Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Poor product mix hurting Ford Taurus sales

7 posts in this topic

Poor product mix hurting Ford Taurus sales

12/21/2009, 12:43 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

The all-new Ford Taurus was designed to be a sales success for the Blue Oval – replace the four-door sedan of the same name that never caught on with consumers – but a flawed product mix is preventing any big sales numbers.

Ford expected most 2010 Taurus buyers to go for the SE or Limited trim levels, but has experienced a higher-than-expected demand for SEL and SHO models. Ford’s production schedule was skewed towards the less popular model, leaving more of the less desirable Taurus models sitting on dealers’ lots.

“It’s a problem for our dealers,” Jim Farley, Ford’s group vice president of global marketing, told Automotive News.

“If you don’t call it, you miss that opportunity and customers don’t see what they want to buy,” Farley said of the Taurus’ current product mix.

Through November, Ford has sold 38,361 Taurus sedans, down 22 percent from the same period in 2008 which was one of the worst for new car sales on record. The Taurus went on sale in August.

Ford is working to correct the problem, but the improved market mix is likely still months from arriving at dealers. Ford says it is taking advanced steps to better align market demand with the correct mix of models and trim levels and has already begun forecasting the right mix of Ford Fiesta models. The Fiesta is slated to hit the market next summer.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/poor-product-mix-hurting-ford-taurus-sales.html

Could also be because it's an enormous car with a tiny interior. Its rear seats are smaller than the Fusion's.

It sounds to me like even Ford thought the higher end models were over priced! :lol: Still, even though I joke I actually like the new Taurus. I just wish you could git a stripper SHO. I'll have to wait a few years and maybe pick one up used.

Edited by 2QuickZ's

Perhaps every "build & price" configuration that people do on the Ford site should be thrown into a database. That should tell them what ppl want.

I wonder if it is possible to get sales broken down by trim level, I'm curious as to how many SHO's they are selling.

So they sold 38,000 + in 4 months?? How is this bad ?? Thats about 114,000 a year if they had been available correct? I stopped by the dearler to see the car first hand and they had 4 SHO's an two LT ( ?? ). The car is beautiful in person. The paint was stunning. I loved it but 45K for a SHO is a lot of money

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0