Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Four-cylinder Buick LaCrosse arrives Q1 next year, to be priced from $26,995*

66 posts in this topic

Filed under: Buick

lacrosse_fd000_opt.jpg
2010 Buick LaCrosse - Click above for high-res image gallery

A few months back following the debut of the 2010 LaCrosse, Buick surprised us with the announcement that it would add a third powertrain option to the sedan's lineup. After launching with a pair of V6 engines, Buick is now getting ready to start offering a LaCrosse CX model with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. This is the same direct injected unit that debuted in the new Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain last summer.

When the four-pot LaCrosse goes on sale early in the new year, it will carry a base sticker price of $26,995 (*including delivery). That's $840 less than what it takes to get the current 3.0-liter V6 powered CX model in your driveway. In addition to the up-front savings, buyers should expect reduced operating costs for the four. Final EPA certification numbers aren't in yet, but Buick is estimating that the LaCrosse four will net 20 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. For comparison's sake, the 3.0-liter is rated at 17/26 mpg city and highway.

The new 2.4-liter LaCrosse is slated to arrive in dealers in the first quarter of 2010. Official details in the presser after the jump.

Photos Copyright ©2009 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.
[source: Buick]

Continue reading Four-cylinder Buick LaCrosse arrives Q1 next year, to be priced from $26,995*

Four-cylinder Buick LaCrosse arrives Q1 next year, to be priced from $26,995* originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:33:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=iYHpv7VR2hw:JSEzRGj80C4:wF9xT autoblog?i=iYHpv7VR2hw:JSEzRGj80C4:V_sGL
iYHpv7VR2hw

View the full article

Hmm.. about $700 less than a Malibu LTZ four-cylinder. Not bad, though the Malibu probably has a bit more equipment.

Hmm.. about $700 less than a Malibu LTZ four-cylinder. Not bad, though the Malibu probably has a bit more equipment.

Even with the cloth seats and base radio the Lacrosse interior blows the Malibu away.

...and I love the Malibu interior. GM is getting a lot of things "right"

With the 6 speed the 2.4 should be just fine...the Buick isn't that much heavier than the Cobalt, and the 4 cyl powerplants in the Cobalt do just dandy.

Chris

...and I love the Malibu interior. GM is getting a lot of things "right"

With the 6 speed the 2.4 should be just fine...the Buick isn't that much heavier than the Cobalt, and the 4 cyl powerplants in the Cobalt do just dandy.

Chris

Chris this is the Lacrosse. It is Cobalt plus people in our meet in Pittsburgh.

I still think it should be okay.

Cobalt is what...3200-3300 lbs...Buick is what 3700-3800lbs, max?

Chris

Chris

Close to 2700-2900 lbs depending on the trim.

hmmm...didn't think Cobalt was that light.

Wonder how this thing will do then...didn't balthazar have a 4 cyl in his wife's Malibu and like it?

Chris

I still think this engine should not be in this car.

I still think this engine should not be in this car.

It will be a dog. They should have just left the two sixs and called it a day. Oh well, for old farts who don't need any power it'll work fine. They really should have kept the cars weight down and tunned the 3.0L DI for better fuel economy. Rumor is they are working on that and have nailed it for the RWD Zeta cars. If I recall the 3.6L DI gets better or the same fuel economy and is quicker. Also the LaX is porky close to 4,000 pounds, and it weighs more than my SLE.

Edited by gm4life

Chris

My car is 3880 pounds and has a V8, and I think it needs more power. The 4 cylinder LaCrosse will probably accelerate like the 4 cylinder Equinox, which may be ok if you live somewhere totally flat, but it is going to be a dog climbing hills.

I think if this was the 220 hp turbo 4 from the Regal, it would be fine and more competitive with the class. The Avalon and Taurus only give up 2 mpg but have another 80 horsepower. The Passat is also $26,995, gets 31 mpg, has 200 hp/207 lb-ft, and only weighs 3331 lbs.

It's probably intended to be fleet filler until the Regal comes out.

