Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 Chevrolet Orlando [Spied again]

19 posts in this topic

2012 Chevrolet Orlando [spied again]

12/11/2009, 4:32 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

Our spy photographers have just spotted Chevrolet’s Orlando MPV while out for some shakedown testing. The Orlando concept made its world debut at the 2008 Paris Motor Show before making a surprise appearance at the 2009 Detroit show. It is believed the Orlando could replace the HHR in Chevrolet’s lineup.

Based on the same Delta platform as the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, the Orlando will be motivated by a range of gas and diesel powerplants, displacing between 1.6L and 2.0L. The Orlando’s top engine offering will be a 2.0L diesel unit, putting out 150 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. Original reports suggest the production Orlando would employ five-speed transmissions, be we fully expect to see six-speed units in manual and automatic configurations.

Although the Orlando will initially be offered exclusively with front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive model will join the lineup later on.

With a 2,760 mm wheelbase (108.7 inches), the Orlando can accommodate up to three rows of seats, but the U.S. version will likely be a five-seater. The interior appears to be quite similar to the Cruze’s interior, with a waterfall center stack and switchgear out of GM’s current models.

Look for the Chevrolet Orlando to surface in U.S. showrooms in 2012.

link with photos:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-orlando.html

I am not inspired by the drivetrain. I would like to see a more powerful engine offered as an option. If it has AWD it will need more power.

But it is good to see they may finally offer a Diesel power plant.

I don't see a 5 speed in this at all with GM putting six speeds in everything else.

For one thing I hope they can gain new buyers for this as they will lose many HHR buyers. The response on the HHR site to the Orlando has not been good. It is not that the Olando will be a bad vehicle it is just not seen as a replacment for something that was completely different than every other family truckster and SUV out there.

Edited by hyperv6

I do not detect near as much sweetness in this thing as I do in the HHR. It should be a perfectly useful vehicle, but will it elicit an emotional connection as the HHR has done? Doubtful. And GM needs emotional products that also happen to be smart.

I do not detect near as much sweetness in this thing as I do in the HHR. It should be a perfectly useful vehicle, but will it elicit an emotional connection as the HHR has done? Doubtful. And GM needs emotional products that also happen to be smart.

Spot on!

The people who buy this kind of car generally are appliance buyers. The HHR was more of a vehicle that made it's buyers feel special. THey feel like they stand out for better or worse.

The is a mixed blessing with styling that blends in. The HHR while it is a polarizing design sales have shown it to be good enough to nearly average 100,000 units per year. Not bad in the market we are in. Also GM made money on this one since most of it was just a rehashed Cobalt.

This is an international model, like the Cruze, so the styling is more sedate than the HHR.

This is an international model, like the Cruze, so the styling is more sedate than the HHR.

That is clear and fine but it still looks like most people movers on the road today. That alone will not help it replace the HHR sales nor make it stand out. Chevy needed to do something different than the present HHR but it still needed to be different than what else is out there. This thing is as fun looking as a refrigerator.

I was still a fan of this.

hhr3.jpg

I know this was HHR based but I would have like to see a more interesting design grown from this idea.

I will be shocked if this sells in the 100,000 units per year without heavy fleet sales or high gas prices. For just a little more you can get a Nox with more room and not much less MPG. Lets face it the third row in this will be used as much as a extended cab seat in a S-10 was. This is more a car for Europe than US. They love these there but here it will be as popular as a Dodge Caliper. Dodge still wishes it has gone with a updated Neon inhindsight.

Don't look now, but your egos are showing!

IMO the Orlando is a far,far better looking vehicle than the HHR!

If you want, old-fashioned & different, go buy an Edsel!

I hope it does well for them. Having said that I fall into the I don't care category. This vehicle is not for me. I would rather have a CUV or Grand Caravan before this.

Assuming the exterior of the show-car I'm not really repelled, but if the interior doesn't look that great in all black. I was hoping for more two-tone/colour.

There is noting wrong in general with the Orlando per say. It is not ugly and the interior is much better.

The issue is it is just like many other vehicles on the market. Also it is not much cheaper than the Nox and much roomier Vehicle. The Nox lacks the third row but who really sits back there in a SUV that small outside France?

