Strange things said about your car

Flybrian

This struck me as random and funny. Today, a really old guy (80/90ish) in my neighborhood told me my car looked "smooth as a toilet seat." I had no response to that. Awhile ago, my girlfriend drove my car and said because the overhangs are pretty large compared to her car, that my car "is a big titty and big booty car." Yeah. Anything to add?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nice Jetta" to a Passat.

[post="5652"][/post]

Depending on the year, I can see where where some people might confuse a Passat with a Jetta -- at least looking at them from the rear (assuming they haven't taken the time to read the name on the trunk).

MKIII Jetta:

Posted Image

1990 Passat:

Posted Image

or

MKIV Jetta:

Posted Image

2001 Passat:

Posted Image

I remember a while ago when I was checking the washer fluid under the hood on my Cavalier at a gas station in Waterloo, a guy come up to me: "I like how the alternator is in the front of the engine. Is that an Accord?" I closed the hood and showed him the Chevy badge on the front.

I remember a while ago when I was checking the washer fluid under the hood on my Cavalier at a gas station in Waterloo, a guy come up to me:

"I like how the alternator is in the front of the engine. Is that an Accord?"

I closed the hood and showed him the Chevy badge on the front.

[post="5689"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hahahahah

Oh man. I was in AUTO TECH last year working underneath my hood. This kid comes up to me and says "Damn, that's a nice 8. You need to put a Z06 cam and exhaust on there. That'd be sweet." I looked up, shook my head, and counted out 6 cylinders to him. What an idiot.

While stopped at a redlight some moron motioned to me to roll down my windows. Him: "Is that a BMW?" Me: "No it's not." Him: "Oh, I thought it was because it had an "x" in its name." An xB is very different from a X3 and X5.

While stopped at a redlight some moron motioned to me to roll down my windows.

Him:  "Is that a BMW?"

Me:  "No it's not."

Him:  "Oh, I thought it was because it had an "x" in its name."

An xB is very different from a X3 and X5.

[post="5731"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

tut tut tut...
disgraceful...
if I ever came across that person I would spit upon him.

I get a lot of comments on my dent resistant doors.  At least its not a riced out V6 Camaro.

[post="5736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LMFAO...it's funny cuz it's true :lol:

I friend told me that his sister went the get her oil change with her xB..
and the guy insisted the car was an Astro and wanted to know why'd
she downgrade an engine swap...

I don't know if this counts, but I have a wealthy friend that only until a few years ago, never owned a car that had less than 8 cylinders (it so happens, he went down to a twin turbo V6 Audi S4 when he "downgraded")... He said to me while sitting in my 1987 Plymouth Sundance, "Hey, Paolo, this is great... let me get my grandfather's lawn mower and I'll race ya!" Or how about the time he insisted I put down all the windows (I didn't have power windows), when I was driving 70 to the beach. He reclined his chair back, and rolled both rear windows down at the same time, expressing, "Hey, I like this, it's a good workout." At least he makes it up to me by letting me drive his cars LOL I got another one for you... I won a bet when I tried to convince a guy at school I had a V8 in my Sundance... came out to the car, pulled the bottle out of the back seat! LOL

A coworker kept calling my Achieva a buick for the longest time

Not my car but I was watching a movie with my family and there was a scene where a Tahoe pulls up (the bowtie is pretty obvious) and my dad makes a comment saying "that's a nice truck what is it a ford?" I say chevy.. he say "Chevy Bronco?"... I just shake my head..and say tahoe.

I have aftermarket aluminum rims on it and a some people make comments like "nice mags you got on there!" Edited by Decka

Three days after I did some bodywork on my Camaro with bondo and primer all over the rear of the car like leopard spots, this Asian guy pulls up next to me at a red light in a gorgeous red late model BMW M3 and gives my Camaro a genuine thumbs up.... this is what the car looked like. By far the worst it ever looked EVER. Hideuous. And yet here's a "yuppie" checking it out. A great exhaust note and vintage iron will do that I guess.

I rolled down my window and told him his M3 was pretty sweet too, he says he loves Bimers but want a classic car real bad. A Camaro or a Chevelle perhaps. We talked untill the green light came up and he told me to rev it up so he could hear the intoxicating exhaust note.

Posted Image

Yes, I made all those black rings. The pavement is my canvas and the BF Goodrich tires are my paint. I'm all about getting a grant to "paint" all the time. ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

yeah, when i was in my van once some dude pulled up and was like "that thing got a hemi?" another time some guy was talking to me and asked me to pop the hood, he was like "man i really like these dodge 3.3 litre v6's my mitsubishi has a 3.3 but its not the same man"

Blame South Bay BMW. They use white, BMW-badged xB's as their "courtesy shuttle," complete with "SOUTH BAY BMW" windshield banners and license plate frames. I get many looks riding in it.

Camino LS6 said. "I could smell the Jeeps coming up the driveway..." in reference to my buddy and I's Jeeps after offroading. (Camino is still MIA due to a crappy computer) others i have gotten are, "how do you keep the doors clean but get the rest of your jeep dirty??" and "you should really clean your jeep and rock it with class..." i wanted to slap him...

Last fall I was driving in York, PA, when this guy pulls next to me in a semi crappy like '86 V6 Camaro and he yells out : " I like those trucks! Does it have a V8?" I said "No." He said "A V6?" I said "No, a 5 cylinder!" He said :huh:

Dumbass... so I had to put 'er in 2nd gear and leave his ass in the dust.
Edited by ocnblu

I often call my Chevy Prizm a Chevy Corolla, which causes odd reactions in some people. Quite a few people have insisted that my Prizm has nothing to do with a Corolla. I point out that both vehicles have nearly all parts in common and were made for years on the same assembly line at the NUMMI plant in CA. Some people continue to argue that such things are impossible. A few have even argued that my car looks nothing like a Corolla. Ugh!

