I did something totally crazy....

1. Sorry all, I have no idea how to resize images, im not great with computers (took me a while just to figure out how to post a picture). If anyone of the mods wants to resize them or whatever thats cool.

Anyway back to the car......

I saw the car listed on craigsliston Firday night. After noticing the fog light in the picture, I called the owner Saturday morning. I went over there yesterday, it won't start (the starter is shot and it had a dead battery until today). The two front windows are off the track (so they slide down into the door and stay there, right now I have the car under a car cover) it needs tires, front brakes (pads/ rotors) and a harmonic balancer. I told the lady I wouldn't pay $500 for any car I couldn't hear run, so I got it for $200 plus a tow across town.

Other then that, its got 145,000 miles, and has no rust,(odd for New England) but need paint bad, hopefully I'll do something about that in the summer.

I love the Toronado-esque seats!

Those are the same seats from the Toronado. Oldsmobile used it on the Ninety Eight Touring Sedan and Toronado. My Toronado has those seats.

Congrats to you Brougham-Holiday. That car has potential. You can restore that car with effort,time, patience and money.

I did not care too much for the GM cars from the downsized look alike era, but I did like the 98 Touring Sedan and the Bonneville SSE from that era.

Had the car been taken care of I know I wouldn't have got it for $200, but at the same time I'd like to smack someone for trashing it so much.

So far the craziest thing is that the starter's outside casing has a crack in it. I've never seen anything like it, my best guess it that when the starter was dying they kept cranking it until it over heated? I'm going to try to get a new starter in it on Friday.

Had the car been taken care of I know I wouldn't have got it for $200, but at the same time I'd like to smack someone for trashing it so much.

So far the craziest thing is that the starter's outside casing has a crack in it. I've never seen anything like it, my best guess it that when the starter was dying they kept cranking it until it over heated? I'm going to try to get a new starter in it on Friday.

If the starter's case is cracked, you probably have a shimming problem. Double check the clearance between the pinion and the flywheel teeth.

Harmonic balancer is supposedly a bear on some H-bodies. There where threads on the Bonneville forums. Apparently, its hard to get to, and the standard puller will not work. You have to track down some particular length bolts with a particular thread. Anything else will break and cause disaster.

Still, $200 cars are my favorites. My '86 Electra Estate Wagon was $200 back in 1995. Put a lot of miles on it. My '81 Bonne coupe also was $200... just needed a bumper and some interior parts... but it only lasted about two years before the problems crept in enough to park it until it could get the proper attention.

Its getting hard to find $200 cars, running or not, with the price of steel lately. Most are worth double that or more at the shredder... unfortunately.

Edited by SAmadei

• 4 weeks later...

Update #2:

After replacing the starter, I decided the rest of the major repairs (harmonic balancer, power windows, etc) were a little over my head......well actually a lot over my head.... so I had the car towed to a local repair shop. They replaced the harmonic balancer, fixed the power windows, and are currently welding up the exhaust (broken hangers) putting the door panels back together, and replacing the front tires. I just picked up the insurance card today and should have it home early next week.

After all the troubles with the Aurora, its nice to pick up the phone and have the mechanic say "She runs smooth" and "engine sounds real strong".

First was/is to get all of the mechanicals in good order, and thats going to be the main thing for the time being.

I'd like to get the headliner repaired and a few other things inside as well as figure out something with the hood/roof/trunk lid. If this car proves to be 1/2 the car my Delta was, I'll be looking into getting some paint work done.

I bought this car with the intention of replacing my Aurora quickly and cheaply, so I'd call the goal a presentable daily driver.

Not trying to save the Aurora?

No, I've given up on it totally. I've put $3700 into the Aurora in repairs in the last 2 years, I've had to take it to GM dealerships because no one else wants to work on it. I've written GM and spoke to them on the phone for 45 minutes about the car, they don't care. To day the issues have been: transmission, leaking sun roof, leaking trunk, stalling, highway vibrations, steering column clunk (steering shaft), over heating, crazy climate control, wipers that don't work when it rains, and various electrical gremlins. I called GM because the transmission screwed up again 6 days after the guarantee expired. The work had been done by their dealer, but I was told that there was nothing they could do because the transmission isn't a safety issue. I then asked about the wipers, he said they would get back to me via email....that was in October.

I'm tired of going to the dealership for everything. I'm tired of knowing that there is always another repair waiting (it still need tie rod ends ($404) and air shocks....and tires.....and of course the transmission is a nightmare.

Now that I have vented.... in a nutshell....no I'm done trying to save it.

No, I've given up on it totally. I've put $3700 into the Aurora in repairs in the last 2 years, I've had to take it to GM dealerships because no one else wants to work on it. I've written GM and spoke to them on the phone for 45 minutes about the car, they don't care. To day the issues have been: transmission, leaking sun roof, leaking trunk, stalling, highway vibrations, steering column clunk (steering shaft), over heating, crazy climate control, wipers that don't work when it rains, and various electrical gremlins. I called GM because the transmission screwed up again 6 days after the guarantee expired. The work had been done by their dealer, but I was told that there was nothing they could do because the transmission isn't a safety issue. I then asked about the wipers, he said they would get back to me via email....that was in October.

I'm tired of going to the dealership for everything. I'm tired of knowing that there is always another repair waiting (it still need tie rod ends ($404) and air shocks....and tires.....and of course the transmission is a nightmare.

Now that I have vented.... in a nutshell....no I'm done trying to save it.

Good point. You could rebuild the new for that price....

Update: I've got two issues right now with the 98:

1. The master cylinder is leaking badly.

2. Sometimes when I come to a stop or when I let the car idle it shakes and seems like its going to stall (but it doesn't).

I've experienced #2 in my sister's old Mercedes..don't know what causes it, but at idle the engine often races up to 4000rpm or more and the car shakes violently..settles down after a couple minutes. With 180k+ miles, who knows what it is...

2. Sometimes when I come to a stop or when I let the car idle it shakes and seems like its going to stall (but it doesn't).

I was reading about the Aurora and I thought that was sad... My first Ninety Eight was like that...

I understand your frustration...

As for the 98:

The master cylinder can be fixed and replaced.

The other thing... something needs cleaning and is clogged...

1. Where is the leak coming from? I assume it's coming from the back of the master cylinder. If so, replace it and bleed the brakes. No big deal.

2. Hmmm ... the engine electronic systems on '80s model cars are a dark area for me; I only know one thing concerning them and that's the process on how to remove them (well if it's a carbureted '80s car with '80s CCC junk). I want to say it could be a bad EGR valve, but please don't quote me on that.

Edited by whiteknight

I think a good tune up is in order for the 98. Out side of that, the engine is very strong and the transmission is very smooth.

As far as the brakes, it leaking from the side of the cylinder. I was driving when the brake light came on (the abs light has been on) and the brakes started to gradually loose their strength. I then noticed smoke from the engine and found that power brake fluid was leaking out. I'm going to call the mechanic in the morning and make an appointment.

At least I have the Aurora to drive for a little (how ironic :-D).