You've got a reputation to maintain.

Frankly, if we have a moderating team, I don't see the NEED for the rep system. I also think that in the case of smk, people automatically vote him down. I see his negative reps are already quite high, and some of those posts actually weren't bad at all.

its a case of some folks simply not liking him and his POV although I see he often makes incredibly valid points. Its just that some folks don't want to think another side of an issue exists.

Some of the posting to rebut the notion that the next corvette could have something besides a v8 and something besides pushrod I felt was extreme and not proper in the way it tried to beat people's opinions down. so i make the assumption that all that does is give those who don't even want to think of the alternative ammo to just go minusing a bunch of people. truth is if you went down to GM and talked to the engineers there they would no doubt be considering every alternative possible.

Did anyone ever think Harley would actually build a MODERN powertrain for their motorcycles? Wow, a porsche designed overhead cam liquid cooled screamer on a HARLEY and the tank ain't even atop the motor. Yet there is no possibility GM can ever put anything in a corvette besides a huge v8. The reaction to the possibility was rather caustic in places and that sort of thing I am not sure if a points system doesn't in fact just promote more of the toxicity rather than going into greater detail on discussing all facets of the topic.

How about this: is it possible to simply have a positive rating? That way it would be self-regulating without being as much of a bully situation--it would work the same way; you could see posters who have a certain positive rating or higher, but the negative wouldn't come into play. That way the system could be less punitive, and therefore positive.

What do other people think?

How about this: is it possible to simply have a positive rating? That way it would be self-regulating without being as much of a bully situation--it would work the same way; you could see posters who have a certain positive rating or higher, but the negative wouldn't come into play. That way the system could be less punitive, and therefore positive.

What do other people think?

Says the guy who's given out more negative rep than anyone else :neenerneener:.

I've switched it to positive only.

Says the guy who's given out more negative rep than anyone else :neenerneener:.

I've switched it to positive only.

LOL, but I've given out far more positive than I have negative--hence my complaint about hitting my quota, which never happened with the negatives. Just trying to be pragmatic.

Edited by Croc

We have a good group, but a rating system is a much too easy invitation for abuse. Glad to see it's been switched to positive-only. It is good to hear contrary opinions, the back-and-forth hashing out is part of the fun of being a forum member. Getting rid of ppl who disagree is not good... we are all trainable. Working to win over a contrarian is satisfying. Hearing and considering opposing opinions is good for widening one's plymouth horizons.

We have a good group, but a rating system is a much too easy invitation for abuse. Glad to see it's been switched to positive-only. It is good to hear contrary opinions, the back-and-forth hashing out is part of the fun of being a forum member. Getting rid of ppl who disagree is not good... we are all trainable. Working to win over a contrarian is satisfying. Hearing and considering opposing opinions is good for widening one's plymouth horizons.

plymouth horizon tc3?

A little update.

After looking through the settings we've discovered that the point accumulations for members can be turned off. So now when you rep a post it reps only the post and not the member.

With this in mind, positive and negative reps have been reinstated, since now only posts, and not users, will show as being repped.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Oh come on, admit it, you're an authoritarian.

Law and order is big for you.

Actually, I'm really not authoritarian...like at all. I pretty much recall enforcing the rules on personal attacks pretty stringently (let's be honest, that's why we have a higher level of discussion vs. other sites) and suspending posting privileges swiftly for trolls (e.g. rubenoff, of "too much light, too many candela" fame).

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

A few of you have PMed me to complain about one user or another's posts lately.  The reputation system is there for you to express your displeasure.  In the near future, after the upgrade of the board software to 4.1, posts that get enough negative votes will be hidden from view.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Okay, can everyone just take a break from voting for a bit? 

The guys that came from MT, could you please leave the interpersonal drama over there?   I can see everyone's voting habits and it is clear that a select few are playing scorched earth with the voting system.   

I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow and I want to know that you're know going to blow the place up.  I can set it to only positive voting, but I don't want to because there are times when a negative vote is warranted.

Just be pals and talk cars.  It's that simple. 

• Agree 2

Well… at least you thought it over for (some portion of) 5 whole minutes before reversing course. ;)

I'm not indecisive... I just want to be able to relax on my upcoming vacation. Downvoting will return after I return.   If it continues to be an issue, I may look at other solutions as well. 

• Agree 1

Ill try to work myself up to 69....

I know what you dirty dogs are thinking...

Shame on you for having sinful thoughts...

I was thinking more in terms of a 1969 Hurst Olds...like my name...TSK TSK TSK  on all of you with your dirty, perverted minds...

Hurst-Oldsmobile-V8-44-fq-690x460.jpg

• Agree 1

Well… at least you thought it over for (some portion of) 5 whole minutes before reversing course. ;)

I'm not indecisive... I just want to be able to relax on my upcoming vacation. Downvoting will return after I return.   If it continues to be an issue, I may look at other solutions as well. 

:metal: Rock on Drew you deserve it. :D

First thing I'm going to do after your return is downvote your vacation; I haven't had one in 2 years.

Have a great time anyway; try not to worry about me too much, working like a dog in the Jersey humidity while you party it up!

Bro you make sure to stay hydrated and plan some vacation time, I know speaking from experience that I took none for the last 4 years and finally had my first vacation once the wife graduated college this spring. It was a real recharge and we all need them.

Do not work to hard outside without drinking plenty and please take a vacation. :D

Well, I think the rep score is kind of like a game to me. For me I want my rep score to reflect maximum efficiency. As in number of posts divided by rep score which can be either + or - (I'm still snickering how people can even achieve that. Trying to be a nuisance? Tsk tsk tsk).

So that should indicate how many posts it takes for you to get 1 increase in rep score. I think I'm being pretty efficient for having a 127/22 or 5.72 posts per upvote ratio. 

The goal is to minimize the numerator and maximize the denominator and see if you're really, really an angel of wisdom and all that is nice and great and righteous...or see if you're very efficient in being a nuisance.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Well, I think the rep score is kind of like a game to me. For me I want my rep score to reflect maximum efficiency. As in number of posts divided by rep score which can be either + or - (I'm still snickering how people can even achieve that. Trying to be a nuisance? Tsk tsk tsk).

So that should indicate how many posts it takes for you to get 1 increase in rep score. I think I'm being pretty efficient for having a 127/22 or 5.72 posts per upvote ratio. 

The goal is to minimize the numerator and maximize the denominator and see if you're really, really an angel of wisdom and all that is nice and great and righteous...or see if you're very efficient in being a nuisance.

sadly, for some it is just a game that they brag about in other sites as a way to discourage those they oppose.

Sadder yet, this is not the 5th grade to justify such behavior.