Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevrolet Germany will move out of Opel's headquarters

14 posts in this topic

Chevrolet Germany will move out of Opel's headquarters

MICHAEL KNAUER

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

DECEMBER 16, 2009 - 12:01 AM ET

MUNICH -- Chevrolet is distancing itself from Opel in Germany.

Chevrolet Germany will move out of Opel's headquarters in Ruesselsheim into its own offices by February, said Markus Leithe, Chevrolet's top executive for Germany.

In addition, Chevrolet wants its own dealers. Currently Chevrolets are sold alongside Opel and Saab cars at many GM dealers in Europe.

"We have ambitious growth plans and we will act more confidently with our brand than in the past," Leithe said.

General Motors Co. owns Chevrolet and Opel. In Europe, Chevrolet is marketed as a value brand and it competes against low-priced cars from Asian automakers. Opel is positioned higher and is a rival to Volkswagen brand and Ford Motor Co.

"Our cars keep getting better and just a bit more expensive," Wayne Brannon, Chevrolet's European chief, told Automotive News Europe sister publication Automobilwoche. "That puts us a little closer to Opel."

Chevrolet wants to double the number of its models sold in Europe by early 2013, Brannon said. They will include the Camaro sports car, which is due arrive in Europe in 2011.

Brannon said Chevrolet aims to sell a million cars a year in Europe within five years, up from 500,000 this year.

The total for Chevrolet's European sales includes Russia and Turkey.

Either this will get interesting, or GM will compete against itsself in Europe. Wait a minute... We have seen this before... GM North America!

No internal competition if Opel moves to where SAAB was supposed to be. Let's see if that's a possibility.

Just remember other than Corvette (which in Europe is its own brand), Chevys in Europe are just GMDAT. Hardly competition for Opel.

Just remember other than Corvette (which in Europe is its own brand), Chevys in Europe are just GMDAT. Hardly competition for Opel.

:deathwatch:

But Opel has been squeezed in the past between Chevy which is steadily growing and SAAB that has mostly been stagnant. Now that they managed to get rid of SAAB they might want to move upwards to be the European Buick (in the sense of brand hierarchy position): Chevy Buick/GMC Cadillac in NA and China; Chevy Opel Cadillac in Europe (although Cadillac is a joke saleswise around here).

I just saw a stat some where that Opel is going to be placed in the near luxury group where Audi once was. They feel it is a very open aarea where Opel can gow sales and profits. Chevy will become the entry level only.

So effectivly Opel will become Buick in Europe based on what the interview stated. I wish I could find that story again. It was out about a week ago.

I just saw a stat some where that Opel is going to be placed in the near luxury group where Audi once was. They feel it is a very open aarea where Opel can gow sales and profits. Chevy will become the entry level only.

So effectivly Opel will become Buick in Europe based on what the interview stated. I wish I could find that story again. It was out about a week ago.

I heard that too! I figured out that is what GM was doing was positioning its brands globally. What you are saying makes sense. I think this is the rebuilding we have heard so much about and PCS hints at all the time. If Opel becomes Buick Europe, that leaves Chevrolet room in Opels old spot and it is niche in that market. They would need something above "Opelized" Buick. Now they have dropped all the baggage all over, they can do this. The only issue is how to place Holden globally with out stepping on toes. We have a gap between Chevy and Buick here in North America and orphaned Oldsmobile and Pontiac buyers. Holden exports to other places, but as Chevrolet, Daewoo.

If you see it, it is starting to shape up. Lets look:

Daewoo is a regional brand for South Korea, but most of its products are other GM cars. GM owns 70.1% now. There is a reason for that. American Buick has become like Chinese Buick, and you cannot start selling Buicks in Europe, so Opel fills the "Buick" spot there. i.e. Regal/ Insignia, Excelle/Astra etc. Cadillac is the one with a problem in Europe. Chevrolet is seen as a cheap low end brand in Europe. GM wants to pull a "Hyundai" in Europe with Chevrolet. If you reposition Opel in Europe to be more Buick/ SAAB like then Chevrolet becomes like Chevrolet in the rest of the world. That is why GM Europe is getting its house in order.

Cadillac is addressing its issues with ATS and CTS family in Europe.

We could have Oldsmobile and Pontiac be regional brands for North America, but they would have to share platforms or models with other global GM brands and they would not need to be full line brands. This is where Holden would come into play.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac is addressing its issues with ATS and CTS family in Europe.

It'll take at least 20 years of product to close the perception gap. Audi is a local brand and it took them that long.

Edited by ZL-1

It'll take at least 20 years of product to close the perception gap. Audi is a local brand and it took them that long.

Who said the road to success was easy? We gotta fight period. :)

Caddy has a lot of learning to do.

Who said the road to success was easy? We gotta fight period. :)

Caddy has a lot of learning to do.

Caddy to Europe is like a VW Phaeton is to the states. Just not taken seriously for the money. This can change but it will not be easy.

Selling a luxury car in Europe is like selling a Amercan micro car in Japan and a Full Size pickup from Japan in the states. Each market has it's favorites in some classes.

this is why I have said recently, Cadillac and Opel need to jointly develop a RWD flagship, maybe Holden joins in. Opel needs a true RWD flagship and so does Caddy. There is your Caddy S Class replacement and your Opel flagship too.

Caddy to Europe is like a VW Phaeton is to the states. Just not taken seriously for the money. This can change but it will not be easy.

Selling a luxury car in Europe is like selling a Amercan micro car in Japan and a Full Size pickup from Japan in the states. Each market has it's favorites in some classes.

There's a lot of brand equity that goes with the German trio of BMW, Mercedes and Audi; plus in some countries a tad of nationalism (though that is slowly fading with increased penetration from Asian brands). Cadillac will have a very long and slow uphill battle establishing itself here, but since now it is the only real GM premium/luxury brand, it's the only brand they can fight to establish. I wish GM the best of luck.

this is why I have said recently, Cadillac and Opel need to jointly develop a RWD flagship, maybe Holden joins in. Opel needs a true RWD flagship and so does Caddy. There is your Caddy S Class replacement and your Opel flagship too.

Who is to say they are not? The key for Cadillac is to develope cars as a world platform just as Buick is now. If you want accepted everywhere all markets need to be involved. Too often we make a Cadillac for the states with some Euro charm and expect the world to embrace it. It has been a long time since Cadillac ment much oversea.

The CTS was the first step and the Alpha based sedan is the second. Right now they need a 3 series car that is not as good but better than the BMW in all areas. Once you show the Euro crowd this they may not snap it up right away but you will get their attention for future products. Audi was never taken for a BMW challanger till they started to sell people on their most popular models and then the more expensive ones were taken seriously.

People over there are just not going to love Cadillac with only the first good car. They lost a lot of credit for im,provment with the BLS.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room