. I have always planned on buying a new car in 2013 when I graduate from University and I think that one of these, loaded out with leather etc in LTZ trim would be a very nice car for its price.

Looks awesome in the maroon colour, esp in that motion shot! I think I'd have mine in this colour, but with the Black/Gray two tone leather interior as opposed to the Black/Red although I think I could live with it.

I'm fine with the NAV remaining an option but foglamps should be standard on the LTZ.

Makes my Cobalt LT sedan look like a canvas bag full of potatoes

Makes the interior of my Cobalt LT sedan look like a canvas bag full of potatoes

Glad the USB interface is moving to the glove compartment when I had the GM spec USB interface installed in my car the iPod just slides around in there. The GM USB stereos also weren't so great because they had the USB port on the faceplate and that's not good for hiding the unit

One concern is the armrest, which seems a bit too short but at least it won't creak like the one in my Cobalt does from being on a hinge.

Nah, I like foglights as a choice....

Currents Notes of the Cruze so far:

-if the wheelcovers in UK are going to be ours....they suck! They make the current Cobalts look good. I swear, GM can't design a wheelcover....they could use the old version of the Balt's. Steelies are sad, bad covers just make it look like a rental car....

-very few tires in the Cruze's base tire (215/50/16) Lots in the 17s though

(225/50/17)

15 gallon tank on a compact? don't remember one bigger than 13 (maybe just me on this one..)

More as I think of them.... :smilewide:

Edited by daves87rs

15 gallon tank on a compact? don't remember one bigger than 13 (maybe just me on this one..)

If some of GM's recent TV adverts are any indication, I'm guessing they are continuing to play on how they believe (and they may be right) that the average person doesn't realize that the total miles per tank is not actually how to calculate a vehicle's fuel efficiency.

Looking forward to the "Cruze gets 600 miles/tank commercial, the civic only 400" commercial.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. GPS function is migrating towards smartphones like the Motorola DROID, Blackberry and iPhone, and people my age are a growing customer base for those devices. Young people are more drawn to 'personalization' and that's what I hope GM will offer with the Cruze.

So...what? A built-in phone? Please, with hands-free laws proliferating, I'm with smk on the nav.

I know it's available in Europe--I'm specifically referring to the US Version, which is the subject of this topic. Usually GM unveils optioned-out images at launch, so that's why it's curious the fog lamps aren't present on the launch image.

Don't worry! Go to Future Vehicles on Chevy.com and you will see the silver one with Fog-Lights.

ChevroletCruze.jpg

Onstar turn-by-turn FTW. Far easier than NAV. Cheaper. Less Distracting. Always up to date.

Before ANY of you knock it.... how many of you have tried it on a new GM vehicle?

I *haven't* used it, but from reviews I've read, it's dependent on Verizon's cell phone reception, meaning it can cut out in certain areas. And there's a monthly fee.

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a $150 Garmin nuvi 200 which has been 100% reliable and easy-to-use. Maps provide far more useful information than arrows and verbal directions can alone, especially on confusing intersections and freeway interchanges.

Best of all, I could bring it along with me to Spain. I downloaded a Garmin map of Western Europe, and voila, it was a lifesaver.

Edited by pow

I *haven't* used it, but from reviews I've read, it's dependent on Verizon's cell phone reception, meaning it can cut out in certain areas. And there's a monthly fee.

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a $150 Garmin nuvi 200 which has been 100% reliable and easy-to-use. Maps provide far more useful information than arrows and verbal directions can alone, especially on confusing intersections and freeway interchanges.

Best of all, I could bring it along with me to Spain. I downloaded a Garmin map of Western Europe, and voila, it was a lifesaver.

I mean over the built in $2100 NAV option which was being discussed.

I like the overall look, and like the front except for the plastic fog light covers. I don't like the black antenna sticking up, and the tail lights look a little like a Kia, so I not sold on those. But overall the exterior is good. Interior looks good, finally GM has a class competitive to class leading interior. Although they better have plans for a touch screen navigation system, because young people will like that, and younger people are going to be buying this car. They need to offer something close to Sync.

Maybe in a car, but not in a pickup. I test drove a Sierra with a 6spd Tranny and it was a dog. The 4 spd ran alot better which is what I prefer.

Not on my shopping list, but I like it. But, as has been mentioned, why is the top engine so weak?

Oh, and...

Don't worry, I won't...but only because the last guy that got crucified gained a fanatical cult following.

Did you know that a few countries (Sudan, Yemen) currently use crucifixion as a death penalty? :neenerneener:

Not on my shopping list, but I like it. But, as has been mentioned, why is the top engine so weak?

Check the RPM you get the peak power out of the 1.4T and compare it to the Cobalt. Ten less horsepower but comparable torque at a lower RPM.