Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

REPORT: Kia Forte Koup may get brand's first-ever turbo

17 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Kia, Rumormill

fortekoup2010_60_opt.jpg
2010 Kia Forte Koup - Click above for high-res image gallery

As General Motors' Saturn brand ushers its owners toward orphan-make status, at least one company is swooping in to pick at the bones of its carcass. Kia has been doing well lately, unlike nearly everyone else, its sales actually grew this year. The brand has been adding dealers by picking up ex-Saturn stores and looks to continue building market share in the East, as well as in selected large cities on the West Coast. Kia's VP of sales, Tom Loveless tells Automotive News there has been no concerted plan to go after Saturn dealers, they just happen to be in the markets Kia wants to expand into, and that some ex-Hummer and Chrysler dealers have joined, as well.

More interesting than tales of dealer signage changes is what may be coming product-wise. The Soul and Forte have been getting attention, and more new stuff is on the way as the 2011 Sorento drops in January. The Optima and Sportage both get the re-do treatment for 2011, and a hybrid lands in 2012. To counter the geek-chic of battery power, word is the sharp-looking Forte Koup might get an iron lung hung off its engine, making it the brand's first turbocharged car. Loveless seems open to the idea, calling it "a natural extension, if it makes financial sense." Word.

Gallery: Kia Forte Koup

fortekoup2010_02_thumbnail.jpgfortekoup2010_01_thumbnail.jpgfortekoup2010_03_thumbnail.jpgfortekoup2010_04_thumbnail.jpgfortekoup2010_05_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

REPORT: Kia Forte Koup may get brand's first-ever turbo originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=OvnSCaC2yqA:ri7hhASZpH0:wF9xT autoblog?i=OvnSCaC2yqA:ri7hhASZpH0:V_sGL
OvnSCaC2yqA

View the full article

plans liek this will only make kia more appealing to a wider audience, given it's still reliable, and even semi tuned for "brisk driving". things that might even steal from scion's demographic.

True loki but in my mind this is just lipstick on a pig.

It's a good looking car but I'm still leery of the substance beneath the shiny exterior.

The Koup looks terrific for a small car. Easily the best looking compact coupe in the N/A market. According to IL it drives really nice too. Couple that with a 10 year warranty and its hard to go wrong...besides the manual.

I never said it would appeal to us. haha

unless disaster happens to a lot of other cars before then, not likely from Ford, hopefully not GM - based on the last few years.

but if it's competitive it can only push the other companies to fight it with better offerings. :D

The Koup looks terrific for a small car. Easily the best looking compact coupe in the N/A market. According to IL it drives really nice too. Couple that with a 10 year warranty and its hard to go wrong...besides the manual.

A warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I remember hearing when I worked at a dealership that KIA had all sorts of loopholes in their warranties, and used them very regularly.

A warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I remember hearing when I worked at a dealership that KIA had all sorts of loopholes in their warranties, and used them very regularly.

when my cousin worked in a dealership, KIA.. killed in action. hehe

Well, it's like the Cobalt coupe to the Cobalt sedan, really.

i test drove a forte a few months back. it was nice, pleasant. i'm worried about the substance of it and in general it holding up. look at the details. thin sheetmetal, not very big hems on the trunk lid.....good commuter but it won't attract an enthusiast or someone who jut wants something well made. they'll really have to butch it up if they want that sort of cred, even with a turbo.

i'd probably buy one if a gun was put to my head and it was like a 200 dollar payment. but a rental return G6 or even a new one and paying a couple grand more makes more sense.

if you like the forte why even bother, just wait for the Cruze.

i'd prob even get a lancer over this kia. the warranty is better even as well.

Edited by regfootball

Acura should have hired the stylist Kia hired

Kia managed to get the "tuner/stunna" look down fairly well, and a great photographer to bring those qualities out. But this as an Acura would be disastrous. It might fly as a Civic coupe and that's about it.

That being said, I don't hold high hopes for the upcoming sub-TSX Acura (new RSX).

Kia managed to get the "tuner/stunna" look down fairly well, and a great photographer to bring those qualities out. But this as an Acura would be disastrous. It might fly as a Civic coupe and that's about it.

That being said, I don't hold high hopes for the upcoming sub-TSX Acura (new RSX).

Agreed. It's not going to be pretty....

I never said it would appeal to us. haha

unless disaster happens to a lot of other cars before then, not likely from Ford, hopefully not GM - based on the last few years.

but if it's competitive it can only push the other companies to fight it with better offerings. biggrin.gif

Why not from Ford or GM? The new Fusion is hot, the Malibu is a great car with a fantastic interior...I love how the dash is laid out and the guages are really nice. Malibu is a great driver oriented car...

Camaro is HOT

Mustang is HOT

New Taurus is the best looking Ford family car since the 1960's IMHO.

CTS is hot, CTS-V is hotter...

New LaX is a good family car...for a young guy like you...load it up with 3 or 4 of your good friends and it's a comfy reliable cruiser for going to a football game or a concert or whatever you like.

Cobalt SS/TC will eat a car like a Scion TC like a killer shark eating a penguin...

HHR is practical, good choice.

What kinds of cars do you like, loki...

Acura should have hired the stylist Kia hired

Both should be shot (Acura stylist, Kia stylist) to preserve some sense of "artistic" in the human gene pool.

Chris

...like I've said before, central Ohio is Honda country, because so much goes on in Marysville. Know a lot of people who work for Honda.

When the people building and designing the products think that they are ugly and don't want them in their driveways...something is wrong, big time.

Acura and Honda have brilliant engeneering...but...ughhhh