Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Buick rendering teases new compact sedan

35 posts in this topic

Filed under: LA Auto Show, Sedan, Buick, Luxury

buick-render-630op.jpg
Buick Compact Sedan Rendering - Click above for high-res image

Buick officially took the wraps of its 2011 Regal at the LA Auto Show, and in addition to showing off its sportier side, General Motors' reborn Lexus competitor confirmed its intentions to produce a compact sedan - and here's the first rendering.

Likely based on the Chinese market 2011 Buick Excelle XT (a rebadged Opel Astra with an upmarket interior), the new compact four-door is expected to lose its hatch in favor of a traditional trunk and gain a 181 horsepower, 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder mated to a six-speed gearbox.

The sketch above (flashed on screen during the Regal unveiling here in LA) certainly bears a resemblance to the Excelle and to the larger LaCrosse, although a few tweaks to the fascia, headlamps and the addition of a few hood-mounted portholes could be found on the concept and later, the production model. We should know more later this year, when Buick unveils an official design study followed by the eventual production car that is expected by the end of 2010.

Gallery: Buick Excelle XT

1123buick_thumbnail.jpgbuikexcelle05_thumbnail.jpgbuikexcelle03_thumbnail.jpgbuikexcelle07_thumbnail.jpg-buikexcelle01_thumbnail.jpg

LA 2009: Buick rendering teases new compact sedan originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=okF6_UECux0:uL4sq2120Vk:wF9xT autoblog?i=okF6_UECux0:uL4sq2120Vk:V_sGL
okF6_UECux0

View the full article

Well, it definitely looks like the spy shots of the sedan! I really do like the direction Buick is headed. And hearing that it should come with the 1.6T instead of the 1.4T is good news for me. And I like the looks of those wheels in the rendering...

Looks very promising indeed. Instead of simply installing a waterfall grille in the Opel Astra's existing grille opening and calling it a day, it looks like Buick has extensively reworked the front end treatment to better fit in with the brand's other offerings (namely the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse). I see ventiports too! A chrome surround around the side windows is also present (which is lacking on the Chinese version of the Astra 5-door). I can't wait to see the entire actual production version. GM is wise to give it a more powerful engine than the Cruze. It looks like they might create a suitable and appropriate compact sedan this time around (instead of another Cimarron like a lot of people had feared).

Looks good in the rendering, want to see more.

There appear to be six portholes, yet it's only a four.

Front looks good...I just hope it doesn't end up an egg shape overall since we can't really see the rear.

I like what I see so far. Looks like Buick is really getting its mojo going.

Re-done Buick website homepages now features coming Regal prominently!

Buick homepage

Actually the Lucerne doesn't look too bad in that fresh company.

Gentlemen, I think I've found the next GM car I'd really like to own!

Chris

The pursuit of Lexus didn't last long, Buick is chasing the Mazda 3 all of a sudden.

The pursuit of Lexus didn't last long, Buick is chasing the Mazda 3 all of a sudden.

What is this?

500x_Lexus_LF-Ch_Front.jpg

A big burly RWD with twin-turbo V8 producing 500hp and costing $120,000? It has apparently been green-lighted and ready to hit EU streets in about a year.

What is this?

500x_Lexus_LF-Ch_Front.jpg

It has apparently been green-lighted and ready to hit EU streets in about a year.

Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't come to the US also...

Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't come to the US also...

Yeah it is slated for US intro as a MY2012

There appear to be six portholes, yet it's only a four.

VentiPort count was never specifically or intentionally tied to cylinder count.

For years cars had 6 or 8 when all the cars were 8s... and later one car with either a 6 or an 8 never changed VentiPort count.

Buick was not that simplistic about it.

Four ventiports would look odd.

This rendering looks quite nice, though. I wonder what it will be named.

I thought that this was the car they were talking about calling Verano...or was that for the small hatchback concept?

I thought that this was the car they were talking about calling Verano...or was that for the small hatchback concept?

I thought the small hatchback for China is the Ling Lang? (seriously). The Verano is the llsma CUV, I thingk

Yeah OK.

Gentlemen, I think I've found the next GM car I'd really like to own!

Chris

this or the Regal, would be near the top of the list. Camaro too, if the kids were limber and I lived in the south.

The 1.6L turbo making 180hp will probably be 'enough'. with a good 6 speed and german handling, this car should be a welcome change from all the immature rice in the compact segment. And I won't have to suffer the thought of owning a VW, waiting to get it fixed, and trying to associate with all the urban metrosexual bike riders.

I will be fine with sunroof and good cloth seats that are heated. Leather wrap shift and steering wheel. I wonder what it will list for......

Edited by regfootball

I thought the small hatchback for China is the Ling Lang? (seriously). The Verano is the llsma CUV, I thingk

Had to go back to find this, but...

For the Buick faithful, a poster at GMInsideNews states, according to a recent presentation to dealers, the small premium Buick will be called "Verano" and the baby Enclave will be "Encore."

You're right about the Excelle replacement though...linglang, yingyang, it's close enough

Had to go back to find this, but...

You're right about the Excelle replacement though...linglang, yingyang, it's close enough

The Excelle replacement is the car that is the subject of this thread, had been rumored to be called 'Verano' or 'Skylark'. In China, I think the Ying Lang is going to be the Sail replacement (Opel Corsa based B-segment model).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

hmm...for some reason I thought that the Yinglang was the Chinese local market name for the Astra hatch...I wasn't even aware that Buick sold a rebadged Corsa in China

hmm...for some reason I thought that the Yinglang was the Chinese local market name for the Astra hatch...I wasn't even aware that Buick sold a rebadged Corsa in China

I wonder if the US will get something like this off the next Aveo as a G3 replacement...

As far as the Astra sedan based model, I wonder what it will be called in NA..Excelle or maybe Skylark or Century?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0