I did not buy my HHR for the styling. I could give or take on it. As for stone chips it is horrible. In the summer time you hit bugs on the side of the hood LOL!

I bought it for the mileage, hauling and the Turbo engine. Untill I drove it I really did not even condiser one. The fact was I wanted someting fun to drive that could replace my aging Sonoma and I hated the Colorado.

But with that said the HHR has been one of GM's besat sellers since intro. Many of the people bought it for the styling and that it was the anti minivan for the most. On the HHR web sites the Orlando has spured many into wanting to buy an 2011-12 HHR before they are done. Mostr feel if that if they have to buy a Orlando thy vehicle they will have manu other options than just a Chevy.

I have also noted many of the HHR buyers were not traditional Chevy buyers either. The fact it was different brought in a good deal of conquest sales.

All I feel is Gm will have to bring in new buyers if they expect it to sell over 100,000 units in the states as they will not all be coming from the present buyers of the vehicle it replaces. They may do that but it is a risk. At least it will sell world wide to take up some of the burden.

The Electric version should help and would be a smart move since no one really offers a good electric car that has as much utility. With Volt right now looking so good in test drives this version should do as good or better than the car.

Like it or not the HHR has been a home run in sales for GM at a time they could not sell many other models even close to their volume. It also has been profitable. Being different was the key to it. I don't care if it is retro or what but the fact is it has put a lot of butts behind the wheel that would have be seen in a small Mazda hauler or Caravan.

It would be a cold day before I would ever own a Caravan. Either way once the HHR is used up it will not be replaced with the Orlando. Maybe by then there will be a better small pick up out again.

Edited by hyperv6

Did GM officially say that the Orlando was a replacement for HHR or is it just the media speculating? If the HHR is in fact biting the dust, I think a the upcoming GMC boxy compact vehicle aimed at the Scion xB and the Kia Soul should be able to bring in some current HHR customers.

It was previewed to the press and we caught a glimpse of it in the GM commercial from a few months back that had Whitacre walking through the design center.

Here's mention of it for those who have forgotten about it.

Motor Trend article

Edited by Cadillacfan

Did GM officially say that the Orlando was a replacement for HHR or is it just the media speculating? If the HHR is in fact biting the dust, I think a the upcoming GMC boxy compact vehicle aimed at the Scion xB and the Kia Soul should be able to bring in some current HHR customers.

It was previewed to the press and we caught a glimpse of it in the GM commercial from a few months back that had Whitacre walking through the design center.

Here's mention of it for those who have forgotten about it.

Motor Trend article

No real word on the street about the GMC. All we know right not is the Orlando arrives about the same time the HHR leaves.

The GMC would help if it is right. I know the Kia soul is popular with some of the HHR people but they want more room and less hamsters.

At this point I would say it is not on but with GM anymore never count anything out. Many of these new projects will not be anounced till late into the deal. GM is no longer telegraphing their moves 5 years ahead.

"At this point I would say it is not on but with GM anymore never count anything out. Many of these new projects will not be anounced till late into the deal. GM is no longer telegraphing their moves 5 years ahead."

And it's about time , as much as I like to know whats going on GM doesn't need to telegraph their every move to the competition.;-)

Edited by 67impss

And it's about time , as much as I like to know whats going on GM doesn't need to telegraph their every move to the competition.;-)

Good... one downside to the modern world and the Internet is there are no real new car surprises anymore..with blogging from many sources, there are always sneak peeks, rumors, etc well before new models make their official debuts....

"At this point I would say it is not on but with GM anymore never count anything out. Many of these new projects will not be anounced till late into the deal. GM is no longer telegraphing their moves 5 years ahead."

GM only was doing it to keep the stock prices up. For right now that is not as much as an issue and things are back to the way it used to be. Also in the last 6 month things have been changing so fast. One of my well placed buddies did not know who he reported to for a while with the musical seat they were playing.

I also saw the confusion first hand in September with the Camaro managment team. One of them was to the point that he did not know how to answer a question as he did not know what GM's stand was that day.

It looks like it could be a minivan competitor.

More of a Mini MiniVan.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0