Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

2009's most collectible vehicle is... the Ford Flex?!

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Crossover, Ford, Design/Style

flexecoboostreview_13_opt.jpg
2010 Ford Flex EcoBoost - Click above for high-res image gallery

The National Automotive History Collection (NAHC) has named the 2010 Ford Flex its most collectible vehicle of 2009, beating out seven other vehicles shortlisted for the award. The Flex is the 11th vehicle to receive the award, given by members overseeing the "world-famous" automotive collection at the Detroit Public Library. Members say the Flex won because it was the most likely vehicle to turn heads at the 2034 Woodward Dream Cruise.

The Flex does have some interesting styling cues and the EcoBoost model is sold in relatively low volumes which could make it the Woody of its generation, but even still, we're not entirely sold on its collectibility. We're actually quite fond of the Flex but we just don't see anyone collecting Ford's boxy crossover any time soon (or in the future, either). For starters, this author hopes crossovers don't become collectibles. Something about a people hauler being put on display for all to see and admire seems wrong - just don't tell Chevrolet Nomad collectors.

Then there is the fact that most of the early models that were named "Most Collectible" are now considered to be very average transportation at best and flat out junk at worst. For example, the Oldsmobile Aurora and the Buick Riviera were co-winners in 1995 followed by the Chrysler Sebring Convertible in 1996. Yuck. The award then went on hiatus until 2002 when the retro-riffic but short-lived Ford Thunderbird was predictably chosen. More recent winners have been a bit more respectable though, with the Dodge Challenger and Viper making the list along with the 2005 Ford Mustang. The Chrysler 300 and Pontiac Solstice have also made it to the podium. We get that this is a reward given out in Detroit with virtually no chance of a foreign nameplate ever winning, but we can think of plenty of domestics that seem more deserving. How about the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V or Shelby GT500? Or the 2010 Camaro? Hit the jump for Ford's official press release, and then feel free to weigh in with your thoughts in Comments.

Photos by Dan Roth / Copyright ©2009 Weblogs, Inc.
[source: Ford]

Continue reading 2009's most collectible vehicle is... the Ford Flex?!

2009's most collectible vehicle is... the Ford Flex?! originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:21:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=hXDzD1JiAW0:y6KTbpXBBWY:wF9xT autoblog?i=hXDzD1JiAW0:y6KTbpXBBWY:V_sGL
hXDzD1JiAW0

View the full article

The obvious choice is the Solstice GXP coupe.

The rest need not apply.

Remember I said this 20 years from now.

The rest need not apply.

Absolutely, 100% agree! 8)

The Flex seems to be a decent family truckster, but I don't see it as a future collectible.

Needs woodgrain trim on the sides and speed holes, IMHO.. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The rest need not apply.

That's the first vehicle that came to mind when I saw the topic title. I suppose if Sosltice has already won that might exclude it, but the GXP coupe is no doubt the correct car IMO.

The rest need not apply.

We have a winner.

- limited production

- performance

- sexy

- among the final products of the brand

Besides the Solstice GXP, I'd rank the G8 GXP up there also. Another 1 year model, probably pretty low volume also.

Besides the Solstice GXP, I'd rank the G8 GXP up there also. Another 1 year model, probably pretty low volume also.

Yeah, but apparently, Pontiac was not bribing the judges enough.

totally agree

There were about twice as many G8 GXPs as there were Solstice Coupe GXPs. So both will be highly collectible, but the Solstice still wins.

I wonder what the production volume on the G3 was. Too bad they didn't do a GXP version...that could have provided some much-needed subcompact Excitement!!!

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Cubical-Aveo SS FTW!

J/K

Agree on Solstice Coupe GXP

Cubical-Aveo SS FTW!

J/K

Funny you should say that...GMI is reporting the NG '11 Aveo will spawn an RS model. I wonder if there will be a Spark RS also? That would be badass.

The rest need not apply.

You'll be like 80 then wearing a bib, and drooling ... :smilewide:

He's already drooling at the new Sienna Toyota just brought out....

Chris

Funny you should say that...GMI is reporting the NG '11 Aveo will spawn an RS model. I wonder if there will be a Spark RS also? That would be badass.

Sarah Fisher got her start racing go karts...go karts are huge right around here...lots of the local Honda Engeneers race Karts...hmmm...a Spark with a motorcycle motor...

Would be run on a go kart track....

Just kidding but....hmmmm

Sarah Fisher got her start racing go karts...go karts are huge right around here...lots of the local Honda Engeneers race Karts...hmmm...a Spark with a motorcycle motor...

Would be run on a go kart track....

Just kidding but....hmmmm

Karts are the gateway drug to Indy Car and F1... wish I'd been more serious about it when I was 7..

It's easily the Saturn Sky RedLine.

You'll be like 80 then wearing a bib, and drooling ... :smilewide:

Says the man claiming to be an ancient female diety...

If I remember correctly, there were MORE Solstice Coupe GXP's than standard models, so wouldn't they be more collectible? (the standard that is...)

Edited by thedriver

The Solstice roadster had solid production years of availability, so no roadster (GXP or otherwise) will touch the collectibility of a GXP coupe (less than a thousand ever built).

Had GM not killed Pontiac, the story would have been different. Given a full year or two of production I think the coupe would have outsold the roadster. GM being so late to get the job done created a collectible.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0