Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: LA 2009: Volkswagen shows off "Final Edition" New Beetle models

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: LA Auto Show, Convertible, Hatchback, Volkswagen

02-vw-beetle-final-live-630op.jpg
2010 Volkswagen New Beetle - Click above for high-res image gallery

03-vw-beetle-final-live-250op.jpgSignifying the end of what has been a long run, Volkswagen has introduced "Final Edition" models of the New Beetle coupe and convertible. Each will be limited to a run of just 1,500 units. Under the hood is VW's familiar 2.5-liter inline-fine (rated at 150 horsepower) sending power to the front wheels through a six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission - nothing new there. However, the German automaker has fitted a full sport suspension and unique 17-inch alloy wheels to each of the New Beetles to add a touch more driving excitement.

Cosmetically, the Final Edition models feature Aquarius Blue paint. The hardtop version breaks up the color with a black roof and integrated fog lights, while the convertible model has a two-tone Aquarius Blue/Campanella White paint scheme and a white top. Special badging is found on the front quarter panel and on the steering wheel. The hatchback version hits showrooms with a base MSRP of $20,240 and the convertible starts at $27,170. Press release after the jump.

[source: Volkswagen]

Continue reading LA 2009: Volkswagen shows off "Final Edition" New Beetle models

LA 2009: Volkswagen shows off "Final Edition" New Beetle models originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=stbBDYvjZ50:qenFLcOXKfU:wF9xT autoblog?i=stbBDYvjZ50:qenFLcOXKfU:V_sGL
stbBDYvjZ50

View the full article

so does that mean it's being cancelled after this model year? if so, good riddance. you can't let a model fritter away for 12 years with no major exterior styling changes. everyone (or should i say all the girls) that wanted a "new beetle" already has one. who did they expect would buy then after the initial rush?

so does that mean it's being cancelled after this model year? if so, good riddance. you can't let a model fritter away for 12 years with no major exterior styling changes. everyone (or should i say all the girls) that wanted a "new beetle" already has one. who did they expect would buy then after the initial rush?

Its was my understanding that a new "New Beetle" will be coming in 2011. However, I'm not sure that is still on. Probably is, as the New Beetle has done well overall.

I had two '98s, first one, silver, purchased in April, '98 (that dealership's first silver one) was fine until the dealership put it on a lift incorrectly for its first oil change and crushed the right side rocker panel... they graciously traded me out of it into a blue one at no expense to me (they were hot in the market at that point) and the problems started immediately, it overheated that first weekend, the hood got so hot the glue on the VW emblem melted and it flew off. I sold it to a used car dealership after 3 months and multiple small quality control problems and got into a new '98 S-10 ZR2.

It's been a good run. I'm interested in seeing the new version.

I like the new GTI FWIW, and the TDI GOLFand Jetta.

However, this car doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to me. My 13 year old daughter was asked by one of her friends if she wanted one. She replied that she'd rather have a Miata or a Solstice, because the New Beetle was under poweredand most of them are manual.

She's also trying to convince my wife that we really, really need a C6 Z06 as our next family car. I must be doing something right!

Chris

Actually, if you make a design that people love to begin with, you can, and you make gobs of money doing so. This isn't a design that's competing to be the most contemporary, it's based on a classic style, which on the downside is hard to change and still get right, but on the upside doesn't have to try so hard to change with current trends. Get the design right, and you can milk it for twice as long as a contemporary design, and some people will still be sad to see it go. Terrific profit model.

I like the new GTI FWIW, and the TDI GOLFand Jetta.

However, this car doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to me. My 13 year old daughter was asked by one of her friends if she wanted one. She replied that she'd rather have a Miata or a Solstice, because the New Beetle was under poweredand most of them are manual.

She's also trying to convince my wife that we really, really need a C6 Z06 as our next family car. I must be doing something right!

Chris

Nice!

That, and mine wants to drive at 1 and a half...

I'm not sure why, but I'm going to miss the current version...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room