Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

REPORT: GM to show Chevy Orlando-based GMC Granite and hi-po Buick Regal in Detroit

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Convertible, Coupe, Budget, Sedan, Performance, Etc., Crossover, Hatchback, Buick, Chevrolet, GM, Rumormill, Luxury, Off-Road

chevyorlandonaias09.jpg
GMC Granite will share a platform with the 2011 Chevrolet Orlando shown above

It seems as though it's just about impossible to keep an embargo in place these days. A Canadian outlet just spilled the beans on a couple of GM reveals set for Detroit next month. They say they were invited to a sneak preview Wednesday evening and although they couldn't take pics, they felt free to tell us about the whole array of models. Some have been loosely-guarded secrets, but a couple are unknowns, so we'll quote CanadianDriver on those until we get confirmation from GM.

Apparently, The General will have a slew of new model introductions in the D next month, including the much-anticipated Camaro Convertible, the new, upsized Aveo, a substantially-revised Malibu, production versions of the Spark and Orlando, and two models we hadn't heard about until now: A GMC version of the Orlando dubbed the Granite, and a "sport version of the Buick Regal" that should get "many of its performance parts from the 325-hp Opel Insignia OPC." Hot dog, the Regal GS is apparently more than a wet dream. Bring on the Stage 1 and GNX.

The Regal was just introduced in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago, so the announcement of a performance model so soon thereafter seems a little strange -- not that we're complaining, mind you. The Granite is described as an "urban utility vehicle" and will be the smallest model in GMC's history. A Denali edition can only be around the corner. We'll get you more details as they are released and we'll be sure to have the whole field covered when the Big Top opens at Cobo in January.

Gallery: 2010 Chevy Spark

10chevspark_hi_001_thumbnail.jpg10chevspark_hi_003_thumbnail.jpg10chevspark_hi_002_thumbnail.jpg10chevspark_hi_004_thumbnail.jpg

[source: CandianDriver]

REPORT: GM to show Chevy Orlando-based GMC Granite and hi-po Buick Regal in Detroit originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:25:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=zzsb85vrncY:7t_47Q7kCC4:wF9xT autoblog?i=zzsb85vrncY:7t_47Q7kCC4:V_sGL
zzsb85vrncY

View the full article

Not suprised by any of these.

The Camaro was a given.

The Orlando has been shoing up in spy photo's just at the right time for a lead in for Detroit.

The Spark has been hinted at and I think they will see how the public reacts to it. My hunch is it is going to come here.

The Aveo like the Orlando has been showin up in spy photo's too.

The GS was all but anounced in LA. They had to save something for Detroit. They would not have shown us the Opel OPC at the press function it they had no plans to release it here as a Buick. I would say we will get something just like it in Buick trim and only a few minor shock and tire mods.

I was wondering if the Malibu would show its new clothes in Detroit. I was not sure if they were ready to pull the trigger yet but when Bob spoker on it the other day I figured it was a go. GM always telegraphs their Detroit products in December.

I suspect the Indy Pace car Camaro will also show up.

Usually there is a big suprise too so I wonder if the new Alpha Caddy may make day light for the first time too?

Edited by hyperv6

And the rebadging continues. "New GM" was supposed to get rid of the rebadges and watered down clones that led them to bankruptcy in the first place. Same old, same old at GM, they still don't get it.

Equinox and Terrain share only roof and windshield, AFAIK. They are not rebadges of each other. I expect that trend to continue for these Delta people movers.

I think Whitacre is going to go full throttle at the NAIAS this year. The main idea will of course be to change people's perception with a Blitzkrieg.

I am loving it so far. It is good time to be GM fan again for those who abandoned the ship. I personally will love to have a 325 hp GNX, GS whatever the heck they call it.

I'd rather see GMC go after the hardcore truck & sport utility market than go softer with all these crossovers and MPVs. Chevy can cover those bases.

Edited by mustang84

I'd rather see GMC go after the hardcore truck market than go softer with all these crossovers and MPVs. Chevy can cover that base.

The Terrain and Granite fill the void left by the loss of the Torrent and Vibe.

True, and as long as they look different enough from there Chevy platform mates they will be fine.

Edited by gm4life

Chevy makes products to fill that void. Every dollar spent on the Granite (bad name) could go toward a new Impala, or the Malibu, cars that GM needs to succeed.

