Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Spy Shots: Baby Buick sedan caught in Germany

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Sedan, Buick

babybuickspy000_opt.jpg
Buick small sedan prototype - Click above for high-res image gallery

buick-render-630op_opta.jpgYesterday, we showed you the first official rendering of Buick's forthcoming small car, a shrunken LaCrosse lookalike that is expected to be based on the European market Opel Astra. The image was flashed on the screen during General Motors' presentation of the new 2011 Buick Regal at this week's LA Auto Show, and judging by these latest spy shots from our friends at CarPix, it would appear that the rendering gives us a very good look at the upcoming sedan.

As we saw in an earlier batch of shots, the Delta-II platform-based model (known as the Excelle in China) will retain Buick's signature waterfall grille, yet unlike the Regal, it will have a set of horizontally-mounted ventiports to add a bit of the marque's characteristic flash. In the past, the number of ventiport holes indicated the number of cylinders of the engine lurking beneath the sheetmetal, but in this case, we don't expect for the as-yet-unnamed U.S. sedan to carry more than four cylinders.

With the Regal and this forthcoming small sedan, GM is clearly making a big push to lower the average buyer age of its Buick division by injecting a bit of sport and perhaps a greater measure of affordability. Is this the right strategy for the brand, or is The General at risk of revisiting the same brand perception (and brand overlap) issues it had in the Eighties with smaller cars like the Somerset and Century? Be sure to check out our high-res gallery below and then hop into Comments to let us know what you think.

[source: CarPix]

Spy Shots: Baby Buick sedan caught in Germany originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=frsJxRQZoO4:SQ259gr2IDM:wF9xT autoblog?i=frsJxRQZoO4:SQ259gr2IDM:V_sGL
frsJxRQZoO4

View the full article

These 'spy photos' are well timed with the leaked rendering.

Still prefer the hatch myself.

A body shape more adequate to American tastes. Wonder if the 3-door would be an interesting offer for Buick, with the 2.0L turbo.

These spy photo's have been out for a while.

So far I have not gotten excited about this car. But I am sure once they get it done everything will come together.

I just hope this car stands out a lot from anything else not only from GM but everything on the market. Buick needs something here to make this car special. Just a nice interior in a small car is not enough. A strong engine and best in class ride and handling need to also be a part of this package.

This is what has hurt small Gm luxury cars in the past. THey were nothing but trim packages on small cars they already sold and not much else. This car needs to be a larger jump over the Cruze than just a nicer interior.

Some how I expect they will do it. It is way too early to judge this car or give it a fail. GM of late has really stepped up by production time.

Like I said before, I like it. Think of me as nuts, but there is something almost Audi-like in the shape of it.

And given everything else the general has brought us...why would this car be ANY different?

Chris

Like I said before, I like it. Think of me as nuts, but there is something almost Audi-like in the shape of it.

And given everything else the general has brought us...why would this car be ANY different?

Chris

You are a Buckeye you know!!!

I don't know I just don't get a Audi A like vibe here. It is more a Passat. I hope when we get the final version it will be more Audi like.

But I know better than to prejudge these cars like do many who have had to eat their words later with many of the recent GM offerings.

Lets face it the Lacrosse came out much better than most ever expected. Now if the public can just get a jones for Buick.

If we could see waits for these cars like the new Nox would be great.

Well, it doesn't appear to be a rebadged Cruze or Astra, so that's a plus.

I think it should have gotten the sweepspear to tie it into the LaCrosse. I'm also not a fan of the front quarter window.

Would be nice if it had the Sweepspear but I guess maybe the car isn't long enough to make it look right (?)

I do think the greenhouse is maybe a bit conservative but I love the little window in front of the doors... reminds me of the Dustbuster minivans. If it's as nicely executed as the render from LAIAS I think we'll have a pretty nice car on our hands.

I agree with z on the sweepspear. I also think the Regal needs ventiports, like the LaCrosse and Delta car.

