Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

For Sale: Alienware MJ-12 M7700a Laptop

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm selling my

Alienware MJ-12 M7700a

Up for sale is my flawless Alienware MJ-12 M7700a. It's had a very easy life. It was originally owned by my employer as a developer's machine. I bought it from them when they standardized on Lenovo laptops for everyone. Most of it's life with me it's spent on a desk unused.

It is currently running Windows 7 64bit Release Candidate. Prior to shipping I am going to wipe the hard drives. You will have your choice of Windows XP SP2 or Windows 7 64bit R/C. If you opt for the Windows 7, you will have to buy a license from Microsoft prior to March 2010 or else the operating system till stop functioning. You will also have your choice of RAID 0, RAID 1, or no RAID.

The 17" widescreen is crystal clear with no blemishes or dead pixels. The surround sound with built in subwoofer is great.

This laptop has an NVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra PCIe x16 with 256mb video ram. It is also able to share the system ram up to 1024mb. The Windows 7 64bit drivers for this card are very difficult to locate because they are specific to Alienware, so I have included a CD with the video drivers plus any others you might need to reinstall Windows 7 at a later date. The complete Windows XP SP2 install disk and drivers are included.

The battery was never great for these machines even out of the box, but even now at 3 years old it'll run on batteries for over an hour.

The Windows performance score is 5.0

4 USB ports

2 mini-firewire ports

4 port multi-card reader

1 PCMCIA slot

Front panel CD audio controls

Dual 120 hard drives and RAID card

NVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra PCIe x16

WNC CM9 Wireless

Realtek PCI Gigabit ethernet

Power pack

Alienware Intellimouse by Microsoft

The only thing I couldn't get working on Windows 7 64bit was the bluetooth.

Listing on E-bay

fixed with new auction number since an ebay scammer did a buy it now and closed my auction.

What was the point of that scam? To harass you? Or are stupid people still trying in this day and age to get you to cash a giant bogus cashier's check?

What was the point of that scam? To harass you? Or are stupid people still trying in this day and age to get you to cash a giant bogus cashier's check?

I'm not quite sure. He did a 'Buy-It-Now' and then canceled his account.

It still says listing removed for the links in the post.

re-fixed

How has your experience been with a monstrosity laptop like this one? What is your reason for selling it?

How has your experience been with a monstrosity laptop like this one? What is your reason for selling it?

It's been a great performing machine. It's very rugged. It's great for graphics and watching movies. It's less bulky than a desktop, but not as portable as a regular laptop. The best way to put it is "portable desktop". It's an incredibly high quality machine... as it should be, it cost about $4,000 in 2006.

My reason for selling it is simple. I have a sudden need for something much more portable for travel. :AH-HA:

In addition to future C&G travel, I am now responsible for the Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Columbus, OH offices in addition to being in charge of the team at the Pittsburgh office. My underlings, for various reasons, are unable to travel to the remote offices, so all of the travel now falls on me.

Weird situation with the drivers. I have a similar GPU, and found up-to-date ForceWare drivers on this site: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

You might have to poke around, little, but you should be able to find WHQL certified drivers that match the Go-6800. It'd be something worth telling the buyer, if they're computer savvy.

Weird situation with the drivers. I have a similar GPU, and found up-to-date ForceWare drivers on this site: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

You might have to poke around, little, but you should be able to find WHQL certified drivers that match the Go-6800. It'd be something worth telling the buyer, if they're computer savvy.

That's where I got the drivers. If you go to NVidia, they tell you to visit Alienware. Alienware hasn't updated the drivers for Windows 7 even though the machine is more than capable for it.

It works great with the drivers though, there's no real difference.