NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, Concept Car Headed To Detroit

98 posts in this topic

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, Concept Car Headed To Detroit

The Cadillac CTS Coupe just bowed in LA, and next month in Detroit will see the 568 HP Cadillac CTS-V Coupe unveiled alongside an as-yet unnamed Cadillac concept rendered sneakily above. Is it..a CTS? ATS? CTV? CTX? XTS? WTF? IDK.

Also, anyone know what's reflected in the headlight there?

NEW CADILLAC CONCEPT, CTS-V COUPE TO RING IN THE NEW YEAR

DETROIT – Cadillac will premiere a new concept car at the 2010 North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 12, the latest in its series of dynamic designs. This latest concept advances the brand's Art & Science philosophy that has included a series of acclaimed concept cars in recent years, such as the Cadillac Sixteen, CTS Coupe Concept and Converj. The 2011 CTS-V Coupe will make its world premiere in Detroit as well, and will enter into production in the summer of 2010.

About Cadillac

Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and global expansion. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5431494/cadillac-cts+v-coupe-concept-car-headed-to-detroit

Detroit Preview: Cadillac to unveil new concept, production CTS-V Coupe

Under the typically dark veil of show-car secrecy, Cadillac has released a teaser image of a new concept that will be unveiled next month at the Detroit Auto Show. As you'd expect, details are slim, but we've been assured that this is an entirely new concept and something we've not yet seen, which rules out the Voltec-powered Converj as well as the 3 Series-fighting ATS.

Dissecting the teaser a bit, we're pretty sure we see four doors, and we'll take Caddy's word that its "latest concept advances the brand's Art & Science philosophy." Other than that, we're in the dark, but wouldn't be terribly surprised if it were either a hint at something high-performance, environmentally responsibility or both. It could also be a preview of a new range-topping model from GM's luxury division.

In addition to the unknown concept car, Cadillac also plans to introduce Detroit show-goers to the production version of its 2011 CTS-V Coupe. Expect that model to add the normal V-spec performance accouterments to the drop-dead stunning CTS Coupe shape that was just shown off in LA. That means 556 horsepower and 551 lb-feet of torque from a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine, a choice of automatic and manual six-speed transmissions, a sport suspension with Magnetic Ride Control and standard 19-inch alloy wheels. Production of the superfast two-door is slated for the summer of 2010.

There's not much more to say, but feel free to hit the jump for the official press release and be sure to gander at the concept's teaser image in high-res.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/22/detroit-preview-cadillac-to-unveil-new-concept-production-cts/

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I think that's the XTS because of the Sixteen vibe but I thought I heard from people who saw the XTS that it still had a fairly long hood which drew the eye and focus back when looking at it.

It looks like a four door car in the picture. Notice the door handles. I bet it is the XTS. It will hit production as a 2012 model. Go against S-Class and 7 Series.

Jalopnik has a picture of the Cadillac floorplan and in the very center is one that says XTS Showcar...

Clicky

The photo looks promising, but if it's front wheel drive it will be a bust. And what do they power it with? We haven't heard much on new GM engines lately, if this is a 2012 flagship, the engine out of the 08 CTS isn't going to cut it.

It looks like a four door car in the picture. Notice the door handles. I bet it is the XTS. It will hit production as a 2012 model. Go against MKS.

<cynical>

Corrected (if it's Epsilon II-AWD).

</cynical>

The photo looks promising, but if it's front wheel drive it will be a bust. And what do they power it with? We haven't heard much on new GM engines lately, if this is a 2012 flagship, the engine out of the 08 CTS isn't going to cut it.

But this isn't quite a flagship as it will be more of a DTS replacement, no matter how GM spins it. So an '08 CTS engine might do just fine.

Since they are presenting it as a showcar/concept whatever it is may not be what we get.

Though the drift seems to be that it will be EPII-based AWD.

I could see it being zeta too.

Guess we'll know soon, and I guess it depends on how soon they want to get it into showrooms. Something tells me they'd be faster getting an EPII car done.

But this isn't quite a flagship as it will be more of a DTS replacement, no matter how GM spins it. So an '08 CTS engine might do just fine.

I am in agreement there, GM will spin it as a flagship, but it will probably be a $40-50,000 front driver to slot in above the LaCrosse and attract the "traditional" Cadillac buyer.

Probably worse is it will get a couple cool features, but they won't give them to the CTS, in order to protect the XTS and make it look better. Much like the blind spot warning system on the STS.

