g-6 convertible design flaw

Bad news about the g-6 convertible.  You can't access the trunk with the top down.  You must put the top back up to get something out of the trunk. They should have copied Saab's design, or made it with a cloth top.  Too bad, it's a nice looking car.

You serious?? The decklid doesn't open when the top is down? That's beyond stupid if that is the case...

I believe other folding roof cars (Mercs, etc) have some space that can be accessed under the folded roof when the top is down...

Edited by moltar

The decklid opens, but you cannot get into the cargo area. The folded top blocks all access. The only way to put something into the trunk or get something out, is to put the top up. I got this confirmed from a dealer who saw it last week in Detroit. He's concerned that this will hurt sales.

I wonder if GM really postponed the production because of this. They were probably trying to figure out how to fix it. Then.. they realized that fixing it costs money and gave up. :rolleyes:

first the solstice with it's small trunk and now this. It seems GM can't get a good grasp on how to make an affordable compact/ midsize convertable properly.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Instead of another laughing stock car, I think GM should not release the convertible. I doubt it will pull in as many sales as GM wants it to, especially with this screw up, and though it is a good idea, it's not executed properly. Just wait until the next-gen.

The decklid opens, but you cannot get into the cargo area. The folded top blocks all access.  The only way to put something into the trunk or get something out, is to put the top up. I got this confirmed from a dealer who saw it last week in Detroit.  He's concerned that this will hurt sales.

Poor design and engineering, it sounds like...

I wonder if GM really postponed the production because of this.  They were probably trying to figure out how to fix it.  Then.. they realized that fixing it costs money and gave up. :rolleyes:

first the solstice with it's small trunk and now this.  It seems GM can't get a good grasp on how to make an affordable compact/ midsize convertable properly.

Yeah....it's STUPID....especially when GM can develop a car like the C6 Convertible has quite a large and decently-shaped trunk.

I HATE folding hard-tops......if I wanted a coupe, I'd buy a coupe. With today's technology in multi-layered soft tops, you really don't lose as much insulation as you used to.

My C6 convertible is quiet.....actually quieter than the coupe because you don't have roadnoise coming in from the coupe's hatchback area. My previous BMW 3-series convertible was also really nice and quiet with the top up.

Also, I am one that tends to think that a nicely-designed soft top actually LOOKS good.....!

I really don't see why it's such a big deal. So some things need to be sacrificed to make it a convertible, who cares! If you like the car enough you'll buy it despite having to put the top up to get something out of the trunk(like it's such a big deal, its such a pain to press down that button, right?). It doesn't destroy the whole car, I mean it's not like you even have to step out of the car to put the top down or up nor secure any pins. Not a big deal in my eyes...

I really don't see why it's such a big deal.  So some things need to be sacrificed to make it a convertible, who cares!  If you like the car enough you'll buy it despite having to put the top up to get something out of the trunk(like it's such a big deal, its such a pain to press down that button, right?).  It doesn't destroy the whole car, I mean it's not like you even have to step out of the car to put the top down or up nor secure any pins.   Not a big deal in my eyes...

It IS a big deal.

And it's an even BIGGER deal because other manufacturers don't put the consumer through the same crap with their convertibles.

It's absolute RIDICULOUS to have to raise the top to get in and out of the trunk. Out here, my top is almost NEVER up on my C6 because the weather is so consistently nice. If I had to raise the top everytime I had to access the trunk (running errands, grocery store, etc.) I'd have never BOUGHT the C6.

Edit....not true....I'd still buy the C6 because I've always dreamed of owning a C6 convertible....BUT if I was looking at cars in the G6 class, I'd certainly buy something else over the Pontiac.

Edited by The O.C.

Wow, I dont know what to think of this one. Maybe they should not have let the word out about the car before they were sure it would be feasible. If they drop it now its bad, if they put it to market its bad. Either way their screwed.

I vote forget it. It will recieve less bad press that way then if released.

Edited by razoredge

GM looks bad if they cancel it. GM looks bad if they release it against other "practical" convertibles like the Sebring and Solara, both of which have decent trunks, although with cloth tops. A lot of Sebrings (around here at least) and I'm willing to bet a lot of Solara verts go to families with a kid or two as a compliment to the sedan/SUV/minivan/truck. Something mom or dad can drive to work all week and the whole fmily can pile in for a weekend trip to grandma's. If the G6 vert is as bad trunkwise as it looks, Pontiac is not going to steal any of those sales.

I would like to see a verified listing of other small 'under-deck' convertibles and what their truck access is like.

Ironic- I just saw a pic yesterday: the C3 Corvette was the same way: top filled the well behind the seats and there was no trunk lid period; cover panel had to raised & top unfolded to access storage. Never seemed to hold the Corvette back, but consumers are bigger pus.... uhh- 'more demanding' these days. Seemingly cargo volume would be even more critical in a 2-seater than a car with a back seat.... but if the bulk of this class has trunk access- this is poor planning.

but if the bulk of this class has trunk access- this is poor planning.

