Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: LA Preview: 2011 Ford Fiesta for America revealed, hits 40 mpg

47 posts in this topic

Filed under: LA Auto Show, Budget, Sedan, Hatchback, Ford

fiesta-1280-006_opt.jpg
2011 Ford Fiesta - Click above for high-res image gallery

The Ford Fiesta has proven to be a very successful small car wherever it's sold in the world. Ford has sold 12 million Fiestas over the vehicle's lifetime and the new-for-2009 model has moved half a million units already this year in Europe and Asia. It's a smash hit in spite of the fact that the Fiesta is not for sale in the U.S., a.k.a. the world's biggest car market. That all changes in the spring of 2010 as the Fiesta finally makes its way stateside.

Ford appears to be focusing its efforts in the U.S. small car market at exactly the right time, as consideration for B-Segment vehicles is at an all-time high and the trend appears to be upwardly mobile. And while Ford would love for us to believe that it was clairvoyant when deciding to bring the Fiesta to the U.S., it just isn't true. In fact, the Fiesta wasn't originally designed for the U.S. market, but the shock of $4 per gallon gas and a new-found interest in eco-friendly transportation led the Blue Oval to rethink its strategy. Ford didn't start readying the Fiesta for the U.S. market until many bits and bolts of hardware were already settled, so Team Blue had to go back to the drawing board to make its small car ready for Americans. The result is a U.S.-spec Fiesta that has only 60% of its parts in common with the Euro Fiesta. Will Americans be missing out? Follow the jump for everything you need to know about the Fiesta.

Gallery: 2011 Ford Fiesta

fiesta-1280-006a_thumbnail.jpgfiesta-1280-004_thumbnail.jpgfiesta-1280-001_thumbnail.jpgfiesta-1280-005_thumbnail.jpgfiesta-1280-003_thumbnail.jpg

Continue reading LA Preview: 2011 Ford Fiesta for America revealed, hits 40 mpg

LA Preview: 2011 Ford Fiesta for America revealed, hits 40 mpg originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 00:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=V7mYw2uUE9M:s2T49JxXDVo:wF9xT autoblog?i=V7mYw2uUE9M:s2T49JxXDVo:V_sGL
V7mYw2uUE9M

View the full article

Wish they didn't cheapen the looks - I don't like the raised ride height, generic wheels, no fog lights, no projector headlights, clunkier steering wheel and center console - but it's still going to be a competitive and successful car.

It just lacks the expensive, jeweled look of the international model. Oh well...

I saw a 1/2 dozen or Euro spec ones out and about at the Phoenix auto show this weekend, walked around one and checked it out...part of the Ford 'Fiesta Movement' brigade...it's an impressive little car, great shape. Reminds me of the Merc A-class, but nicer.

As far as the US spec, I bet foglights will show up as an option for '12...those chrome inserts w/ LEDs look silly, IMHO. The higher ride height is no doubt necessary in the US for clearance for tire chains and the potholed roads of the Rust Belt.

What is up with the grill insert piece? It looks like the G5 grill - an afterthought.

A compromise so the sedan and hatch can have the same hood. If you look at the pics, the European models have different, longer hoods w/ a notch for the blue oval. It's too bad they didn't stick w/ the Euro hood and fascia.

...It's too bad they didn't stick w/ the Euro hood and fascia.

I totally agree. The Euro front end treatment is equal parts sporty and classy. Both versions of the U.S. car have cheap and awkward front end treatments. I was really looking forward to this car coming to the U.S. until I saw how the front end was butchered. It sort of reminds me of the 2010 Mazda3 sedan; great looking car with a deal breaking front end treatment. How disappointing.

A compromise so the sedan and hatch can have the same hood. If you look at the pics, the European models have different, longer hoods w/ a notch for the blue oval. It's too bad they didn't stick w/ the Euro hood and fascia.

It's a way to mask the larger volume of the US spec bumper. Thst way it doesn't look bad. I agree that they should have replicated te Euro-spec grill looks as much as possible.

all those that were clamoring for the current euro focus here, this fiesta butchering is just an example of why ford didn't bring the euro focus here. in order to reach US price points, they have to butcher the niceties out of it. i am looking at the interior photos of this thing and it just is not the same as the euro version. it looks dumbed down. i wonder what sort of cost cuts they have done to the suspension and steering?

this is why, those of you who like the Regal, be sure to get the first year run from Germany while you can, once the car gets decontented for the NA manufacture version you will see things like the cheaper controls, cheaper plastic, etc.

Edited by regfootball

It's still pretty damn impressive for what it is, especially for the category it competes in.

what happened to this?

I don't see much difference beyond the interior color, haven't studied the details, though. Slightly different steering wheel trim and glovebox area, looks like.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wish they didn't cheapen the looks - I don't like the raised ride height, generic wheels, no fog lights, no projector headlights, clunkier steering wheel and center console - but it's still going to be a competitive and successful car.

