Well, I'm screwed

Camino LS6

I do too. Some days I think that 95% of what's wrong with the world is the fault of lawyers.

...and the best man at my wedding is now a Judge for the state of California...hmmm.

Hope things work out on the Silverado sale. WTF did his layer find wrong????

Chris

I guess that the agreement was written by two landscapers instead of two lawyers.

Who the F knows?

Too bad Lawyers don't have to take a 6 month sabbatical every 5 years to make something actually work, or do something useful.

Chris

Did I miss something? Why is there a legal agreement beyond the scope of signing the back of the title?

Because there is a lien that has to be satisfied before the title can be "electronically generated".

And, the goddamned bank won't do that until they verfy the payoff for six freaking days!

Try to do the right thing, and this is what happens.

Edited by Camino LS6

the contract for the sale has to have a cooling off period instituted so it can be rescinded if there is an issue with the 6 day verification period. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to accomplish the actual cooling off period if one or both of the parties are uneasy. If the verification were to no go through, then you or the bank would have to make a demand for the vehicle back.

I mean, all the risk and reward is really on the buyer. He will have possession of the vehicle, the money will be in the bank's hands and the title should be delivered to him.

If he wants to return the vehicle in the same reasonable condition which he purchased it within say 7 days, then he should be able to do so prior to the bank verification. But if he does, he has to agree that it may take up to XX number of days for the money to be returned to him by the bank and buyer assumes all transaction fees if he rescinds the contract within the 7 day cooling off period.

Q: What do you call 20,000 lawyers buried at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start

Sorry, Camino. Honestly, I don't understand why there was a need to involve a lawyer in a car sale at all.

Q: What do you call 20,000 lawyers buried at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start

Sorry, Camino. Honestly, I don't understand why there was a need to involve a lawyer in a car sale at all.

If the buyer is a landscaper and he has his own business and was buying the truck under the business, then a lawyer may need to look it over for tax/liability purposes.

Agree with Bond, James bond.

To me, bankers rate right there with religious prophets (think Jim Jones, Sun Yung Moon, Mohommad, et al) and child molesters as people I pretty much have no use for.

No be like Mr Bond and fis yourself a martini, shaken, not stired, and not too much of that nasty vermooth.

The truck is worth the money you are asking...a buyer will come forth.

Chris

This is insane...a lawyer...seriously..."I have a friend who..." Give me a break.

On the other hand, people do private sales of cars with active loans on them every second of every day, I just don't know how the payoff typically works. I'd assume situations like OCN's, ideally, but even then, this seems extreme.

Hmm...

Well I got my state representative's office involved.

They have done two things for me:

- Arranged to get a duplicate title from the DOT that allows the transaction to occur in the rep's local office. So the bank lied and a real paper title does exist.

- Contacted the state attorney general's office to look into the bank's practices in this regard.

Now I just have to hope that my buyer is still willing.

Edited by Camino LS6

Chase sucks big time. They totally F-ed up the WaMu branches they took over.

Can't hate on them too much, though. Their incompetence worked out to my benefit this week.

I find the virtual title real surprising. It is the state that generates the title not the bank, but the bank holds it and it is given to the owner after the loan is completely paid off.

That's the issue I've been pressing with the state rep's office, if it isn't illegal - then it needs to be.

It seems I've convinced them of the need for legislation to address the problem.