Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Detroit 2010 Preview: Volvo C30 EV evolves for road trials

2 posts in this topic

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Coupe, Volvo, Electric

volvo-e-c30-630.jpg
Volvo C30 BEV prototype - Click above for high-res image gallery

Volvo has built versions of its C30 hatchback with efficient diesel engines, plug-in hybrid powerplants, flex-fuel ICEs, and pure electric drivetrains. It's the all-electric version that will get some extra attention at the Detroit Auto Show next month with Volvo's announcement today that it will build at least 50 units of the BEV C30. The cars will be made next year and are due to start real-world tests in 2011.

Volvo brought a drivable prototype version of the C30 BEV to the Frankfurt Motor Show earlier this year, but the machine that will be shown in Detroit is a more evolved iteration. Volvo says that the NAIAS unit has a complete interior, full instrumentation, and enhanced battery packaging.

Lennart Stegland, director of Volvo Cars Special Vehicles, said in a statement, "The first prototype helped us identify the main technological challenges, such as battery packaging and safety issues. We have addressed these challenges without compromising the C30's cool and fun-to-drive personality. I am very happy with the result. The electric C30 in Detroit is a much more complete product." Want to know more? Check out the high-res gallery below and the official press release after the jump.

[source: Volvo]

Continue reading Detroit 2010 Preview: Volvo C30 EV evolves for road trials

Detroit 2010 Preview: Volvo C30 EV evolves for road trials originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=GK-n5JSJoS0:TnHDu7UaAZs:wF9xT autoblog?i=GK-n5JSJoS0:TnHDu7UaAZs:V_sGL
GK-n5JSJoS0

View the full article

Methinks a Volvo C30 may VERY WELL make it into my garage. It is the car my wife most likes right now, and since she's willing to talk about getting rid of the crap box...

But seriously...a cool development for what is IMHO one of the neatest cars built by anyone right now.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0