Regal GS or whatever they call it is a good idea to compete with the Subaru WRX, Evo, and TSX V6 and some of those Fast & Furious type sedans, but I think it will be a low volume seller. Especially with a Buick badge on it. The 9-3 Aero X didn't sell, the Regal GS better be $5-10,000 cheaper, but then how will GM make money on it.

I still don't see the point of paying so much attention to Buick and GMC. Chevy needs a new Aveo, the Cruz on sale yesterday, an updated Malibu, and an all new Impala. Those 4 cars could be 1 million units a year, Buick as a brand is lucky to sell 1/5th of that.

Should the Granite really be a Chevy? You know Like A Rock! Besides it is plaform sharing not rebadging everyone informed here knows that by now.

Chvy has enough product to carry them and they have less damage control needed. On the other hand GMC ad Buick need to show why they were saved and prove it with good product that people would really want to buy for once and pay more in doing so. For Chevy the Aveo, Cruze, Bu And Orlando are very close to the show room and the Impala is the only great need. And these are the only cars we offically know about. I suspect there will be a few suprises on the way.

I agree Ed and Bob is on a product blitz. I think they want to show that GM is very viable and on the new path. What better way than paying a billion on the loan and to intro a bunch of new product not far from the show room. this makes for a strong image of a company that was on the rocks. If they retract and show weakness who is going to buy their cars?

Chevy makes products to fill that void. Every dollar spent on the Granite (bad name) could go toward a new Impala, or the Malibu, cars that GM needs to succeed.

Regal GS or whatever they call it is a good idea to compete with the Subaru WRX, Evo, and TSX V6 and some of those Fast & Furious type sedans, but I think it will be a low volume seller. Especially with a Buick badge on it. The 9-3 Aero X didn't sell, the Regal GS better be $5-10,000 cheaper, but then how will GM make money on it.

I still don't see the point of paying so much attention to Buick and GMC. Chevy needs a new Aveo, the Cruz on sale yesterday, an updated Malibu, and an all new Impala. Those 4 cars could be 1 million units a year, Buick as a brand is lucky to sell 1/5th of that.

You know that the European car magazines have compared Insignia VXR with the Audi S4 as they are almost identical in performance with the VXR being actually "lighter" than the S4. They have praised it to be a 95% S4 for a 80% price. I see Insignia as the cheaper alternative to the S4 not a competitor to tuner cars like Subaru and Mitsubishi.

You know that the European car magazines have compared Insignia VXR with the Audi S4 as they are almost identical in performance with the VXR being actually "lighter" than the S4. They have praised it to be a 95% S4 for a 80% price. I see Insignia as the cheaper alternative to the S4 not a competitor to tuner cars like Subaru and Mitsubishi.

If it's 95% the S4, then it will be better than a CTS, which I doubt. I suppose the true competitor would be an Ecoboost Fusion or MKZ if/when Ford decides to make them. I just don't see a performance Buick selling any better than the LaCrosse Super or Bonneville GXP. Very limited market.

And the 0-60 times just for fun:

Insignia VXR: 5.6 seconds

Audi S4: 4.9 seconds

BMW 335xi: 4.7 seconds

Camaro SS: 4.7 seconds

Subaru WRX STi: 4.5 seconds

Mitsubishi Evo X: 4.9 seconds (FQ-400 model in Europe does it in 3.8 seconds)

Here is an article from the London Times on it, the last paragraph says it all:

"The truth is, this latest Insignia looks good in the flesh and is superficially convincing on paper, but driving it strongly suggests that Vauxhall’s dream of building a sports saloon that is a truly credible alternative to those made by the cream of Europe’s car makers is still some distance from becoming a reality."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/new_car_reviews/article6805558.ece

Edited by smk4565

When will so many learn it is more about the numbers.

GM has always posted big number only to lose it in Comfort and daily drivability. Often less is more like so many of the top cars have shown and as John Heinricy has shown with the Performance Division tuning. The Europeans have shown us this for year Build cars for the real world not the test track and you will build the better car.

Edited by hyperv6

I told you in the other topic that Susan wasn't refering to the Denali-trimmed Acadia when she was speaking about a new GMC concept!! :neenerneener:

But, I wonder if the name 'Granite' can be legally used by GM since Mack Trucks has it already for their line of construction trucks (Mack Granite)? http://macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=46

If it's 95% the S4, then it will be better than a CTS, which I doubt. I suppose the true competitor would be an Ecoboost Fusion or MKZ if/when Ford decides to make them. I just don't see a performance Buick selling any better than the LaCrosse Super or Bonneville GXP. Very limited market.