I'm pretty sure the G6 will be the only retractable hardtop near 30K. It's pretty much in a class of its own.

I'm pretty sure the G6 will be the only retractable hardtop near 30K. It's pretty much in a class of its own.

No, its in a class with the Sebring, Solara vert, Mustang vert and Ecplipse vert, it just has one nifty feature the others lack. The others are more practical, well I dont know about the Eclipse, I haven't really looked at any of the stats of the new vert.

Jesus...

Is GM ran by anyone with any common sense??? Does anyone run GM????

How can someone be so stupid???? GM: cutting costs at all costs, heck, we're even cutting tried and true standard features now!

I know... the G6 convertible was supposed to be the car the salesperson pointed to when you complained the Solstice had an inadequate trunk. Instead of rebates, perhaps GM should offer us a shrinkwrap kit. Imagine pulling up to a hotel in one... ooh, classy.

This is NOT a big deal! If you want to put something in the trunk, don't put the top down. Simple as that!! When you get to where you're going and take it out, then put the top down. Seriously, if anyone is that stupid, then they shouldn't be in a car anyway... It's amazing how people don't have common sense now days.

Edited by -Camaro-

This is NOT a big deal! If you want to put something in the trunk, don't put the top down. Simple as that!! When you get to where you're going and take it out, then put the top down. Seriously, if anyone is that stupid, then they shouldn't be in a car anyway... It's amazing how people don't have common sense now days.

Dude you are major clueless.......

:huh:

I've owned three convertibles before ('02 Miata, '04 330Cic, '06 C6) so I've got some experience living with them....

I don't know where you live, but here in southern California, my top almost never goes UP.

If I had to screw around with the top every time I wanted to access the trunk and get stuff out or put stuff in, I'd be so pissed I can't even tell you.

I want a convertible that I can LOAD up the trunk for a weekend trip.....and drive with the top down at the same time....you CAN'T do that in a Solstice.....and you can do that in a G6, but will have to screw with putting the top up/down/up/down/up/down every time you need to access your crap in the trunk.

It's stupid and an inexcusable mistake from someone like General Motors.....

As a former convertible owner, this is a BIG deal.

When I lived in LA, I had the top down all the time. I kept golf clubs in the trunk on the weekends. I put bags in there after I went shopping. Even on the east coast, I had the top down much of the time and kept anything valuable in the trunk.

Ask any convertible owner, they don't want to put the top back up just to get into the trunk.

I am a huge supporter of GM and want this car to succeed, but if I were GM I would delay the g-6's release, and fix this.

Dude you are major clueless.......

:huh:

I've owned three convertibles before ('02 Miata, '04 330Cic, '06 C6) so I've got some experience living with them....

I don't know where you live, but here in southern California, my top almost never goes UP.

If I had to screw around with the top every time I wanted to access the trunk and get stuff out or put stuff in, I'd be so pissed I can't even tell you.

I want a convertible that I can LOAD up the trunk for a weekend trip.....and drive with the top down at the same time....you CAN'T do that in a Solstice.....and you can do that in a G6, but will have to screw with putting the top up/down/up/down/up/down every time you need to access your crap in the trunk.

It's stupid and an inexcusable mistake from someone like General Motors.....

Your top still can be down most of the time, just not when you're grocery shopping or have to fill the trunk up with stuff. A weekend trip like camping it wouldn't be so bad, because you can just take everything out for the camp.. then have it down while you're camping. Besides you don't constantly need to access the trunk on a weekend trip, only some of the times. Just put the stuff you're going to need in the back seat and the stuff you don't need to access much in the trunk.

*Crys* I can't have my top up all the time... I just can't live like that, I can't believe it!! Now I'm not saying it's a good thing or that it should be like this, but if you can't live with your top up for a little bit or you're the kind of person in the situation where you fill up your trunk constantly then it won't be the right vehicle for you, but otherwise to complain is just being a cry baby.

And personally I'd delay this and redo it. It would be worth the extra cost.

Edited by -Camaro-

See, its not the fact that this car has such a weird way to get at the luggage. That's actually okay...if it were the first and only retractable hardtop. Its merely the fact that, oh, a dozen other retractable hardtops today both smaller and larger don't have those problems that makes it simply ridiculous.

Thats a pretty silly/embarassing flaw to engineer into a car, do any other current hardtop verts require that?!

Atleast it won't be a rental car staple, it would be a tough sell for families travelling in Florida or California to rent a vert that is that unpractical vs a Sebring.

Looking at this pic again, it looks like there is 0 trunk space with the top down anyway. Maybe that's why they didn't bother?

That's what I'd say--there'd be no place to jam anything in the first place. Other cars with similar tops can pull it off, because the sections are cut smaller and can stack more compactly, but if you look at the G6's, the main roof section is about 2 or 3 times as large as some others--that easily will cover/close off any trunk space.