Edited by smk4565

Guess we'll know soon, and I guess it depends on how soon they want to get it into showrooms. Something tells me they'd be faster getting an EPII car done.

<cynical>

LaCrosse w/ A&S interior/exterior.

</cynical>

Not necessarily related to the XTS, but one thing I wonder is if GM is working on any turbo V6s (something like Ford's Ecoboost) or smaller V8 development for future applications. (i.e. smaller than 6.0L).

The car looks hot, and I am praying for RWD and V8 most likely it will be a long EP-II FWD-based and six cylinder powered, although a Turbo 3.6L wouldn't be too bad.

Just revive the 3.5L Shortstar. That engine is a great V8 substitute. Excellent power delivery, decent fuel economy--better than what the LaCrosse gets with its 3.6L...

The car looks hot, and I am praying for RWD and V8 most likely it will be a long EP-II FWD-based and six cylinder powered, although a Turbo 3.6L wouldn't be too bad.

GM needs to start cutting back on V8s already. If a V8 is to be altered, it needs a hefty premium attached to it. Looking at hp and torque, today's 4s and 6s are approaching/eclipsing yesteryear's 8s.

GM needs to start cutting back on V8s already. If a V8 is to be altered, it needs a hefty premium attached to it. Looking at hp and torque, today's 4s and 6s are approaching/eclipsing yesteryear's 8s.

I understand to meet fuel economy and changing marketing conditions. I have heard it all, but in a car that is effectively replacing the DTS it needs at least a twin turbo six if not a small V8, even if it is FWD/AWD. I am sure this car will be hot, like the CTS, but a topline Cadillac without a V8 is kind of like a cake without any frosting. Sorry, I am not living in the right era clearly. I really don't care how much power four bangers or six cylindersare cranking out, nothing runs, drives or sounds like a V8. It is the way an engine is suppose to be, or rather the way God intended it. I don't mean to beat up on you but I hate everyone keeps beating the eight cylinders should be killed drum, with proper gearing and technology such as AFM an eight cylinder can get decent fuel economy.

Edited by gm4life

The problem is no matter how you slice it smaller engines can be more efficent. So less cylinders more efficency. With proper gearing and technology such as AFM an 4 and 6 cylinders can get even better than decent fuel economy.

I love V8 engines as much as anyone but untill someone finds a way to crazy mileage out of them the smaller and lighet cars are the path to the future like em or not.

Do you really thing GM is investing all this money into 4 and 6 cylinders just because they don't want V8's. It is just to the point they have no other choice.

You can put a girdel on a fat woman to make her look thin but they will still crush you if she sits on you. Simple physics can't alwasy be over come.

To be honest having owned every thing from GM from a Turbo 4 to a BBC the only thing missing on the smaller engines is the exhaust note. If done tight that can be over come too if anyone has heard a V6 Fiero. That is one of the best exhaust sound GM has had this side of a new Vette with the by pass muffler.

Edited by hyperv6

I guess I look at the fuel economy of a STS with a Northstar or even DTS and then look at the new LaCrosse that gets what 26mpg? The difference really isn't that huge between the six and the eight. Look at the 3.9L in the Impala LTZ vs the Impala SS, 3 or 4 mpgs for an extra two cylinders is worth it to me.

Fuel economy should be way down the list of factors on the XTS. If they can get good fuel economy that is a plus, but styling, features and performance are what matter. If they want to be like the S-class and offer a 19/26 mpg V6 hybrid but also V8 and V12 for those that crave power that is fine, but V6 only would be no good. A real full size luxury car needs 8 (or more) cylinders. Acura showed what happens when you go V6 only with the RL, they can't compete with the big boys (likewise with Lincoln). Hyundai gets 17/25 mpg from their V8 without doing anything special, GM should be able to do that, and that is as good or better than any Lambda or GMT900 can get. I don't see them canceling the Traverse or Yukon because of CAFE, they shouldn't cancel a Cadillac V8 because of it.

I guess I look at the fuel economy of a STS with a Northstar or even DTS and then look at the new LaCrosse that gets what 26mpg? The difference really isn't that huge between the six and the eight. Look at the 3.9L in the Impala LTZ vs the Impala SS, 3 or 4 mpgs for an extra two cylinders is worth it to me.

Or look at the Genesis at 17/25 mpg with 375 hp and the Malibu V6 at 17/26 mpg with 252 hp. Hmmm, hard decision there on which engine I'd want.

