Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Zeta-based Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle [Live image update]

9 posts in this topic

Zeta-based Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle [Live image update]

Chevrolet quietly released its new police-spec Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) to the media today at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Although shown earlier this year at a police chiefs conference, the LA show marks the first public outing of the new Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8-based Caprice PPV.

The new cruiser is set to arrive in police fleets across the country in early 2011. Like the outgoing Pontiac G8 on which it is mostly based, the police spec-Caprice will be available with V8 and V6 engines, although the six-cylinder version won’t become available until 2012.

When equipped with the optional 355 horsepower 6.0-liter V8, GM says the Caprice PPV can accelerate from 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds, making it the fastest police vehicle currently in service. GM also says the V8-powered sedan will have the highest top speed of any police spec vehicle. Active Fuel Management and E85 capability should ensure decent fuel economy.

But police duty is more than just about running down the bad guys, which is why GM has equipped the Caprice PPV with a number of other unique features. The Caprice PPV package also includes a high-output alternator, engine oil, transmission and power steering coolers, 18-inch steel wheels, heavy duty brakes, and upgraded suspension, a revised stability control program and a driver information center mounted in the gauge cluster.

Inside, the Caprice PPV offers seating for five, with greater rear-seat leg room than the Ford Crown Victoria police cruiser. The five-seat design also allows for an optional center-mounted touch-screen computer. Two trunk-mounted batteries ensure the Caprice will never run low on juice.

Chevrolet tells us that the rear seat will come covered in heavy duty vinyl but will be otherwise similar to what is found on the G8 for safety compliance reasons. Buyers can replace the rear seat with a hard plastic police-spec setup at their discretion.

“The new Chevrolet Caprice police car is the right tool at the right time for law enforcement,” said Jim Campbell, general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. “We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the Crown Victoria in key areas.”

An undercover street appearance package will also be available for the Caprice, although it will not be available to the general public.

The U.S. police Caprice is very similar to the civilian Chevrolet Caprice sold by General Motors in the Middle East, as well as the Holden. Slightly longer than the Commodore/G8, the Caprice police car will be built in Australia beginning next year.

Link with 14 photos:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-caprice-police-patrol-vehicle.html

Hey Guys...after a long time absence, I found my way back. I hardly recognize the place!

Ok...where is the official petition to bring the NOW North American produced Caprice "cop only" car to the general public?

What could their excuse now possibly be? It's got the steering wheel on the correct side and is "down market" enough not to compete with Buick's FWD luxomobile's nor Cadillacs RWD premiums.

So...what's the hold up? GM afraid to make a profit?

Seriously where is the official petition to sign?

I've not been this excited about a car since...the 1990 Caprice. (Still own my '91)

I'm not interested in the Malibu, no matter how fine a midsized FWD V-6 car it is. The G8, well, I respected its performance, but it was a bit to "boy racer" and "performance oriented=hard tires and stiff springs" for my taste. I prefer the understated, long wheel base Caprice's sleek looks. I know it won't be a floatmobile. But my '91 won't last forever.

And if this doesn't come to market, my next car will be a Dodge Challenger or a Chrysler 300 (gen II). Hell, even Hyundai can make a largish V8 RWD car. EVEN HYUNDAI, GM! You already let the Japanese overtake you, now the Koreans? What's next? The Chinese? The Indians?

Okay, I could go on forever. Someone has surely organized an official campaign to march on detroit or at least an online petition.

This is market IGNORANCE if GM denies the top of the line Chevy to its life time customers, who then become lifetime Hyundai customers.

Never thought I'd have to use the words Hyundai and Caprice in the same sentence. Yes, Chevy, compete with Hyundai. (I just threw up a little in my mouth!)

Arg.

I want my Caprice. And I want it now. Why won't GM take my money?????

Hey Guys...after a long time absence, I found my way back. I hardly recognize the place!

Ok...where is the official petition to bring the NOW North American produced Caprice "cop only" car to the general public?

What could their excuse now possibly be? It's got the steering wheel on the correct side and is "down market" enough not to compete with Buick's FWD luxomobile's nor Cadillacs RWD premiums.

So...what's the hold up? GM afraid to make a profit?

Seriously where is the official petition to sign?

I've not been this excited about a car since...the 1990 Caprice. (Still own my '91)

I'm not interested in the Malibu, no matter how fine a midsized FWD V-6 car it is. The G8, well, I respected its performance, but it was a bit to "boy racer" and "performance oriented=hard tires and stiff springs" for my taste. I prefer the understated, long wheel base Caprice's sleek looks. I know it won't be a floatmobile. But my '91 won't last forever.

And if this doesn't come to market, my next car will be a Dodge Challenger or a Chrysler 300 (gen II). Hell, even Hyundai can make a largish V8 RWD car. EVEN HYUNDAI, GM! You already let the Japanese overtake you, now the Koreans? What's next? The Chinese? The Indians?

Okay, I could go on forever. Someone has surely organized an official campaign to march on detroit or at least an online petition.

This is market IGNORANCE if GM denies the top of the line Chevy to its life time customers, who then become lifetime Hyundai customers.

Never thought I'd have to use the words Hyundai and Caprice in the same sentence. Yes, Chevy, compete with Hyundai. (I just threw up a little in my mouth!)

Arg.

I want my Caprice. And I want it now. Why won't GM take my money?????

First, welcome back!

GM is working hard at bringing at the least a Chevrolet and Cadillac version of Zeta to the U.S. Also, it is possible that the Ute will also finally make it here too.

If you have time, "Oracle of Delphi" (member name) touches on this quite a bit. Check out his posts.

Welcome back, LS.

As Satty said, production constraints are a possible issue in selling a civilian version of the car. Additonally, it is still being built in Australia, not North America (at least not yet). Finally CAFE is a possible concern as well.

No one wants more zetas more than I do, but there are still obstacles.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0