Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Here's the Plan: GM reveals how it will deal with shuttered dealers' complaints

2 posts in this topic

Filed under: Government/Legal, Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, GM

closed-gm-dealer.jpg

Back in May, General Motors announced plans to close down a large portion of its dealership network. Since then, a number of those franchisees have lodged complaints to both the automaker itself and appropriate policymakers, leading to possible legislation on how GM is allowed to handle the closing of dealerships. This being the case, The General is proactively drafting a new set of rules as to how it will deal with these to-be-shuttered dealerships, and it promises that some are likely to be reinstated after the process.

Specific details can be seen in the press release pasted after the break, but it seems that the new plan basically will allow these affected dealerships to get some real-life face time with the automaker to hear exactly whey they were targeted for closure. If the dealer still isn't happy with the outcome, it can elect to enter binding arbitration. If that arbiter finds that GM chose to shutter the dealership for anything other than sound business reasons, the franchise stands to be reinstated.

There's plenty more detailed in the plan, including a provision for GM to help service technicians and dealership employees find new placement, after the break. This plan will go into effect by mid-January "provided that legislation related to GM's dealer restructuring does not move forward."

[source: General Motors | Image: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images]

Continue reading Here's the Plan: GM reveals how it will deal with shuttered dealers' complaints

Here's the Plan: GM reveals how it will deal with shuttered dealers' complaints originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=GrtX4iWmHlY:oflEnMQTVXo:wF9xT autoblog?i=GrtX4iWmHlY:oflEnMQTVXo:V_sGL
GrtX4iWmHlY

View the full article

So they're going to bury them in paperwork...

I don't want GM to open all of the dealerships it closed. However, I do want GM to be absolutely CERTAIN that it can afford to forfeit a lot of the rural markets it's looking like the company will abandon. It seems that the bankruptcy plan was very hasty. GM needs to be certain of it's moves.

(BTW, that's a very nice looking dealership)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0