Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Toyota dealers caught off guard by pedal recall

12 posts in this topic

Filed under: Safety, Toyota

image002_opt_opta.jpg

Last week Toyota publicly announced that it was recalling 3.8 million Avalon, Camry and Lexus ES 350 models on account of fears over unintended acceleration. The fix for Toyota's sudden acceleration issue includes the reshaping and/or replacing of accelerator pedals, with replacement pedals reportedly arriving in April. As you'd probably guess, the massive recall has led to many customers calling dealers for additional info, but unfortunately dealers weren't exactly prepared to respond.

Wards Automotive is reporting that Toyota didn't inform its dealer body of the proposed changes, which apparently includes the reconfiguration of the floor of some models, before the announcement was made. The industry trade journal says that a Toyota spokesman told them that the severity of the situation meant there was no time to inform dealers first, though all dealers have been informed by now.

Wards spoke to a couple dealers who sound more than a little frustrated by the situation. Earl Stewart of Earl Stewart Toyota of North Palm Bay, FL reportedly called the situation "confusing" and "embarrassing," adding that his dealership has been fixing floor mats the past few months without getting paid by Toyota for their work.

While we agree that Toyota was right in getting this information out to the public as quickly as possible, we're surprised it didn't first alert its dealer body. After all, the dealership is the public face of the company, and if customers call and dealers don't have answers, it looks like the situation is anything but under control. The official recall notices for the Avalon, Camry and ES are expected to come by year end, while five other models, including the Prius, Tacoma, Tundra and Lexus IS 250/IS 350, will receive similar notices sometime in 2010.

[source: Wards Automotive, sub. req'd]

REPORT: Toyota dealers caught off guard by pedal recall originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=_qZtAj5nFKk:YaUcmZNyIrg:wF9xT autoblog?i=_qZtAj5nFKk:YaUcmZNyIrg:V_sGL
_qZtAj5nFKk

View the full article

I believe that fix does not fit in with the expectations of an owner of a 40,000 dollar plus car.

Yeah, well at what price point does the expectation of 100 mph into a ditch and bursting into flames come into play?

A lot of upset customers saying they are getting the run around and still believe the pedal is not to blame so then this would all be moot, no? We will see.

Yeah, well at what price point does the expectation of 100 mph into a ditch and bursting into flames come into play?

A lot of upset customers saying they are getting the run around and still believe the pedal is not to blame so then this would all be moot, no? We will see.

This is why Toyota is being the best car company on earth and installing the throttle cutoff (when both throttle and brakes are pressed) for no charge.

This is why Toyota is being the best car company on earth and installing the throttle cutoff (when both throttle and brakes are pressed) for no charge.

Hmmm. Not really sure if you are trying to be funny or not but such software has been incorporated as a safety feature by a number of automakers, including bur maybe not limited to Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Nissan and Chrysler too I believe.

Just saying.

They have been dancing around this issue and the lawsuits associated with this problem for a while now. I wonder if they will go away. Thousands of accounts. Are that many people that silly or inept or was it a poorly designed pedal or perhaps just a tremendously tragic engineering mistake from the start.

So, say I'm buying a brand-new 2010 Camry... will the gas pedal come already sawed off or do I have to come back and have that done? I wonder if Lexus will give me a loaner LS460L if I go to purchase a new IS350...

Hmmm. Not really sure if you are trying to be funny or not but such software has been incorporated as a safety feature by a number of automakers, including bur maybe not limited to Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Nissan and Chrysler too I believe.

Just saying.

They have been dancing around this issue and the lawsuits associated with this problem for a while now. I wonder if they will go away. Thousands of accounts. Are that many people that silly or inept or was it a poorly designed pedal or perhaps just a tremendously tragic engineering mistake from the start.

He was exposing Toyota's spin. They are recalling the pedals, but throwing in a free software reprogram...

He was exposing Toyota's spin. They are recalling the pedals, but throwing in a free software reprogram...

Orly? Not 2 people that missed it from the first little twisty tie joke. Like that was going to do anything( get it now) 007 can respond if he wanted but you are taking the piss on this one my friend. If anything I believe it was sarcasm he was aiming. :AH-HA:

Oh my my.

@ Paulino :lol: THAT was funny.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0