Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevys becoming more popular among the young?

mustang84

Today I was eating at the dining center with a couple girls and somehow we got on the subject of what cars we drove. One of them said she used to have a Corolla but her parents recently bought her a Chevy Malibu. I assumed it was a '97-'03, but she said it was a 2004 so I thought that was kinda interesting. Then, as we were leaving, I overheard some guy say "No, I don't have the Civic anymore...I have a Cobalt now." I've also seen a ton of G6's around campus. Could GM be attracting a new generation of car buyers?

I'm 16 and have several friends who plan on purchasing a Cobalt as their first car. Two already own SS/SC's. I have a few friends who plan on getting G6 sedans as well.

Another reason why Pontiac so badly needs a Kappa four seater at the entry level... with baby '08 GTO looks and speed parts for the Ecotec coming on strong, how could it not destroy all others in its class? I mean it's perfect for drifting. Can you imagine a little Tempest coupe with a supercharger and the Solstice's polished 18" rims? WOW!

:o

Another reason why Pontiac so badly needs a Kappa four seater at the entry level... with baby '08 GTO looks and speed parts for the Ecotec coming on strong, how could it not destroy all others in its class?  I mean it's perfect for drifting.  Can you imagine a little Tempest coupe with a supercharger and the Solstice's polished 18" rims?  WOW!

:o

[post="5630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now all gm has to do is make sure dealers look at the youth as full pockets as opposed to pests. I always get ignored in GM dealers, and it pisses me off.. I'm 24 and I have money to spend, but I don't want some guy who thinks I'm a jackass, getting my comission money!

I hadnt really relized it but now that u say it i think that gm is doing well among young drivers. I know a girl that is 18 and wants a vibe, and my girlfriends brother wants a new cobalt, and alot of my friends like to talk about how cool the hhr and the cobalt are.

One thing Olds was good for was the Alero, it sold pretty well amongst the high school/college crowd. It was great for those who didn't want the childish styling of the Grand Am. The Aveo seems to be doing pretty well in picking up some of those sales, and the Cobalt is definately picking up, which is good for GM as the G6 doesn't seem to be attracting the same crowd as the Grand Am.

Grand Am styling childish? :blink: :rolleyes: Chevy and Pontiac both have always been pretty popular in Brookville. Both among the old, the young, and the middle-aged. The Cobalt is starting to catch on, but the G6 hasn't at all. They stay on the dealer's lot and I still have only seen like three on the road here. I see more Grand Ams than any other car here. The biggest factor I can think of is the name change as I've said many times. People don't know what the hell it is... The fact that they're still selling Grand Ams makes it even more confusing. GM fucked up big-time here...

The Grand Am does look pretty goofy with the ribbing on the sides. I like it on the SSEi, yet on the GA its almost a bit too much as well as the extra set of backup lamps. Again, I still think they look nice, but Aleros have far more class, especially with chromes in darker colors. Like mini Intrigues.

Satty, Satty, Satty... My mom owned one, of course I have. However, you should be more specific when you talk about the GA. Why? Because... Exterior: Beautiful. Interior: Wierd. But I still love it, regardless of how crappy it is and what people say. Variance... My mom used to refer to the double gauge-clusters as "breast holders". :lol:

I'm still having a hard time promoting GM to people around me. Well, American cars in general.

And my friend is trying to get me off an American car.

[post="5693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i get that too. they look absolutely horrified if you even suggest you get an American brand car.

so viper, your mom have the huge rack going? don't be shy, share the details. Edited by regfootball

Yeah the Aveo's are very popular, and despite mediocre passenger room and cheap interior materials on Base models, Cobalt's are multiplying around my area. And there's definitely a lot of Equinox's out, and (sigh....) Colorado's as well. I have to hold my words to my friend about his 2001 (and another's 1999) Grand Am-the coupe is better than the sedan in my opinion, but all in all-good riddance they're dead. Its just too bad Pontiac screwed up the styling, engines, and interior room for the G6-its not beyond help, but knowing GM, that probably won't happen until 2010.

My, my it must be nice to be freaking rich enough or have a good enough job while in high school to afford a new car. As far as Chevrolet attracting younger buyers, I doubt it, at least in southern Michigan. Myself and my friends are either Mopar or Ford people (Ford is not for me). I believe it is because of horrid vehicles like the Cavalier/Sunfire versus the Focus or Neon, and how ugly the Aztec was/is/forever-will-be. I have driven a Cobalt LS sedan, but it lacks character. An older (2003) Focus I drove was much more fun. However, even though I am not a huge GM fan, I still have a soft spot for the company, and the Cobalt is an oh-so-pleasant (if vanilla) step in the right direction. I'm willing to try another GM car eventually, but not anytime soon. There is still progress to be made with perceived quality and making models more attractive. I'm willing to forgive GM...eventually. My friends do not seem so likely to. Despite that "eventually" and my preferance for Chrysler Corp., oops, sorry, Chrysler Group, I would take a Cobalt Coupe over a Neon because: 1) It's a coupe. 2)The latest face lifted Neon (2003-present) has an appearance that makes me grimace!

Going to high school in Gardena, dealing with the kids of Japanese and Hawaiian descent was a monster....they swore up and down that there was nothing like a Japanese car....which was kind of annoying, but for the fact that the Civics, CRXs, Integras, Preludes, and Accords they drove to school in were all quite nicely built. Knowing then what I know now, I'd have stuck to my guns about that F-body. In any case, not to stay racial about it (ban me please!), but I still think the Asians (especially in this city) are the hardest sell, because Japanese cars (and in a lot of cases, that JDM aftermarket crap they wanna throw on it) are absolutely the business to a lot of, if not most of them.... Black males, however, have zero problem, by and large, with American cars, and more often than not, tend to aspire to them.... The jury's still out on sisters and everyone else....

I dont believe in calling anything whose bloodlines are shared with this as beautiful. Take away the cladding, its just a plain-old sedan with pointy headlights and a twin kidney grille.

Kinda like the Alero....

I for one loved the "childish" styling and "weird" interior.

Then again, I hate bland, non-offensive and 'me-too' designs as well. All of which=most of the sedans out there now