And the 0-60 times just for fun:

Insignia VXR: 5.6 seconds

Audi S4: 4.9 seconds

BMW 335xi: 4.7 seconds

Camaro SS: 4.7 seconds

Subaru WRX STi: 4.5 seconds

Mitsubishi Evo X: 4.9 seconds (FQ-400 model in Europe does it in 3.8 seconds)

Here is an article from the London Times on it, the last paragraph says it all:

"The truth is, this latest Insignia looks good in the flesh and is superficially convincing on paper, but driving it strongly suggests that Vauxhall's dream of building a sports saloon that is a truly credible alternative to those made by the cream of Europe's car makers is still some distance from becoming a reality."

http://www.timesonli...icle6805558.ece

Many times your beloved Car and Driver has chosen cars slower in straight line speed. It is not about 0-60, it is about how a car handles and balances giving feedback to the driver. Having never owned a performance car, I guess you have to depend on numbers since Aurora gives you a job of a 60 year old virgin.

Equinox and Terrain share only roof and windshield, AFAIK. They are not rebadges of each other. I expect that trend to continue for these Delta people movers.

My problem with examples of rebadging like Terrain and Equinox is that, they are pretty much the same vehicles and pretty much totally overlap each other in price.

Sure the styling is different. But other than that, what does Terrain offer to elevate it to another level? More features and luxuries? No. Different powertrains? No. More off-road capability even? No.

In fact, I was stunned to see at the Los Angeles Auto Show a Terrain and Equinox with identical interiors....(yeah the dashes are slightly different, but the interior seats and trim were the same black w/light grey patterened inserts and red stitching....

Many times your beloved Car and Driver has chosen cars slower in straight line speed. It is not about 0-60, it is about how a car handles and balances giving feedback to the driver. Having never owned a performance car, I guess you have to depend on numbers since Aurora gives you a job of a 60 year old virgin.

I'm aware, C&D picked the S4 over the faster 335i. Let's look at a review of the Vauxhall Vectra VXR:

My problem with examples of rebadging like Terrain and Equinox is that, they are pretty much the same vehicles and pretty much totally overlap each other in price.

Sure the styling is different. But other than that, what does Terrain offer to elevate it to another level? More features and luxuries? No. Different powertrains? No. More off-road capability even? No.

<cynical>

That's the GM way, though. Been that way for decades. Got to keep the remaining dealers happy. BG dealers see it over on Chevy's lot and selling, they have to have their version.

</cynical>

Jeez some people are so dense. We go through this time an time again. There's a difference between rebadging and reskinning / platform sharing. Please look up the difference.

Equinox/Terrain are successful in that they do not resemble each other at all. That's what people care about. They are well-differentiated, and the Terrain does come with more standard equipment, up through the trim levels, to justify the incremental price difference.

Escape/Mariner are better examples of rebadging, they look very similar to each other, yet they are successfully marketed to different clientele.

Jeez some people are so dense. We go through this time an time again. There's a difference between rebadging and reskinning / platform sharing. Please look up the difference.

Successful platform sharing examples are the Fusion (not Milan) and MKZ, Highlander and RX350, Accord and TL. Those cars don't compete for the same buyer, and have clearly different missions, and don't overlap in price. The Terrain/Equinox may have some different styling cues, but are essentially the same vehicle competing at the same spot in the market. If the Equinox were $22-30,000 and the Terrain was $30-40,000 then I could see the point, but as it is, they overlap. GM produces a competitor for Chevy, that makes no sense, they have enough competition coming from Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.

Edited by smk4565

Successful platform sharing examples are the Fusion (not Milan) and MKZ, Highlander and RX350, Accord and TL. Those cars don't compete for the same buyer, and have clearly different missions, and don't overlap in price. The Terrain/Equinox may have some different styling cues, but are essentially the same vehicle competing at the same spot in the market. If the Equinox were $22-30,000 and the Terrain was $30-40,000 then I could see the point, but as it is, they overlap. GM produces a competitor for Chevy, that makes no sense, they have enough competition coming from Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.

And plenty of people would never buy a Chevy yet would buy a GMC. And plenty of people, on C&G even, don't like the looks of the GMC but like the looks of the Chevy. GM gets two chances to win the customer over.

You know when you did a good job at platform shareing when the people who hate the Nox love the Terrain or the reverse. Let be honest few people like both and that is a sign that GM has sone a good job of making them different.

Now if you can't tell them apart with out seeing the gill then you know you screwed up.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0