It says fleet or grandma car, but I don't think it will help CAFE all that much. GM's problem with CAFE is the Silverado/Sierra, they sell 600,000+ of them a year getting 15-20 mpg. Where is the V6 (gas and diesel) Silverado? GM is either going to have to cut GMT900s (won't ever happen) or get the mileage on them up, otherwise every sedan they sell will have a lame 180 hp 4-banger. I think Hyundai could be in good shape to offer performance and luxury cars post 2015 because they have no trucks to drag down their CAFE.

I'm not saying I like the idea but remember most people don't care about 0-60 times. Just make it quiet and refined, and as long as it can get out of its own way people will be happy with it. There's always the 3.6 for those of us who crave more power.

too bad this is a porker, even though i know the epa estimates are harsher. my 99 MC's 3.1 is rated 20/29, with a 4 speed.

this idea would not happen if not for cafe, or the need to water down "premium" to get a few more customers

saw a new LaX today at a bank, parked. i really want to test drive one sometime.

This thing will be sloooooow. I dunno about you guys but when non-car types I know test drive cars they almost always at least mention "pickup".

This thing will be sloooooow. I dunno about you guys but when non-car types I know test drive cars they almost always at least mention "pickup".

It's not going to be a speed demon, but the extra bump in HP and torque over the Malibu plus the better grunt of the DI engine at low RPMs should make up for the gain in weight. My guess is that it will perform basically the same as a Malibu LTZ with the 4-cylinder. For many people, that's good enough.

Still seems like it will be redundant once the Regal comes out.

2.4 / 6-spd in a 2LT Malibu goes very well. No complaints from this leadfoot.

But what the gearing / weight differences are 'twixt the LaX & 'bu, IDK.

It's only the microcosm of enthusiasts that place HP as a prime factor within a segment. If it was as important as we think it was, every car in it's segment with the most HP / best performance to 60 would be #1 in sales. Are they??

This engine and the 3.0L DI V6 both make absolutely no sense in this car. If the 2010 LaCrosse ends up being the flagship sedan in Buick's lineup, then it should be available with the 3.6L DI V6 only. I could maybe see a turbocharged version of the 2.4L DI 4-cylinder as a base engine, but not a normally aspirated version of this engine. With the Regal coming next year, this move seems redundant. The Regal and a smaller Delta II based sedan can handle 4-cylinder sedan offerings for Buick customers.

It's not going to be a speed demon, but the extra bump in HP and torque over the Malibu plus the better grunt of the DI engine at low RPMs should make up for the gain in weight. My guess is that it will perform basically the same as a Malibu LTZ with the 4-cylinder. For many people, that's good enough.

hopefully the LaCrosse will have a higher level of refinement.

the Malibu is peppy, and smooth, but overall it still feels like a bread and butter car that has economy in mind. In particular the engine noise could stand to be more drowned out, and the transmission is not masked as well as it should be in higher price points.

For the many people that buy Accord or Camry 4-cylinders it is enough power (especially since those cars weigh less), but Buick is aiming higher than the CamCords, or at least they keep claiming to be a premium automaker. A "premium" car should do better than a Malibu or Camry. The Camry has 179 hp engine and is 3350 pounds, so the LaCrosse won't even keep up with a Camry. I know acceleration isn't a big factor in the demographic that buys Toyotas and Buicks, but still, a discount LaCrosse does nothing to repair an already damaged image.

This engine and the 3.0L DI V6 both make absolutely no sense in this car. If the 2010 LaCrosse ends up being the flagship sedan in Buick's lineup, then it should be available with the 3.6L DI V6 only. I could maybe see a turbocharged version of the 2.4L DI 4-cylinder as a base engine, but not a normally aspirated version of this engine. With the Regal coming next year, this move seems redundant. The Regal and a smaller Delta II based sedan can handle 4-cylinder sedan offerings for Buick customers.

if you wanted to parallel VW, you'd have a base turbo 4, and a v6.

For the many people that buy Accord or Camry 4-cylinders it is enough power (especially since those cars weigh less), but Buick is aiming higher than the CamCords, or at least they keep claiming to be a premium automaker. A "premium" car should do better than a Malibu or Camry. The Camry has 179 hp engine and is 3350 pounds, so the LaCrosse won't even keep up with a Camry. I know acceleration isn't a big factor in the demographic that buys Toyotas and Buicks, but still, a discount LaCrosse does nothing to repair an already damaged image.

2011 sonata or is it 2010, has 200hp four.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0