Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Interiors- Before and After

MyerShift

...decent-looking.  In person, all the GM interiors with the exception of the new GMT-900s, SAAB Epsilons, Cadillac XLR and maybe one other vehicle/program all suffer from the same shortcoming: hard, poorly-grained plastic all over the dash.  Even the Lucerne has this (yes, O.C. you were indeed right; my apologies).

The brands with the best interiors across the board were: Acura, AUDI, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Mercedes-Benz and Mazda (excluding all custom and super-luxury marques).

Honorable mentions to specific vehicles/programs NOT included in these brands:

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr

Ford Five Hundred

Mercury Montego

Cadillac XLR

Subaru B9 Tribeca

VW Tourag

VW Phaeton

The above list is the result of hands-on impressions at LAIAS and the Indianapolis auto shows.

Croc.....that's right.....'cause I couldn't go on Friday, we didn't get to "hash it out...!"

:lol:

My opinion on recent GM interiors, is that they are starting to get the look, style, ergonomics, and panel fit to compare very favorably with many of the imports. But in the same vein....they seemed to really be cost-cutting on the materials.....setting them back a decade when they've come so far in other areas.

Check out Cobalt versus the last Cavalier (yes....really.) The Cobalt has a MUCH more import-oriented design.....with an attractive gauge cluster and overall dashboard design. HOWEVER, the poorly-grained, hard, brittle plastics covering all the dash, center stack, console, and door panels is even cheaper than some of the stuff that used to be in the Cavalier!!! If you get a chance, take a look or feel of the dash top pad that GM used to put in the Cav....it was soft (!) and nicely-grained! Now the REST of the Cav interior was junk.....but SOME of the materials actually seemed better than what's in Cobalt today.

The same argument can be used on the current STS versus the old Seville. Nicer, more Lexus-oriented design let down by significantly cheaper interior materials compared to the last-generation SLS/STS.

Likewise, Lucerne will NEVER be compared to Lexus in the same breath with all that hard, brittle plastic adorning it's dash and console.

I guess it's just the modernity of GM's newer interiors (on most models) that attracts me.

I liked the dash from my Buick Skyhawk. Everything was laid out in a logical manner, and, amazingly, the dash top was padded! In the 1980's, I feel that the Skyhawk had the best J-body interior. Then again, it could just be a bias  :P .

You are right....I owned an '89 Coupe with the 5-speed, hidden headlights, and the "shelby" aluminum wheels and "T" package.

The dash was really nice....with a GREAT gauge cluster. The dash top was almost luxurious with it's leather-like texture.....but they did manage to warp quite badly with age.....

I did click the link, and it said nothing like your post.

Even if you only go by the Latin-Greek stems you can figure out the meaning has everything to do with one color...mono=one/singular, chom=color and atic is just how English forms adjectives. :rolleyes:

how deep......like a mudpuddle

"ah gee Fred, is that like monotone then ?"

"ah I dont know Barney, lets go ask croc"

once again

Monochrome- dull, boring, lacking contrast and character

B)

how deep......like a mudpuddle

once again

Monochrome- dull, boring, lacking contrast and character

B)

Where exactly are you getting this specific definition that monochromatic? I've never heard of it having connotations of dullness before.

I like the older soft materials used on first gen FWD H compared to whats on our 97 LSS, but the LSS is more modern styled. Still its harder materials, we just got a first split in material below drivers door pull. I believe that material is too stiff and not as resilient as it should be, very thin too. I was bummed about the hard surface of the console arm rest too, I thought that was strange, but once again nothing is going to outdo the velour for endurance and soft, quite comfort, but everyone hates it today because it reminds them of Mom and Dads car and we all know you cant have that. :rolleyes:

I wonder who GM's interior suppliers are ? Or is that inhouse ? Leer did some stuff right ?

You can go into a crafts store and find better materials than used in autos.

Croc.....that's right.....'cause I couldn't go on Friday, we didn't get to "hash it out...!"

:lol:

My opinion on recent GM interiors, is that they are starting to get the look, style, ergonomics, and panel fit to compare very favorably with many of the imports.  But in the same vein....they seemed to really be cost-cutting on the materials.....setting them back a decade when they've come so far in other areas.

Check out Cobalt versus the last Cavalier (yes....really.)  The Cobalt has a MUCH more import-oriented design.....with an attractive gauge cluster and overall dashboard design.  HOWEVER, the poorly-grained, hard, brittle plastics covering all the dash, center stack, console, and door panels is even cheaper than some of the stuff that used to be in the Cavalier!!!  If you get a chance, take a look or feel of the dash top pad that GM used to put in the Cav....it was soft (!) and nicely-grained!  Now the REST of the Cav interior was junk.....but SOME of the materials actually seemed better than what's in Cobalt today.

The same argument can be used on the current STS versus the old Seville.  Nicer, more Lexus-oriented design let down by significantly cheaper interior materials compared to the last-generation SLS/STS.

Likewise, Lucerne will NEVER be compared to Lexus in the same breath with all that hard, brittle plastic adorning it's dash and console.

I have to agree with you on these points OC. Especially disappointing to me is that that same hard dash material can be found in everything GM does new---except the new Escalade, which had soft touch materials, easily the best GM interior, along with the Sport Combi I sat in. It's really disappointing feeling that material in the Lucerne, somewhere it has no business being in. Impala, Lucerne, Cobalt, HHR, Tahoe all have it. Needless to say, this discovery was really disappointing.

I am really liking more and more, the combination metal and wood interiors.....beautiful!

Here is the XLR...gorgeous. It's how the STS and other Caddies should be done. Cadillac needs to glam up it's interiors....American glamour, baby...that's the ticket.

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

You are right....I owned an '89 Coupe with the 5-speed, hidden headlights, and the "shelby" aluminum wheels and "T" package.

The dash was really nice....with a GREAT gauge cluster.  The dash top was almost luxurious with it's leather-like texture.....but they did manage to warp quite badly with age.....

Yeah! The top of the dash was soft and pliable, but it was warping up and away from the bottom portion of the instrument panel. My car had the hidden headlamps too, so cool! However, everything else was basic. A speedometer, fuel gauge, no power steering, no power windows or locks, no a/c. The only ting it had on it was speed control.

You know what else? The 4-speed manual felt great to me. Well defined gates, never missed a shift.

Modern sticks that I've driven (in similar small four-cylinder cars) have all felt rubbery and imprecise. This applies to a Honda Civic LX (2001), a Chevrolet Cobalt (2005), and a Dodge Neon SXT (2002).

I want my Skyhawk back!!

LMAO. You guys crack me up.

I agree with Empowah, though. 'Twas the real deal, however, it would look nicer, I think. The XLR interior is awesome. There is nothing better than the nice mixture of leather, wood and metal with a dash of design. I'm not just talking about cars, either, just design in general.

I am really liking more and more, the combination metal and wood interiors.....beautiful!

Here is the XLR...gorgeous. It's how the STS and other Caddies should be done.  Cadillac needs to glam up it's interiors....American glamour, baby...that's the ticket.

Posted Image

Agreed. I've heard other people say it needed a more upscale wood, but I personally love the Eucalyptus treatment of the XLR, expecially with the beige interior. It gives it a cool modern feng shui vibe.

In general I prefer darker woods, but this applies to all colours for me in general. I generally dislike pale colours. Too many stains show, seems wimpy to me. I like dark, ebony like tones in my automobile interiors.