I Am An Olds Fan

Olds had some ((GREAT)) cars over the years. Just imagion a 2008 ZETA RWD DOD 500HP LS7 powered 98 with a 125IN weelbase and 215IN length. The return of the TRUE AMERICAN SEDAN that would KILL the 300C!! :o YAH THATS RIGHT I SAID KILL--MURDER--TRAMPEL--HUMILIATE!!!---The MEANIST OLDS EVER!!! ;)---But ((NO!)) :angry: Becouse GM KILLED OLDS!!!! :angry: Edited by Carguy

I have said it before, but I think GM could bring back a reardrive Oldsmobile and sell it as a single line with only V8 engines, 2 door hardtop coupe, 4 door sedan and convertible. And make them really special, so sexy, no stripper models. Call them Oldsmobile Rockets. It would not be impossible. I tell you here and now, they would sell like hotcakes.

'57 Olds 98:

Posted Image

Any future Oldses would have been badge jobs, anyway. The Zeta proposal would be like the Chevy 'Zeta' with an Olds badge, so?

[post="888"][/post]

Da, bullshit, Olds was one of the only brands in GM's lineup that had originallity and its own identity of a few cars at the time of cancellation. Chevy was struggling with lame cars and crying like a baby to get the BOP SC3800 engine in its Impala and Monty to add some excitement into the lineup.

Posted Image Edited by razoredge

Exactly, it is not as difficult as people think to bring back this nameplate.

[post="930"][/post]

The 'exactly' refers to an earlier post, not the one above. Just for the record. And just because it's summer and I love Oldsmobiles here is some convertible eye candy:

Posted Image Edited by HarleyEarl

I love that '55 98 and that ad. It says everything is right with the world. So much is written about the Chevys and Pontiacs of the era but the Oldsmobiles are wonderful. One day I want one of these '55 98 convertibles in my garage.

I'm crazy about the 57s as well.

Posted Image

Hey Harley, I guess my good friend just bought a 55 88, I havent seen it yet but I will next weekend. Its an origional owner car in unrestored condition. Ill let you all know what its like after I see it. that 57 98 sure is a beaut, I love the color and the two tone makes it even nicer.

He'll be showing it at Lake George Sept 9-11. I think its a decent shape but not perfect driver origional. He has always been a Chevy man but I am sure glad to see him expanding his tastes in the right direction. He also has a 72 0r 3 Cutlass S hes working on from time to time. We both had a strong Oldsmobile influence years ago. We learned body work from non other than Joseph Merli the former curved dash Olds restorer and man that made the trip to the steps of the Capitol in a 1904 to commemorate the origional trip. Anyhow last I saw Joe he was hand making parts to duplicate the 1898 electric Oldsmobile amounst other things. Quite a guy, a trip to his shop is a trip back in time.

I remember back in the 70's when looking for my first car some consumer guide listed the Cutlass as the best used car buy. I did not get one but I always remembered that. It was when I was looking for a old car that I found the 75 Delta 88 Royale convertable and relized what the Oldsmobile thing was all about. I also got a good feel for Buick at that same time as I was also looking at a 68 Riviera. When I inherited my Grandfathers 82 NewYorker in 96 and first drove it I realized what the Chrysler thing had been all about, when you sit in that car and drive the world goes away. Since that first day I have been a serious fanatic of the Luxury car. Buick Oldsmobile and Chrysler being my favorites Mercedes being my least ;-)

We've been an Olds family and my dad still owns a '92 Eighty Eight Regency.

Our past Oldsmobiles
1985 Cutlass Ciera
1986 Cutlass Supreme
1992 Eighty Eight Regency

My dad also almost bought a 1969 442, but he bought a '78 Corvette 25th Anniversary instead. The 442 would have been worth much more today.

Very similar to my dad's old Cutlass Supreme
Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, my name is Mike and I love Oldsmobiles. :P I'm on my third now. Selling #2 and trying to get #3 roadworthy. #1 - '89 Cutlass Supreme (okay, a lemon but I liked it anyway) #2 - '02 Alero GLS (selling it to make way for the new wagon) #3 - '91 Custom Cruiser (under reconstructive surgery) GM1, I LOVE that sig pic. Some history? Mike

