Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

REPORT: GM-SAIC pondering Tata Nano fighter?

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Budget, China, GM, India, Rumormill

saic-gm.jpg

Though the minuscule Tata Nano hasn't even been on the market for a complete year, the impact it's had on the automotive world may be exactly inverse to its size and price. In other words, it's had a huge effect, proving to the world that it's possible to build a business plan around selling super cheap cars in rapidly expanding markets.

You can reportedly add the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) and General Motors joint venture to the list of automakers that have taken notice of the Nano. According to reports rolling in from China and India, the 50:50 JV is considering a vehicle that would be positioned below the Chevy Spark/Daewoo Matiz that would sell for as little as $3,500.

So far, GM/SAIC isn't commenting on the reports, but has indicated in the past that it plans to build small vans, SUVs and cars for emerging markets like China and India.

[source: WheelsUnplugged | Image: Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images]

REPORT: GM-SAIC pondering Tata Nano fighter? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=v3mNFqmIRlA:Sw9rCYpCNBs:wF9xT autoblog?i=v3mNFqmIRlA:Sw9rCYpCNBs:V_sGL
v3mNFqmIRlA

View the full article

I think they should do it. I also think they should not sell it in the US.

I think they should do it. I also think they should not sell it in the US.

+1. If GM wants to be a global force it should do it in the markets where there is a strong demand for the given vehicle type.

I wonder if GM has the tooling for the Chevette stashed away somewhere? Add a few modern features and a current engine, it could be a $3500 car... :)

Its a pretty intensely ugly car, the Nano, but it fills a need/niche-hopefully this "Chevy Joy" I'll call it (after a 90's Mexican or Brazil subcompact) will be much easier on the eyes and have decent passenger/cargo room for its size....

As always GM was forward thinking about cars in this category in 2004 but never materialized it.

Meet Opel Trixx.

Opel%20Trixx%2003.jpg

I wonder if GM has the tooling for the Chevette stashed away somewhere? Add a few modern features and a current engine, it could be a $3500 car... :)

slap an SS badge on it too! it IS RWD you know!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0