A body shape more adequate to American tastes. Wonder if the 3-door would be an interesting offer for Buick, with the 2.0L turbo.

the 2.0 turbo makes way too much sense. the 1.6 is a nice gesture. giving someone the bird is a gesture also.

the 2.0 turbo is there already. why not use it? this ain't europe.

jetta has a 2.0 turbo. just sayin.

Edited by regfootball

Looking at the pics again, another interesting aspect is that the only changes to the front, besides sticking Buick ventiports on the hood, are the bumper/grille set and the headlights. Yet it looks nothing like the Cruze and Astra. Tail lights are partially covered on the spy pics, but the sketch shows the LaCrosse's rear end, so I think there will be a design connection there.

Yeah, red horizontal slashes with chrome brows, similar in theme to LaCrosse.

I bet the tape is masking the chrome 'eyebrows'. The baby Buick's tail lights seem to be wider than the LaCrosse's, and are cut in two by the trunk opening.

I think it looks alright. I am not a fan of wipers that open up in the middle of the windshield, but eh, it's such a small detail.

the 2.0 turbo makes way too much sense. the 1.6 is a nice gesture. giving someone the bird is a gesture also.

the 2.0 turbo is there already. why not use it? this ain't europe.

jetta has a 2.0 turbo. just sayin.

They are not yet. Lets see what they offer as the car gets closer.

As for the vent ports on the hood. To me they cheapen the car anymore. Now that we went through a spell with a bunch of cheap add on's to a bunch of non Buicks it just reack Cheap add on to me.

If you want the car to speak Buick do it in design not with bolt on's.

I think it looks alright. I am not a fan of wipers that open up in the middle of the windshield, but eh, it's such a small detail.

American cars in the '50s had wipers like that...covers more area than regular wipers. Also, you don't need specific wipers for RHD or LHD. In recent years, some minivans have had 'em, and IIRC, some of the W-bodies had them.

American cars in the '50s had wipers like that...covers more area than regular wipers. Also, you don't need specific wipers for RHD or LHD. In recent years, some minivans have had 'em, and IIRC, some of the W-bodies had them.

Yeah, that I know... I remember the Regal before last had them, I know the current Civic does, etc. Still not a fan ;)

They were a pain on the 1990 GP I had.

Yeah, that I know... I remember the Regal before last had them, I know the current Civic does, etc. Still not a fan ;)

Yeah, my 95 Regal had them, which bothered me at first, but when I traded it in on my Jeep, and was a little sad they were gone...

IIRC,a buddy's '91 Regal had them...about the only other I car I recall riding in with them was my brother's '59 Thunderbird long ago. I like the funky single wiper setup my sister's '91 Merc E-class coupe has, don't know if Merc is still doing that on any models?

I have driven a couple later Ws, don't recall what type of wipers they had ('04 Impala, '05 Grand Prix).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

my aztek has em. some idiot at the tire place when he put new blades on for me got the 24 and 22's mixed up / sides. you want to be driving and have the blades hook and bend up one of them while its raining?

aside from that i don't like it but i do think it covers a wider area of windshield.

IIRC,a buddy's '91 Regal had them...about the only other I car I recall riding in with them was my brother's '59 Thunderbird long ago. I like the funky single wiper setup my sister's '91 Merc E-class coupe has, don't know if Merc is still doing that on any models?

I have driven a couple later Ws, don't recall what type of wipers they had ('04 Impala, '05 Grand Prix).

After the first major restyle the Ws lost the opposing wipers.

They did well on my Cutlass, but they made an annoying loud "thunk" when they retracted themselves under the hood.

I like this car, im going to put it on my short list when it comes time to replace my 2003 Cavalier. having this Buick and a New Camaro would be sweet. Will this car use the same engine as the Cruze? I just wonder what they are going to call it. Id like maybe Skylark, Skyhawk, or Invicta. Im sure the production car will be shown in detroit or new york. since they will start assembly at Lordstown in about a year.

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

They always could do a single wiper like the old small Benz. That one was crazy with the little jog it would do to clear the rood line.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room