Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevrolet launches Wi-Fi technology for 7 new models

14 posts in this topic

Chevrolet launches Wi-Fi technology for 7 new models

gallery_51_2_362154.png

Keeping up with the latest in wireless technology, General Motors announced on Monday that seven new Chevy models are now available with Chevrolet Wi-Fi by Autonet Mobile. The dealer-installed Wi-Fi technology is certified to work with new Equinox, Traverse, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche and Express models.

Connecting to the Web via the 3G network, Chevrolet Wi-Fi creates an in-vehicle internet hotspot that also extends up to a 150 feet radius around the vehicle. The system is capable of handling multiple wireless devices and returns speeds up to 1.5 mbps – allowing for streaming video.

Although a helpful feature for long family trips, Chevrolet also expects the Wi-Fi technology to be used for business applications.

"Chevrolet Wi-Fi by Autonet Mobile enhances commuting, family vacations and work," says Chris Rauser, Chevrolet Accessories Manager. "It benefits active families on the go, as well as professionals who need immediate information at remote job sites. Its uses are almost endless."

The system retails for $399, but is available until December 31 for $199 with a two-year contract. Chevrolet Wi-Fi also requires a $29 monthly service fee, plus the price of dealer installation.

link:

GM Media site

Why not just use a 3G iPhone and tether that to a laptop?

Because then you would be on the lousy AT&T network.

Why not just use a 3G iPhone and tether that to a laptop?

complicated, not everyone wants an iPhone (I wouldn't buy one), data plan is cheaper, more than one person can use it.

The monthly cost is 50% cheaper than one of those Sprint or Verizon mobile hotspot do-dads

Depends on what plan is comparable - Verizon has a mobile hotspot device for $50 (or $100 w/out contract) and plans for $40 or $60/mo depending on data transfer. Also, I can't seem to find info on who is providing the 3G service, which is VITAL information in this part of the country.

It sounds like it could be a pretty good deal for the right people, but honestly, for $10 more a month, I'd rather have the device that's portable, and could serve the same purpose in my car or my office or a restaurant, or...

Still, a cool thing to offer, and reasonable for what it is.

This is only the tip of the Iceberg. The things we will see in the next 10 years will be amazing.

As for the Camaro and Aveo you are holding on to dear life too much to surf the web in both for 2 very different reasons.

Edited by hyperv6

complicated, not everyone wants an iPhone (I wouldn't buy one), data plan is cheaper, more than one person can use it.

On top of that, 3G isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It may be fast for mobile devices, but you'll be wanting to throw your laptop out the window of the moving car you're driving in out of frustration.

Didn't they determine that it was bad for your health to be exposed to constant Wi-Fi signals?

Probably no worse than cellphone signals. Sure it's likely not awesome for one's health, but there's way worse things people expose themselves to on a daily basis.

Great feature, but a little costly. A lot of people that would be into this probably already have a smart phone with internet access, and won't want to pay another $30 a month to get it in the car. If the car could be linked up to an existing cell phone on 3G or 4G that would be sweet. But people that already pay for Internet at home and on the cell phone may not want to pay a 3rd time for it in the car. Unless the car's wi-fi works when the car is off and in the garage and people can use it for their home internet.

I wouldn't need it, but I could see the utility for someone that has commuter carpools or takes a lot of trips w/ kids w/ laptops.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0