Being able to get a hard top convertible for $30k would be a great thing, but this engineering "bug" could really make it a lot less attractive in the eyes of a lot of convertible buyers. Buyers that would be more than willing to give up the added "cool" factor and buy a softtop Sebring or Mustang that they can still get into the trunk on.

Never seemed to hold the Corvette back, but consumers are bigger pus.... uhh- 'more demanding' these days.

You can say is Balthy.... we're all adults here. :D

Looking at this pic again, it looks like there is 0 trunk space with the top down anyway. Maybe that's why they didn't bother?

If I remember correctly, the autoshow rep at Chicago last year kept saying there was either .8 or 1.8 cu ft of trunk space. So yes, it is pretty much 0.

Exactly, and the top operation isn't exactly fast. Half a minute to get the top up, a few seconds to put something in the trunk, and another half minute of waiting for it to get back down.

I guess one good thing is that it'll have a back seat (Unlike the Solstice)

That way, things normally stored in the trunk can be put back there.... So much for security though, I guess... And let us pray that wind doesn't howl through the interior and launch those light weight items into freeway suicide..

I would like to see a verified listing of other small 'under-deck' convertibles and what their truck access is like.

Ironic- I just saw a pic yesterday: the C3 Corvette was the same way: top filled the well behind the seats and there was no trunk lid period; cover panel had to raised & top unfolded to access storage. Never seemed to hold the Corvette back, but consumers are bigger pus.... uhh- 'more demanding' these days. Seemingly cargo volume would be even more critical in a 2-seater than a car with a back seat.... but if the bulk of this class has trunk access- this is poor planning.

The C3 was a pretty poor design---tiny on the inside, huge on the outside, no real trunk... something that bad wouldn't fly today..

I guess making a car fleet companies wouldn't want is a great way to make sure it doesn't get fleeted. GM really missed the boat, witha hard top and actual trunk space, they really would have had a winner in the practical convertible category.

I guess making a car fleet companies wouldn't want is a great way to make sure it doesn't get fleeted.  GM really missed the boat, witha hard top and actual trunk space, they really would have had a winner in the practical convertible category.

I really think GM would have been better off with a regular ragtop for the G6... it would have made it a better Sebring/Solara competitor, IMHO...

yeah, i am not too big on this flaw, either. i've had a few convertibles, including an audi cabrio with that cool auto top. we're out shopping for one, now. even though i am a michigander, when its "top down time" i am not going to want to screw around with putting the top up to get into the trunk and there are some things that you don't want to throw in the back seat. maybe this is why they tested the top so extensively. what was it, like 13000 cycles?

well, except for the Honda I am driving now, I've never only owned anything but a convertible and this wouldn't bother me that much. I never leave the car with the top down parked unless I am standing next to (like filling the gas tank) it. I hardly ever buy enough groceries to have to stick them in the trunk, and it seems that even if I could get to the trunk with the top stowed, I'd be able to get a loaf of Wonder Bread in there, tops. I'm not saying this might be a big issue for some people who would be using this as their only car, but it wouldn't be one for me- certainly not at that price point, and with the advantages of the combo of retractable hardtop, a decent sized backseat, and that price-point.

I just checked my manual. I read through the sections about the trunk and the retractable hardtop, no mentions that the top must be up for the trunk to be accessible.

However, there is one line here mentioned: "The retractable hardtop will not operate if the trunk cargo cover is not in place."

I wonder what this means, and is this the thing that is obstructing access to the trunk.

I just checked my manual. I read through the sections about the trunk and the retractable hardtop, no mentions that the top must be up for the trunk to be accessible.

However, there is one line here mentioned: "The retractable hardtop will not operate if the trunk cargo cover is not in place."

I wonder what this means, and is this the thing that is obstructing access to the trunk.

No, the cargo cover is one of those roll-out screens, similar to the privacy covers in SUVs used to hide the cargo area. At least this does prove that the G6 convertible has some trunk space with the top down.

No, the cargo cover is one of those roll-out screens, similar to the privacy covers in SUVs used to hide the cargo area. At least this does prove that the G6 convertible has some trunk space with the top down.

But I thought the question here is access, not space.

BTW, my trunk is very deep, vertically. So I suppose the top shouldn't eat too much space.

Posted Image

And the trunk, according to Pontiac.com, is double hinged.

Edited by ToniCipriani

It bothers me that so many uninformed guys can ramble on for so long about

things they don't understand.... the trunk can be accessed with the top down.

I was at the auto show today and watched as he opened the trunk in a

normal manner, and reached under the stored, folded hardtop. There is a

roll up privacy cover with storage underneath. Quit bitching about everything,

at least until you bother to find out the truth, Buickboy!

Edited by mightymouse

So, Mighty, based on the picture we have, how is the trunk accessed normally with the top down and how hard is it to do? It looks like you'd have to be a contortionist with x-ray vision to get anything out of the trunk.