Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Cadillac CTS Coupe won't spawn convertible variant

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertible, Cadillac

cts-coupe1.jpg
2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe - Click above for high-res image gallery

If you're nostalgic, the first car that may come to mind when you think about a droptop Cadillac is the old tail-finned Fifties Eldorado. A pink one especially. But since then, the American luxury marque hasn't had a whole lot of convertibles. There was the Pininfarina-styled Allante and the recently discontinued XLR, both roadsters, but if you think the General's luxury division is eager to get back into the open-air business, think again, as new reports indicate that there are no such plans on the horizon.

At least not based on the CTS, anyway. The series has spawned a sedan - including the all-conquering CTS-V - a wagon and even a coupe, but the guys over at Inside Line say they've got the inside line that no convertible version of one of Cadillac's most prolific models is in the works. Which is a bit of a shame, when you think about it. But you never know what's coming around the corner...

[source: Inside Line]

REPORT: Cadillac CTS Coupe won't spawn convertible variant originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Mun2IAHkaVw:0GlXAL42uqg:wF9xT autoblog?i=Mun2IAHkaVw:0GlXAL42uqg:V_sGL
Mun2IAHkaVw

View the full article

don't need a convertible. they would be far better off with some type of 2 seat replacement. Like a roadster ATS variant or even just an ATS convertible.

The XLR concept is sound too, just that is has to sell at a higher price due to the corvette underpinnings.

the other thing, the design of the car would not look good as a convertible.

Edited by regfootball

Reg, you are contradicting yourself. You say no convertible, but yes convertible.

I think he means no CTS convertible, but other convertibles would be fine. And I agree with that. The CTS is a 5 and E sized car whether or not it is 5 and E priced. The ATS needs to have all the body styles. For the CTS sedan, wagon, and coupe are enough. A new XLR would also be cool if it was actually competitive.

I think he means no CTS convertible, but other convertibles would be fine. And I agree with that. The CTS is a 5 and E sized car whether or not it is 5 and E priced. The ATS needs to have all the body styles. For the CTS sedan, wagon, and coupe are enough. A new XLR would also be cool if it was actually competitive.

yup exactly that

If there is no CTS convertible, then there has to be an ATS convertible. But how long will it take for that to get here? Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes already have convertibles. Yet Lincoln and Acura do not, does Cadillac want to be like Lincoln or like the big boys.

If there is no CTS convertible, then there has to be an ATS convertible. But how long will it take for that to get here? Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes already have convertibles. Yet Lincoln and Acura do not, does Cadillac want to be like Lincoln or like the big boys.

You have a valid point, but what percent of these automakers sales are convertibles, and which are anything but convertibles? In my opinion the ATS is taking too long in general, but better to have a great product later than a $h!ty product now. Especially if it's a $h!ty product with only one bodystyle. I think that the public, government, and new GM board don't realize that an entire new car company can't just pop up overnight. The turn around under Wagner was taking entirely too long, and failing miserably, but now that GM has positive momentum again, we all just need to sit back and give them some time to show us what they've got up their sleeve.

You have a point. But like when I see Lexus advertising their little vert on commercials for the holidays, I remember: how fun is the car really with a gas pedal sawed off? It's one of those things that I just continue to think to myself, "You've got to be kidding me."

You have a valid point, but what percent of these automakers sales are convertibles, and which are anything but convertibles? In my opinion the ATS is taking too long in general, but better to have a great product later than a $h!ty product now. Especially if it's a $h!ty product with only one bodystyle. I think that the public, government, and new GM board don't realize that an entire new car company can't just pop up overnight. The turn around under Wagner was taking entirely too long, and failing miserably, but now that GM has positive momentum again, we all just need to sit back and give them some time to show us what they've got up their sleeve.

I agree it is better to get the product right, but the Germans have good product now. GM is always "good product is coming in 2-3 years." But GM has had problems for over 20 years, they need results, not talk of how things will get better. Time is not a luxury they have. GM can't just claim that in 3 years Model X is coming and it will be the savior. Heard that with the Cobalt, the 2006-07 Saturns, the Malibu, GMT900s, Lambdas, CTS, etc. All those products from 2006-2008 that were supposed to turn GM around and they went bankrupt. So GM doesn't get time, that is why Fritz is gone, the turnaround effort is still too slow.

I remember wondering what a CTS vert would look like in a post in one of the coupe threads.

What I didn't post is that I think it would look odd.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0