Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's Mark Reuss Talks About Priorities, RWD And Hints At Z28

15 posts in this topic

GM's Mark Reuss Talks About Priorities, RWD And Hints At Z28

By Nelson Ireson

Author

December 11th, 2009

With the ongoing executive shakeup at General Motors, it's all the more important for the new executives to get their message out and their priorities straight. Today, new GM North America president Mark Reuss hosted a live webchat to share his outlook on the job he just took on.

The first thing he addressed was rear-wheel-drive cars, and his ongoing desire to see them built here. He did place the caveat on the subject that any future rear-drive implementations would have to be lightweight and efficient to see production, however. Later in the discussion, he revealed his plans to build a Pontiac Solstice with the Z0K kit for SCCA autocross as a project with his son. That's a mark of a true enthusiast, and it's a welcome insight into the man now at the head of GM's North American operations. Despite his enthusiasm for Pontiacs, however, Reuss said in response to a question that there's no chance for a reversal on Pontiac's retirement.

Seeded in amongst some comments on the Volt and the launch of the Cruze, Reuss also said, "I also like Z28's." That little nugget slipped through the webchat, but it immediately grabbed our attention. The Chevrolet Camaro Z28 has been rumored to be ready for production, lacking only the green light, and with Ruess on board, it could yet become a reality. We're not going to hold our breath, however, as that's a lot of hope to stake on an offhand remark in a webchat with consumers.

A Z28 Camaro would likely feature a variant of the Cadillac CTS-V’s supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8 under the hood, complete with six-speed manual (or optional automatic) and 556 horsepower output. In the 4,300-pound CTS-V, this combination is good for a 0-60 mph sprint of just 4.1 seconds and a 12.3-second quarter mile time. Factor in the Camaro’s 200-300 pound lighter weight and the Z28 could hit 60 mph in less than four seconds and clear the quarter in the very low 12s. Impressive, to be sure.

The Cruze comment was interesting as well, as Reuss insinuated that the two models of Cruze already launched in Australia--the 1.8-liter four-cylinder and the diesel variant--would both be "really well received" here in the U.S., in addition to the 1.4-liter turbo model announced at its official launch in Los Angeles last week.

A new development on the rear-drive front could come in the form of a Zeta-platform implementation of the 3.0-liter direct-injection V-6 engine soon to be found in the Buick LaCrosse. It was recently introduced in the Zeta platform in Australia, and Reuss says he wants to take the lessons learned there and apply them in North America, saying, "So, I need to get into this here in NA and look at how we did it and bring some of that knowledge into it." Whether that means a 3.0-liter entry-level Camaro or simply a way to efficiently extract the most from the powerplant in future applications isn't clear. Getting the efficiency of the 3.0-liter engine up to offer an advantage over the 3.6-liter unit will be the primary challenge whatever the car it's in.

Other major issues for Reuss will be improving dealer relations, assuring all-around quality, improving efficiency in the mainstream offerings like Malibu and winning new customers to improve sales and therefore the bottom line.

[GM]

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1040004_gms-mark-reuss-talks-about-priorities-rwd-and-hints-at-z28

Again he opens his mouth, again I smile.

This guy is great!

A ZoK Solstice! I'd bet you can count the number of GM execs who even know what one is on one hand.

The Z28 is the worst kept secret in Detroit. Not must to suprise us there.

The Cobat getting a Diesel would not be a suprise with the news that the Orlando may get one too? It would be good to see.

Anything GM offers anywhere in the world is in their tool box. So many things are possible if they feel or see the need.

Not sure about the 3.0 in the Zeta. I think a crash weight loss program would be of more help to the car than anything. Once you get the weight out then look to the smaller engines if still needed.

Edited by hyperv6

Just sell us that Caprice already, but from the internal email that got leaked it looks like a Chevy "SS" is coming for the MY 2012.

Edited by gm4life

Mark Reuss is the best thing to happen to GM enthusiasts in a long time. The light at the end of the tunnel seems to be growing brighter.

I can forgive the sins committed against Pontiac if the remaining GM brands bring elements of sport and/or luxury, quality, and multiple variations of body styles (coupes!!) back to the mainstream. Hopefully the days of bland 4-door GM front drivers with crappy interiors are over.

I'm on the Mark Reuss team. I just hope he has plenty of time to implement his ideas, because I think he can be GMNA's savior.

I'm on the Mark Reuss team. I just hope he has plenty of time to implement his ideas, because I think he can be GMNA's savior.

I just worry that a SS coming in 2012 will not have the needed upgrades to make it a new car to the public vs just an old G8.

I hope there are upgrades planned and they fix some of the things missing on the G8 like NAV other small issues that so many complained about. I just don't want it to come here and look like a rehashed old car that was sold 3-4 years ago.

On the positive the SS will not have to sell in great numbers and nore was the G8 a very common car to the general consumer so that may help a lot.

Either way I trust Mark.

Edited by hyperv6

I do like all these changes but worry about this SS actually seeing the light of day. Not all the little changes, that with MCE will be addressed I bet.

I didn't see you at the team meetings! :smilewide:

with whitacre the axe man (does he use axe?), you get a few weeks.....lol.......

with whitacre the axe man (does he use axe?), you get a few weeks.....lol.......

Hope not. Trust me I would have most everyone axed before him and Lutz.

Edited by gm4life

Hope not. Trust me I would have most everyone axed before him and Lutz.

I saw somewhere some think Lutz is on his way out. I hope there is noting to it.

I would love top see Mark work directly with Bob and replace him once he is willing to leave on his own.

I didn't see you at the team meetings! :smilewide:

I was hiding under the table... :neenerneener:

I was hiding under the table... :neenerneener:

I'd just about sell my soul to sit and listen under a table at some of these GM meeting. Only ones where they talk future product, and mainly RWD of course. :scratchchin:

Like what I'm hearing, still not convinced yet...

I know I need to see on my dealers showroom before I believe.

Edited by gm4life

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0