I'm a huge Pontiac fan, but if I couldn't be for some reason, I'd be an Olds man. A good family friend bought, brand new, a 1987 Cutlass Supreme, very much like the one in mustang84's post above. I was absolutely in *LUST* with that car! Just gorgeous from every angle, very possibly even better looking than that era's Grand Prix- and I happen to *love* those GPs. One of the classiest cars in GM's recent history IMHO. In the 90s I liked the Calais and Cutlass coupes, esp. the convertible. And the mighty Hurst Olds from 83 and 84, I can't remember which was black and which was silver. It may not have been truly *fast*, but it was cooler than hell. And the big 88s and 98s from the 90s, esp. the SC'd ones. Sweet. Several Olds in my family history, now that I think about it. One of the first cars my parents had after coming to this country in 1971 was an Olds Delmont 88. And my brother's been holding on to his 70 Cutlass S for over 20 years now- he'll restore it one of these days. :rolleyes: Our dad even got hold of a 2nd 70 Cutlass, red w/ black vinyl top, and kept that for a few months. If I'd had my license at that time I might in fact be an Olds guy right now! :rolleyes: :P My favorite Olds of all time: our 76 Custom Cruiser Aircraft Carrier- I mean, wagon. The perfect car for our family of 4 kids- so big inside that while on car trips we had to exchange insults and teases thru the Post Office. :blink: The disappearing tailgate and backlight were just the cat's pajamas. Such a beautiful vehicle. It was only a year old when we got it, and my dad surprised us by bringing it home one night, telling us he was borrowing it from a friend and customer- then my brother found the sale papers in the glovebox while we oohed and ahhed over it. :omfg:

Oldsmobile became one of my favorite brands when the shovel-nosed '81 Cutlass Supreme was introduced. It was sad to see the lineup fade by the '90's, but the resurgence that began with the '95 Aurora rekindled my fondness for the brand, and that reached a zenith when the '01 Aurora came out. My misadventure with the Aurora I bought on eBay last year didn't sour me on the brand. I continue to find the final Oldsmobiles to be some of the most attractive vehicles around. And I still foolishly look at Auroras on eBay, with this one now catching my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsmobile-...sspagenameZWDVW

I put in a bid earlier, but I think I'm going to try to resist now.

Da, bullshit, Olds was one of the only brands in GM's lineup that had originallity and its own identity of a few cars at the time of cancellation. Chevy was struggling with lame cars and crying like a baby to get the BOP SC3800 engine in its Impala and Monty to add some excitement into the lineup.

[post="1182"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And we all know what whiny little Chevy wants, Chevy gets....at the expense of every other division....

I wouldn't commit the blasphemy of calling the 3.8 a BOP engine....that's all Buick, all the time. Definitely no 455.

• 3 weeks later...

I have said it before, but I think GM could bring back a reardrive Oldsmobile and sell it as a single line with only V8 engines, 2 door hardtop coupe, 4 door sedan and convertible.  And make them really special, so sexy, no stripper models.  Call them Oldsmobile Rockets.  It would not be impossible. I tell you here and now, they would sell like hotcakes.

'57 Olds 98:

Posted Image

[post="208"][/post]

Or sell one convertable, but make it VERY special and VERY sexy. Sell them at Buick or Cadillac dealers. Also, make a limited number of them per year, but enough for GM to make some cash. DON'T FLOOD THE MARKET!

Harley - I got to see on of those 57's face to face this past weekend, they really are stunning, that car alone almost made it worth the trip. But then there was this perfect Black 71? 442. Or the 54? Pontiac Eight or the 53? Super Convertable, Shaved and lowered 65 Riviera in brilliant burnt orange, 70 or 71 perfect blue Z28. Then there was the usual thousands of Chevelles, 55-57 Chevys, 30's Fords, bla, bla, bla

Mustang:

That Cutlass has Mass plates. :)

My first car was supposed to be a '85 Cutlass Supreme coupe just like that. Blue on blue on blue. (sky blue & navy blue two tone and a blue interior) My dad junked it without telling me cause the 3800 was runnig rough. :angry:

And now some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love vintage photos. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I thought you'd appreciate it. :)

Here's more random eye candy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oldsmobile has been in my family for a long time too. It goes back further, but these are the Olds' I remember:

1959 Dynamic Convertible in red (my grandmothers)
1969 Cutlass Supreme 442 Convertible in green (dads)
1972 Cutlass Supreme 442 w30 Convertible in gold (dads)
1975 Delta 88 in white (grandmother)
1976 Cutlass Salon in white (dads)
1982 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe in copper (grandmother)
1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe in blue (grandmother then later mine)
1987 Cutlass Calais coupe (mom)
1999 Intrigue GLS in green (dad)

And here is a pic of my dads 72 442 w30 - he's had it since it was new!

Posted Image

*beams*

Sure love these pics of these old Oldsmobiles ;).

1980Olds,

Did you, by chance, get any pics of those 2 Oldsmobiles together? Also...what is, if you don't mind saying, underneath the covering behind the '86 Olds Cutlass?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

• 2 weeks later...