Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: LA 2009: Mazda unveils North American spec Mazda2 for 2011

7 posts in this topic

Filed under: LA Auto Show, Budget, Hatchback, Mazda

mazda2lalive_lead.jpg
2011 Mazda2 - Click above for high-res image gallery

The 2011 Ford Fiesta may have been the big B-segment reveal last night, but Mazda has finally decided to bring its own compact runabout to North America, and it's based on the same architecture as it Blue Oval sibling. Originally launched in Europe, Japan, and Australia a couple of years ago, the Mazda2 was very well-received by media and consumers alike, a warm reception that probably helped make the case for the Japanese automaker to bring it over to the United States. That time has arrived, and the Mazda2 will be available in North America as a 2011 model.

Although Mazda revealed what the North American spec version will look like, it's still holding back additional information, including engine specifications, interior details, and pricing. We'll get more details soon, but in the meantime, check the full release after the jump and our live pics from the floor below.

Gallery: 2011 Mazda2

2011mazda2000_thumbnail.jpg2011mazda2001_thumbnail.jpg2011mazda2002_thumbnail.jpg2011mazda2003_thumbnail.jpg2011mazda2004_thumbnail.jpg

Live photos copyright ©2009 Drew Phillips / Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading LA 2009: Mazda unveils North American spec Mazda2 for 2011

LA 2009: Mazda unveils North American spec Mazda2 for 2011 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=wJ6zC0p70FQ:xqPbpedKgJ8:wF9xT autoblog?i=wJ6zC0p70FQ:xqPbpedKgJ8:V_sGL
wJ6zC0p70FQ

View the full article

Yes, here is that horrible nose again... but I have to say, it looks slightly less bad here than it does on the Mazda 3.

I agree. The "smiley face" grille isn't quite as offensive here as it is on the 2010 Mazda3. I think it might be a combination of the smaller scale of the vehicle and the fact that there is a little more business around the Mazda badge to distract from it.

Honestly, I wished Mazda would have simply designed an evolution of the grille design of the 2004-2005 Mazda3s sedan as the "face" for the brand's more mainstream car products. That grille design looked great. They didn't need to reinvent or revolutionize their grille design. A lot of respected premium/luxury manufacturers have stuck with simple evolutions of their iconic grille designs and it hasn't affected their status or popularity (although Mazda isn't a premium/luxury brand; it seems as though the premium/luxury segment sticks to the evolving grille design more than the mainstream segment). Link: Net Car Show: 2004 Mazda3s sedan.

Maybe the exterior designs are misleading, but it appears as though the Fiesta 5-door has more rear cargo space than the Mazda2 5-door. The Mazda2 looks like it is mostly interior passenger volume (as much as possible with a subcompact vehicle) with maybe a sliver of cargo space left in the rear. The exterior designs may be misleading though. It just appears as though the Fiesta has more utility than the Mazda2.

Even though I am less than impressed with the front end treatment of the U.S. version of the Fiesta, I still think it will rule the subcompact class. The Mazda2 will be hopelessly overshadowed by it. I think the Mazda2 is a nice looking little car, but I think the Fiesta trumps it in both looks and hype. It's a shame that Mazda didn't have this here in time for the gas price spike of 2008; I think it would have made more of an impact then.

Edited by cire

Yes, here is that horrible nose again... but I have to say, it looks slightly less bad here than it does on the Mazda 3.

I think it's worse..could just be the fact that it is small...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room