Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwightlooi

A New Design For The Cruze'S Tailights

29 posts in this topic

The Cruze looks sharp and clean cut up front. The side continues the athletically geometric lines and styling cues. The interior is fabulous for the segment. Overall, this must be the best looking compact from GM ever.

But... the tail end is just not forgettable but rather messy at that. The rounded and bulbous treatment of the tail light cluster says -- yells of a mundane cross bred of the Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Corolla with a pinch of the Jetta thrown in just to further muddle the paternal heritage. On top of that, none of the lines in the back line up and the rounded mess is completely out of step with the sides and the front of the car.

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I made this simple sketch that cleans it all up. It was a really simple exercise of connecting the lines really. The outline of the new tail light cluster flows the panel and contour lines. I then added a horizontal ridge in the tail light cover which accentuates an extension of the horizontal chrome bar. All the messy white foil stuff are dropped in exchange for a crystalline red with a sub-ducted white light pipe glowing from behind the red veil. Clean, simple and aligned.

cruzerestyled.jpg

Edited by dwightlooi

Great idea Dwightlooi!

Anyone else want to submit some ideas?

You've gotta keep the current metal, but redo the cluster....

Great idea Dwightlooi!

Anyone else want to submit some ideas?

You've gotta keep the current metal, but redo the cluster....

I am keeping all the metal on the fenders. But, the bumper needs some minor changes as do the trunk lid.

I honestly don't mind any aspect of the car's interior or exterior styling one bit... I don't even mind the plastic roofline filler since it looks like a Mazda 3 without it.

That being said if there was one way to change the taillight cluster I would make it two circular lights similar to the current Cobalt coupe.

I like the taillight cluster as-is. Reminds me a bit of a hyper-exaggerated Camaro.

Not lust-crazed about either, but prefer the factory lenses- I like the 'twin lense' suggestion, and it 'overlapping' the reverse lense. IMO it links well to the other 4-lense Chevys. What I don't care for is the inner sides; the way they angle inward to that point. Tension there.

I'll play, but I'll take it a step further. I don't mind the design of the light elements, I just dislike the shape. The way it droops down towards the quarter panel like its melting, and the overall shape is too big and chunky. So I made tweaks that could be implemented into the production model, and I also added much needed exhuast tips to spruce up the rear, and got rid of that stupid plastic window extender on the c-pillar. I think it looks more sophisticated and sporty.

Current:

gallery_253_2_59059.jpg

My tweaks:

CruzeRear.jpg

DF, that is a good shape. However the Civic-esque light placement within the taillights themselves also bugs me. I'd prefer to see just a simple red round light in the housing on the right, and a reverse light inside the trunklid lights. Like the ones on the Cobalt, but the size and shape of normal taillights.

some of the redesigns posted here are better than the actual, but none are really standing out to me as excellent, sorry.

DF, that is a good shape. However the Civic-esque light placement within the taillights themselves also bugs me. I'd prefer to see just a simple red round light in the housing on the right, and a reverse light inside the trunklid lights. Like the ones on the Cobalt, but the size and shape of normal taillights.

At first I was wondering what you were talking about:

2009-honda-civic-hybrid1.jpg

but then I remembered the JDM Civic and that Acura rebadge sold in Canada:

honda-civic.jpg

So I see what you mean.

I'll play, but I'll take it a step further. I don't mind the design of the light elements, I just dislike the shape. The way it droops down towards the quarter panel like its melting, and the overall shape is too big and chunky. So I made tweaks that could be implemented into the production model, and I also added much needed exhuast tips to spruce up the rear, and got rid of that stupid plastic window extender on the c-pillar. I think it looks more sophisticated and sporty.

Current:

gallery_253_2_59059.jpg

My tweaks:

CruzeRear.jpg

Reminds me of a GS...

Current:

gallery_253_2_59059.jpg

My tweaks:

CruzeRear.jpg

Perfect! I would actually consider buying it if it looked like that. The deletion of the cheap looking black plastic C-pillar fake out, the reshaping of the taillights, and the addition of a sporty looking dual exhaust configuration truly transform the looks of this car. They should seriously consider your version as a midcycle restyling.

Here would be my suggestions, one more step ahead of the curve IMO :

:convertible:

post-1820-1259798103705.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

of course the coupe version would be next !!!...& yes I already fixed the truck line on the sedan ;

post-1820-1259799883599.jpg

That silver strip you extended just sort of ends in the middle of nowhere, there's no flow. Also that exhuast tip on the passenger side lacks a bumper cutout like the one on the driver's side has.

cruzeback4.jpg

^ Coupe Version

DF..exhaust cutout is there, reflections make it hard to see i guess. The "strip" look more complete IMO than the "tacked on" one over the license plate. :smilewide:

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Maybe you should try extending the strip to match the shape of the original tail light so the character line of the car flows into it.

OK, here's a most implementable suggestion. No changes to the fenders or rear bumper assembly. Just a new tail-light and minor changes the the vertical fascia of the trunk lid. And, even with the trunk lid it's purely a subtractive change to the stamping dies.

The basic idea, again, is the alignment of distinct lines in the design. A fundamental technique for clutter reduction...

cruzetailalign.jpg

cruzetail2.jpg

Out of all the changes, I think DF's look the best, but I really don't mind the actual tail lights. Plus, if I was in the market for a compact, I'd probably be looking at the Buick.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room