NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's Docherty to get expanded role; Lutz to be senior adviser

8 posts in this topic

GM's Docherty to get expanded role; Lutz to be senior adviser

STAFF REPORTS

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

DECEMBER 4, 2009 - 7:31 AM ET

UPDATED: 12/4/09 8:42 A.M. ET

DETROIT -- Susan Docherty, General Motors Co.'s sales chief, will get an expanded role and Vice Chairman Bob Lutz will become an adviser to Chairman Edward Whitacre as part of the automaker's management shakeup to be announced today, a person familiar with the moves said.

Docherty, 46, who became vice president of sales in October, will be put in charge of marketing GM's four remaining U.S. brands, the service and parts organization and Onstar, the person said.

Lutz, 77, GM's product chief for most of the decade, had announced plans to retire at the start of the year. He later reconsidered and became vice chairman in charge of marketing.

Bloomberg News reported earlier that GM will give a new role to Lutz as Whitacre overhauls the company's management following the ouster of CEO Fritz Henderson.

Whitacre, a longtime telecommunications industry executive, became interim CEO following Henderson's departure three days ago.

Bloomberg cited a GM spokeswoman saying an employee announcement will be made at 9 a.m. ET.

Another spokesperson said no comments would be made until after the employee announcement.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Whitacre is getting ready to run GM. No one even saw how obvious it was. This was coming. How to you turn around a company?

1. Drop the dead weight and poor management.( Wagoner and Henderson and many of the old GM guard one by one "resigned" or "retired")( translation: they were fired!)

2. Make an example out of someone to make a point about change( Wagoner and Henderson)

3. Bring in a change man and bulldog( Whitacre)

4. Use the people who know the company to build the new company and shore you up where you are deficient. Use people who know the product( Bob Lutz)

5. Show the public you are rebuilding your empire( Keep Opel and Vuaxhall)

My dear friends as Suze Orman would say Ed Whitacre is your new GM CEO.

I'm not sure I like the whole "senior adviser" thing. Usually that equates to "figurehead".

I don't get the Docherty thing.

Neither do I, but Whitacre is too smart to leave dead weight around, so she must have some value besides as brand wrecker.

I'm not sure I like the whole "senior adviser" thing. Usually that equates to "figurehead".

Well, he already announced he was retiring..then went back on that. This is a way to ease into retirement.

Senior adviser just means that Whitacre didn't want to move anybody out in product planning so they made something up for Lutz. It's not like anything changes, he has been doing all of this already.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0