OK, now I'm getting nervous

Camino LS6

I think he means a ROPOS... Rusty Old Piece Of S... Or could be Really Old Piece Of S...

The equivalent in AZ if a FOPOS...Faded/Oxidized Old POS (since cars generally don't rust here).

Or a 'hooptie' in urban vernacular.

Camino...if you can't register it in PA...you may very well be able to use my address and get Ohio tags for it. I'd ahve to check into it...but...no inspections here.

Reminds me of a friend who lived in California for 20 years with Ohio tags. One day the Cali State Patrol rolled up on him and asked him when he was going back to Ohio. He relied "I'm leaving this godforsaken piece of $h! state as soon as I can, Sir...."

Officer was speechless and let him go.

Chris

Camino...if you can't register it in PA...you may very well be able to use my address and get Ohio tags for it. I'd ahve to check into it...but...no inspections here.

Reminds me of a friend who lived in California for 20 years with Ohio tags. One day the Cali State Patrol rolled up on him and asked him when he was going back to Ohio. He relied "I'm leaving this godforsaken piece of $h! state as soon as I can, Sir...."

Chris

Heh-heh. I lived in Michigan for 3 years w/ 2 cars w/ Ohio plates and an Ohio driver's license, then a year in Colorado that way.

Chris

That's a great story!

I'm not going to sweat the inspection thing. If the truck can't be made to pass at a reasonable cost, I'll just take it off the road and use it on the property.

I have no desire to daily drive this thing.

I just read an article yesterday about states w/ mandatory vehicle 'safety' inspections..only 19 states do it. I don't recall ever having to do one, but I've only had cars registered in Oh, Co, and Az, though I've lived in 7 states since I got my license. But in CO and AZ I've done emissions checks every two years.

That's a great story!

I'm not going to sweat the inspection thing. If the truck can't be made to pass at a reasonable cost, I'll just take it off the road and use it on the property.

I have no desire to daily drive this thing.

Also, I doubt any cop is going to want to pull you over in crappy weather to hassle you... you're only driving it in crappy weather, so... And even so, in poor visibility, some of those inspection stickers are really hard to see.

We need a whole thread on what to do with this beast...but here is a good start.

1. All nec equipt. to be a good plow truck...

2. Mechanical stuff fixed as needed...

3. mexican blanket for seat cover

4. Very mild (2" or 4" maybe) suspension lift

5. Rancho or similar shocks

6. Olive drab paint job

7. Winch for the front, removable for when you plow...just because

8. "NO FAT CHICKS TRUCK WILL SCRAPE" Decal for the rear window, just because. (Kidding on this one!)

9 Larger set of wheels and tires...nothing flashy on the rims.

That truck would look great as a low cost "beater" with attitude. Truck runs around down near where I work, is old Dodge from the 1970's done that way....that just has "the look."

That's true.

But the truck has no inspection sticker at all.

Ah, in NJ inspection sticker debauchery is a fine art.

No inspection sticker? This years sticker is green and white? Put a box of Marlboro Menthols in the window.

NJ gives out temporary pink cards... One puts this into the window ONLY WHEN DRIVING. Take it out and put it on the visor, out of the sunlight when not driving to keep it from fading. I have friends that have gone with one pink card for years.

Probably a similar PA hack. ;-)

She's really THAT rusty?

Chris

Yes and no.

It would take a MAJOR investment to get rid of the rust (one fender,two bedsides,cab corners, hood, and repair to the doors).

Not to mention that the entire undercarriage has heavy surface rust - it just isn't worth it to me.

This truck will remain a beater as long as I have it.

By all means, it could be brought back - I just don't want to be the one to do it.

In this case, I see it as an issue of "critical mass" - the truck is marginal on too many fronts for me to attack them all.

That would lead to a full resto, and I don't need any more of those at the moment.

I may be judging it a bit harshly, but my intentions for it are simple - it just needs to be able to get the snow off of the driveway.

If inspection doesn't cost too much, I'll do it once. After that, I really don't care.

New territory for me regarding a vehicle I own.

I've just developed an allergy to rust repairs over the years...

You're gonna need a Pennsylvania allergy shot then...it's sort of a disease there. Well, then again, not nearly as much Southeast as, uh, EVERY other area...

Thanksgiving chat with my grandfather about how grandma's GARAGED '99 Intrigue had the gas tank filler tube rust badly & start leaking/throwing codes... :blink: ...I was thankful we moved & afraid to even turn my G8 on, in fear of getting PA dust in it somewhere...

One way or the other, the dually story will come to an end tomorrow.

As for the ROPOS, it takes a good pic - but it is rougher than it looks.

ROPOS...we have one of those...or as I call it, the Flinstone mobile...literally...it is...pretty obvious reason :AH-HA:

Still hope you can get the sexy dually tho! In the photo that 3/4 ton looks pretty darn good I think.

It's a 1 ton :thumbsup:

It does look great from the pics. The gloss black would show up every imperfection even in a poor quality photo. From what I can see it looks clean and straight. I wouldn't expect anything less from anyone in the Hamptons. They take care of their stuff, or pay to have someone take care of it for them.

Okay, new rule (assuming it's allowed) - copy and paste Craiglist pictures in these threads for those of us that view C&G while at work and can't have access to craigslist :lol:

3na3m43p45O75U35R99cabccbac8f9f0c1af2.jpg

That '88 Silverado Regular Cab Dually is awesome! I've always loved the Sierra & Silverado Regular Cab Dually's from '85-'88. I'd really like that truck more if it was a GMC, but I know it doesn't matter to you. If you buy it and take care of it over the years, when you go to sell it I will play the lottery to buy it from you. Good luck with the trip, and can't wait to read your follow-up on it.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

PA is nothing compared to say, Ohio.

or New York.

or New England.

or even Jersey (especially near the shore).

I know...but as bad as it is to me, that only shows how much worse those other places are. Like afraid to ever buy a car from them, bad. Yiper diapers.

I think he was talking about my ROPOS, Z.

But yeah, to the rest of your post.

Good thing I'm tired (lots of driving today), I'll need to get some sleep for tomorrow's adventure.

Can't wait!

I was. Can't wait to find out how it went. Anything with a 454 and Turbo 400 kick's ass in my book.