• 10 months later...
The first (and last) time I took the Solara to Jiffy Lube the guy was going over all of my info, I looked at the computer and said, "I got a new car" (they still had my L200 in the system) and he said "Oh...(looked right at the car's trunk and said) What year Grand Prix is it?" Nothing stange said about my Fusion, yet.

After the accident where I was less T-boned by a `93 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale, I was talking to one of my firends about how My Dodge Shadow was able to drive away, without any damage beyond the inner and outer fender, whereas the Olds had it's front end smashed in, and the fan was hitting the radiator, parts of it wher all over the ground...and it had to be towed away. his response: "His PoS pissed one your PoS, but your's shit on his PoS"

Guest YellowJacket894
People have called the Dakota a "Ram" before. And that's it. Bewildering, no one asks if it has a Hemi. I count that as a blessing. Footnote: ...You know, I don't talk about that truck much. I guess I really hate it and never realized it. Can you blame me? It's as obnoxious as a Florida coke whore (no offense to people in Florida). Edited by YellowJacket894

Our business manager, knowing I look at LaCrosses and GPs on the web, told me her parents are selling a Grand Marquis :yuck: and that it was maintained, with low miles and that it would be a good deal for me ...SINCE I LIKE BIG CARS. (she sees my Regal at work). How asinine, I thought. I thanked her and then told her to look at the sleekness of a Grand Prix (more of a mid-size in my book) versus a bloated full size Mercury. I don't know if she "got it" or not, but I least I set her straight.

A guy I used to work with called my Mustang a Supra the first time he saw it...(I guess a late-80s Mustang hatchback vaguely resembles a mid-80s Supra). I was driving my mom's '68 Cougar once in Ohio, and when I came out of a convenience store, a teenager said 'nice Camaro!'.

Guy looking at Q45 about a week after we bought it:

Wow... what the hell is THAT? Looks like one of those
big luxury cars that you'd see Saddam Hussein riding
around in, esp. the black with the tinted windows.

Not sure if that's a complement or not.

Datsun Maxima:

(after seeing the "ghost emblems" on the trunk reading "RWD-IRS")

"That's not really rear wheel drive is it?" (several times now)

"So Datsun made a Maxima too? Do you think they'll sue
Nissan for using that name now?"

Ross's description of the Panther-Camaro as the Mad Max
Camaro is right-on.

Also for those of you that remember Tetanus Shot Marcia's
grandmother said it looked like the type of scary truck that
is in a horror movie terrorizing some innocent motorist and
then rear ending them to death.

That one I thought was cool. :P

At a car show with my '65 Mustang.  A woman walks up to me and says "That's a beautiful Chevrolet".   :wub:   :unsure:  :blink:  :wacko:

[snapback]6128[/snapback]

Better than having your Camaro called a Ford. Much less insulting IMHO. :wink: Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 years later...
QUOTE (Satty @ Oct 23 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was talking with the VP of my division on the way out to the parking lot today, we stopped by my car. He watched me unlock it then said, "I know you took a paycut, but I thought we paid you better than this."

I had a moment like that back in the Spring of 2000, when my boss--the VP of technology of the startup I was at-- saw the rusty '88 Bronco II I was driving then, and said something to the effect 'I thought we paid you better than this'. Later he also asked if I was paid too much when he saw my '96 BMW M3 and '87 Mustang GT that I also had at the time.

Same guy, a few months later, on the first day I drove my then-new '00 Grand Cherokee to work (traded the Bronco II on it around my 30th birthday), made a comment that to the effect that 'some of us are more superficial than others'...(i.e. I had bought into the whole Colorado SUV-driving outdoorsy image)-- flash forward a couple months later--he had just bought his humble new Prius then, and described it as 'the geekiest car he could find'.

Hiliarious. Edited by moltar

The Health Department Chairperson (who's also a friend) came out to my car and said, "Love the color! What is that, patina?" (referring to the poor paint job/rust)

QUOTE (Paolino @ Oct 23 2008, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Health Department Chairperson (who's also a friend) came out to my car and said, "Love the color! What is that, patina?" (referring to the poor paint job/rust)

At one point, my Bronco was 4 colors.... it was originally gold and brown two-tone... unfortunately, 7 years of Ohio/Michigan/Illinois winters took it's toll, and it started rusting around the rockers and fender arches. I trowled on bondo and sprayed gray and red primer over the rust spots. By 2000, it looked rough (only had 92k miles when I traded it on the GC).

...also, pulled into a burger joint at 2 ayem when I had my 66 fastback Mustang, and a bunch of guys (drunk out of their minds) couldn't stop talking about that "sweet 68 thunderbird"

Chris

QUOTE (66Stang @ Oct 23 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pulled up at work in my Miata, and I am not a small guy. Joe, my co worker called out "hell, that looks like an elephant riding a gnat!

Chris

I drove an early Miata once with the top up. It was painful.. I'm too big. Though I fit perfectly in a Boxster.

...also, my wife drives a Scion xB, first generation. I drove it to work once, and Francis my co worker said "hell, I'm a lesbian and damn near blind and even I wouldn't drive that thing."

My wife likes boxy cars, such as the element, old Volvo's, eighties BMW's, etc. Go figure?

Chris