It just lacks the expensive, jeweled look of the international model. Oh well...

+1...

I still think it'll handily kill the Aveo (Or Viva, or whatever lame ass name they're calling it this week)

But I'm not a fan of the changes. I would've happily purchased a Euro spec Fiesta, but the detail omissions here made me reverse my definite answer and decision

I like the hatch more than the sedan, and the Euro model more than the American ones, but its still one hell of a package that should dominate the segment.

the size of this thing at least on the sedan is a bit interesting. the fiesta is 173" long, the current US focus is 175 inches i believe. i haven't compared the wheelbases yet.

in THEORY, we might actually have similar cabin sizes. in pictures the fiesta cabin seems very narrow.

it actually makes me wonder what this thing will feel like on the road. the weight of this thing is super light, and the focus is already a lightweight at around 2700 pounds i think. the fiesta is supposed to be lighter, not much smaller, i hope it doesn't feel TOO light, i.e. can't hold the road in the winter, or in a crosswind.

i am still interested in this car if its cheap and has the turbo kit option. the hatch is too egglike for me, the sedan would be my preference. but if the cruze is priced the same and has the same mpg or better, then it becomes a handling vs. interior room competition. the cruze will easily outspace the fiesta, and the fiesta will probably handle better.

if the fiesta is more the size of a hyundai accent inside, i don't want anything to do with it. if it at least matches the current focus in interior room, then its perhaps doable.

and even then, i doubt either car is as nice as an 08 astra or any VW in terms of a combination of handling and solidity.

Edited by regfootball

I don't like the sedan and its stupid 3 bar grill, but then the 5 door was what I wanted all along. Overall it looks very good. Yes they made changes to the front end for the US spec model and to the dash, but they both look good. those chrome inserts actually serve a design purpose by tying in the character line.

Yes the interior is actually quite different if you examine it solely, but the overall feel is the same. If anything I like it better.

Ford-Fiesta-Interior-01-lg.jpg

fiesta-120-008.jpg

Autoblog claims the interior is still high quality and those leather seats would be at home in a Lincoln. They also say that the redesigned dash and crash structure means front passengers get a little more room.

the size of this thing at least on the sedan is a bit interesting. the fiesta is 173" long, the current US focus is 175 inches i believe. i haven't compared the wheelbases yet.

in THEORY, we might actually have similar cabin sizes. in pictures the fiesta cabin seems very narrow.

it actually makes me wonder what this thing will feel like on the road. the weight of this thing is super light, and the focus is already a lightweight at around 2700 pounds i think. the fiesta is supposed to be lighter, not much smaller, i hope it doesn't feel TOO light, i.e. can't hold the road in the winter, or in a crosswind.

i am still interested in this car if its cheap and has the turbo kit option. the hatch is too egglike for me, the sedan would be my preference. but if the cruze is priced the same and has the same mpg or better, then it becomes a handling vs. interior room competition. the cruze will easily outspace the fiesta, and the fiesta will probably handle better.

if the fiesta is more the size of a hyundai accent inside, i don't want anything to do with it. if it at least matches the current focus in interior room, then its perhaps doable.

and even then, i doubt either car is as nice as an 08 astra or any VW in terms of a combination of handling and solidity.

You obviously haven't read reviews about the Fiesta. I suggest doings some research.

The pricing is VERY good. Here's a Fiesta that I'd actually consider purchasing...

2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback, 5-speed Manual Transmission - $15,120

202A Sport Appearance Package (15" alloys, LED aux lamps, cruise control) - $255

SYNC and Sound - Free w/ pre-order

Destination - $675

Oxford White exterior

Charcoal Black with Blue Accent interior

Total - $16,050

Ideally, I'd get the $1,950 European Fiesta 17" wheels and tire accessory, but even these 15-inchers are decent... the same as the ones on the Euro Fiesta. The 16" SES/SEL wheels are NA-spec and look dowdier.

A Fit Sport is $1,000 more and doesn't even have ESP.

post-28-12598237126712.png

post-28-12598237210646.png

You obviously haven't read reviews about the Fiesta. I suggest doings some research.

reviews are nice but i will hold judgment until i actually drive one.

everyone says the fit is so great but its not all that and a platter of gold either. a nice shifter and light steering tends to mask that its a cheap light car with a plasticky interior, noisy, and not a terrific amount of power.

you should really get out and test drive the cars yourself instead of just reading all the PR fluff and paid for reviews in the press, really.

it should be interesting to see after the first model year if anyone lines up to blow 24k on a leather lined fiesta with power seats.....a small ford still needs incentives to move in the volumes needed to please the dealers......

a cobalt SS with nurburgring record times, praised road manners and 260hp couldn't sell with premium price, i am not sure how this car will fare with half the power and less interior room.....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0