Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: LA 2009: 2011 Hyundai Sonata debuts with style, four-cylinder only and less weight

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: LA Auto Show, Sedan, Hyundai

2011hyundaisonata000_opt.jpg
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE - Click above for high-res image gallery

Cheap and inexpensive are not necessarily synonymous. Inexpensive is generally considered a positive thing. Cheap? Not so much. Hyundai automobiles have always been relatively inexpensive compared to their direct competitors. In recent years, the Korean company has worked extremely hard to rid itself of any talk of cheapness by improving quality, introducing an unprecedented 10-year/100,000 mile warranty and engaging in some remarkably clever marketing campaigns.

It wasn't always so. Way back in 1983, Hyundai first entered the North American market when the Pony hatchback went on sale in Canada. Two years later, the replacement for the Pony, dubbed "Excel" went on sale in the United States. To say that the launch did not go well would be the understatement of the decade. While those early Hyundai models were indeed cheap, the company nearly met the same fate in this market as Yugo.

Unlike the abysmal Yugo, Hyundai persevered. The company kept redesigning its cars, making each subsequent generation better than the last and extending its warranties to generate confidence in its products. More than two decades later, Hyundai is introducing its latest challenger, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, into what is arguably the most fiercely contested segment in the U.S. market - that of the family sedan. Check out our high-res galleries below, and then click through to the jump to read more of our impressions and check out Hyundai's press release and specifications.

[source: Hyundai]

Continue reading LA 2009: 2011 Hyundai Sonata debuts with style, four-cylinder only and less weight

LA 2009: 2011 Hyundai Sonata debuts with style, four-cylinder only and less weight originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:35:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=kvysN5FhIEM:dDTvUZHYv0g:wF9xT autoblog?i=kvysN5FhIEM:dDTvUZHYv0g:V_sGL
kvysN5FhIEM

View the full article

Strong Solara vibe to the front end. The greenhouse and side crease oddly remind me of the new Prius from that angle.

Yes, it has a very strong Toyota vibe to it. The last Sonata had a Honda look to it. Still, it's pretty adventurous for a family sedan.

love the side profile. the rear end looks too bmw-eqsue and the front end looks like every other blandmobile out there. i think they did an awesome job on the interior though. everything looks really creative and artistic and holy cow batman look at that rear legroom! overall good job hyundai solid offering. one of the best midsize sedans on the market right now i'd have to say

That thing is remarkably ugly! Why do the Asian OEM's appear to mistake ugliness with style? See Toyota, Acura, Subaru (with the newer refreshes), etc. Ugly does not equal interesting or stylish. Didn't anybody learn from the Aztek? :palm:

Hyundai completely melded the Solara coupe with the first-gen Mercedes CLS. Blech.

I was thinking a Solara and a CC that got beat with the ugly stick...or impaled...

That thing is remarkably ugly! Why do the Asian OEM's appear to mistake ugliness with style? See Toyota, Acura, Subaru (with the newer refreshes), etc. Ugly does not equal interesting or stylish. Didn't anybody learn from the Aztek? :palm:

'Stylish' is very subjective. In different markets and different cultures, what may be percieved as 'ugly' to one may not be in another.

I think it looks great. It's expressive, distinctive, and obviously very polarizing. I am seriously considering giving it a look when it comes out early next year. This car does the same thing to the "Sonata" name that the 2008 Malibu did for the "Malibu" name; it transforms the name from "frumpy" to "desirable". I'm not sure it will appeal to the average mainstream midsize sedan buyer, but it sure does appeal to me. I was thinking about looking at a Buick Regal, but I may be going with Hyundai instead.

Too weird for me. I agree with Croc's assessment, Solara/CLS melding with poor results.

I sort of liked the way this car was turning out in the camo shots, but seeing it fully in the nude...pass. Like the new Accord, the design is too busy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0