Just revive the 3.5L Shortstar. That engine is a great V8 substitute. Excellent power delivery, decent fuel economy--better than what the LaCrosse gets with its 3.6L...

90 degree design is rougher than 60 degree and the wide vee takes too much room, compromises safety / crush design

Not necessarily related to the XTS, but one thing I wonder is if GM is working on any turbo V6s (something like Ford's Ecoboost) or smaller V8 development for future applications. (i.e. smaller than 6.0L).

Internet rumours have it that GM had a twin turbo 2.8L V6 running at circa 400hp. I think that's the potential of the current block.

Cadillac's biggest problem is the lack of perception of the brand as an innovator or style leader. this is entirely due to the lack of available product launches. audi, bmw, MB have new product every year. they update important product frequently, and with this last generation, going back five years, bmw, mb, audi have into'd some fine product with enduring classy and sporty design and advanced tech. the cts is caddy's only new product in recent memory, since escalade already feels like it's been out four years. escalade to me doesn't feel dated, but cts is getting there. they need to consider that even with base models, they need to be style innovators. the surfacing on cts is getting stale, and that is it's biggest fault, capable of making the rear end too far retro. some styling trends work, some get overshadowed and end up looking quite different in time, i think CTS is already falling into the latter. but i get to stare at some of the best and freshest design/style choices on the road.

rwd is important. it's important to me, and in reference to driving dynamics it's important. but most buyers don't go in to the showroom asking for rwd. however, they do comparison shopping and are able to discern the key elements that make the particular model's driving experience better or worse than the previous driving experience. this is particularly important in luxury segment, because all of the competition is incredibly competent and drive incredibly well.

what's most important now is caddy save some face by intro'ing some new product. they need to be seen as a style leader, as a company flush with interesting new product choices, as a dynamic brand and one worth showing off to friends.

what matters most with xts is design design design, attention to detail attention to detail, detail detail, quality and new innovative interior design features. they need tech badly. they need superlative and powerful sounding and refined engine choices. they need a great hybrid option that's going to outdo mpg of every lux hybrid. they need to have a great invigorating and well insulated drive.

Edited by turbo200

It comes down to the fact the V8 are closer to the limit they can be taken where the V6 and 4 cylinders are no where close to where they can go yet. Most 4 and six cylinders are more tuned for power than anything and can have a lot more done to them to increase MPG. We have already been shown the future with more smaller displacement 4 and 6 cylinders with turbo's added. Less Displacement and less weight is the trend for the future.

The V8 will be around but very limited at best and only in low volume cars and as a option on trucks. If we ever lose them out of the trucks we will finally lose them in the cars.

They cut cylinder out on the Chevy truck engine ans skip shifts in a Vette for a reason. The time is coming where they need to do better MPG without the card tricks.

I don't like it either but that is just the way it is. I am at this point I am thankful I am not in a Smart sized car.

Edited by hyperv6

It comes down to the fact the V8 are closer to the limit they can be taken where the V6 and 4 cylinders are no where close to where they can go yet. Most 4 and six cylinders are more tuned for power than anything and can have a lot more done to them to increase MPG. We have already been shown the future with more smaller displacement 4 and 6 cylinders with turbo's added. Less Displacement and less weight is the trend for the future.

The V8 will be around but very limited at best and only in low volume cars and as a option on trucks. If we ever lose them out of the trucks we will finally lose them in the cars.

They cut cylinder out on the Chevy truck engine ans skip shifts in a Vette for a reason. The time is coming where they need to do better MPG without the card tricks.

I don't like it either but that is just the way it is. I am at this point I am thankful I am not in a Smart sized car.

The V8 isn't at it's limit any more than a 4 or 6 cylinder engine is. It's just that the domestics haven't really made a new V8 since the Hemi several years ago, and Ford's 5.0 coming next year. GM for example put development dollars into the 3.0 and 3.6 V6's and the 2.4 ecotech, and canceled the ultra V8.

V8's don't have to be 6+ liters either, GM could make 4.0 liter V8s with twin turbos and hybrid systems or anything else that they (or Ford) do on their small displacement engines. I don't think the V8 is going anywhere either, people will always crave performance and be willing to pay for it. The domestics that rely on trucks, may cut back on V8 cars, but BMW and Mercedes won't drop their V8s (or V12s), and a brand like Hyundai that has a 31 mpg average now, can afford to sell V8 sedans.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor